PDA

View Full Version : 223/556 ar load problem

Catsmith
09-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Have loaded pistol and 243 with good results. I am developing a load for my wifes ar and the rounds will not let the bolt go all the way forward into battery. It is hanging where it starts necking down. Leaves a scratch at that point around the case. It will feed factory rounds.

What should i be looking at to fix this problem?

GRUMPA
09-29-2012, 01:29 PM
I don't know if your crimping them but sometimes it will bulge the neck if done to much. Just for grins does an empty case feed properly?

I've used the LEE Factory Crimp Die and if the crimp is put on the neck with to much force it will bulge the neck, also Don't give that scratch a thought mine does that and I don't give it thought.
If an empty case wont seat in the chamber then that's because it wasn't sized properly.

Catsmith
09-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Well......empty case feeding.....about that.

I just tried it. Went to battery and will not come back out. At least i know the extractor holds on tight

Free advise.....do not release the bolt on a sized empty round to check if it will chamber. I have not got it out yet!

LUBEDUDE
09-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Wow, sounds like you just did some brass NON-fireforming.

Unlock the bolt and GENTly tap on a solid rod through the bore, the thickest wood dowel rod first choice or Brass rod, then go from there.
You Should be able to tap out the case with no damage to the gun.

Catsmith
09-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Update. The bolt is not unlocking yet. I talked to our catm armorer a few minutes ago and he said to use a piece of wood on the charging handle with it broke in half and try to get the bolt to unlock. "Whack the **** outta it, you won't break the handle. Your wife is gonna kick your @$$ cause it will not be quite as purdy. We usually use a bench or fence post". You gotta love a south texas military cop!

Then worry bout the brass

Anybody got any better ideas?

Catsmith
09-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Ok got it out, no damage so the bride should leave me alone. ;)

Now to the case sizing problem. I tried to mic the case and it appears to meet specs according to my speer manual. I am using rcbs "fl die set 223 rem p/n 11101." Sizing depriming die set to where the shell holder is almost touching the bottom of die. What might i be doing wrong?

Anyone ever had problems with the case lube giving problems with chambers?

LUBEDUDE
09-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Sorry, misunderstood, I thought it just would not EXtract. Did not understand that it would Not unlock.

Glad you got it under control.

GabbyM
09-30-2012, 02:53 AM
Ok got it out, no damage so the bride should leave me alone. ;)

Now to the case sizing problem. I tried to mic the case and it appears to meet specs according to my speer manual. I am using rcbs "fl die set 223 rem p/n 11101." Sizing depriming die set to where the shell holder is almost touching the bottom of die. What might i be doing wrong?

Anyone ever had problems with the case lube giving problems with chambers?

Set your full length sizing die to where it hits your shell holder then cams over a bit. Usually run the ram up then screw down your FL die to contact shell holder. Retract the ram then turn in the FL die an eighth turn and lock down.

In general most rifles that will not chamber rounds neck sized only which brass was fired from same rifle has a concentricity issue.

nicholst55
09-30-2012, 03:00 AM
You need to 'Pogo' the rifle to get the bolt open. Grasp the charging handle with the thumb, forefinger, and middle finger of one hand, and smartly strike the butt on a hard surface (floor, workbench, etc) from about a foot away while pulling down on the charging handle. You may have to do this more than once, but it will open the bolt. Unless you get just totally medieval, you won't damage the rifle.

A pause for the COZ
09-30-2012, 07:11 AM
I had the same problem when I first started loading for my AR.
Once or twice in a few hundred I would get a fail to chamber and have to cam out the bolt to get them out.
Real pain!!!

I solved it with a Lyman head space gage.
If it dont gage it dont get loaded.
Have not had one fail to chamber issue since I started using it. Even after sizing some wont gage.
The top image is one after sizing that is still above the no go line.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8220.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8222.jpg

I think allot of the 223 cases get the case heads mashed from machine gun use.I only gage new to me brass. I mark my hand loads that have been processed.
Primer pockets swaged,gaged, ect. Only need to do it once. No mark it gets processed. If it has a mark it just gets sized and reloaded.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8133.jpg

Catsmith
09-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks everybody. I am looking for the headspace guage now.

Larry Gibson
09-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Catsmith

What might i be doing wrong?

This is what you are doing wrong;

Sizing depriming die set to where the shell holder is almost touching the bottom of die.

Assuming that to be a standard RCBS FL die the shoulder of the case is not setting back far enough. Adjust the die so the shell holder bumps into the bottom of the die and the handle does not cam over. You also must then trim the cases to the correct oal as if too long the case mouth will jam into the chamber throat and the cause the same problem. An RCBS X-Die will solver the case stretch problem and you won't have to trim. Get the standard X-die as the "AR" or SB die is not needed.

Also another cause of the bolt not closing can happen if you are crimping the bullets with a roll crimp seating die. If over done the case can bulge or buckle slightly at the shoulder/body junction. This can be hard to visually see. The bulged cases can then prevent the bolt from closing. When crimping I prefer to use a Lee FCD which will not cause this problem.

All of these reasons can cause the bolt not to close with the loaded cartridge jammed tight in the chamber making extraction difficult. There are several methods to open the bolt on an AR which have been mentioned. There is one other that is also very effective but I'll only explain it in a PM.

Larry Gibson

GT27
10-01-2012, 09:52 PM
I had the same problem when I first started loading for my AR.
Once or twice in a few hundred I would get a fail to chamber and have to cam out the bolt to get them out.
Real pain!!!

I solved it with a Lyman head space gage.
If it dont gage it dont get loaded.
Have not had one fail to chamber issue since I started using it. Even after sizing some wont gage.
The top image is one after sizing that is still above the no go line.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8220.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8222.jpg

I think allot of the 223 cases get the case heads mashed from machine gun use.I only gage new to me brass. I mark my hand loads that have been processed.
Primer pockets swaged,gaged, ect. Only need to do it once. No mark it gets processed. If it has a mark it just gets sized and reloaded.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8133.jpg

This will solve your problem,if some are out of spec "86" them,since I got the Dillon CLG all of my AR feeding problems went away...GT27