PDA

View Full Version : mp mold

redriverhunter
09-29-2012, 08:53 PM
hello all i took the plunge and got a mp mold, it looks and feels much nicer than another mold i have had, could some please supply me with some does and don't s i would had to ruin a quality mold thanks rrh

2wheelDuke
09-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Don't over do the pre-heating on the hot plate. Sprue plate lube is a good idea.

Is it a hollow point mold?

http://www.mp-molds.com/index.php?pr=Cramer_style_casting

white eagle
09-29-2012, 09:52 PM
red what cal is it for
don't beat it with a hammer
don't drop it
don't lend it to your buddy
if it sticks or snags up a bit you need to cast more to break it in
Have fun great mold

geargnasher
09-29-2012, 10:26 PM
It was all covered here pretty well: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=166147

Gear

redriverhunter
09-30-2012, 08:01 AM
thanks for the help it is a hollow point and its for 357 mag

MtGun44
09-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Flip over and open mold inverted to sit the boolits on the towel and let them
cool just a touch longer than normal to keep from damaging the 'too soft'
noses. Get some BullPlate lube from "BullShop" and use very sparingly.

Bill

MikeS
09-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Is the BullShop back in business?

captaint
10-01-2012, 12:11 PM
rrhunter - I believe it helps to run the new mold through 2 or 3 heat cycles in the toaster oven. I usually heat mine to 425 degrees and let them cool down to room temp. Any more, I do this to all my new molds. AND, to get some Bullplate or similar for lubing purposes. I really does work. enjoy Mike

MtGun44
10-01-2012, 02:35 PM
He is back posting, for sure. Not sure if he is selling lube, hope so.

Bill

Oreo
10-01-2012, 04:24 PM
He is back in business. Came across a couple posts he made today recommending his Lotac lube to folks.

bigboredad
10-02-2012, 01:37 PM
one thing that I found works really well especially on his .357 hp molds is to mix up a solution of alcohol the rubbing kind not the drinking kind and graphite and with a q tip coat the pins with it. It helps the bullets drop off and doesn't mess up the cavities if you get a little in them and it will actually act as a release if you do coat te cavities but I've never tried it. I just use a bottle cap to m ix the solution up and apply as needed. I believe it was Dale 53 that gave me that Idea

Iron Mike Golf
10-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Loosen the HP guide pins. They likely don't sit excatly parallel and bind easy. Loosen one or both and they will move free.

Pay attention to the outside bottom edges of the sprue plate and the bottoms of the spue hole. A burr or ding will result in scratches in the top of the mold block.

There's no hold-down at the end opposite the hinge bolt, so be careful about tightening that down too much. It will raise the far end of the sprue plate. I run mine so it's just tight enough to prevent gravity from opening it.