PDA

View Full Version : Metal Funnel Source????

rbertalotto
09-28-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm a bit freaked out using a plastic funnel to pour Black Powder back into the bottle.

Although Schutzen powder now comes in a plastic bottle, would it be wise to use a metal funnel?

Where can one purchase an appropriate metal funnel?

waksupi
09-29-2012, 12:19 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. It gets so dry in my cabin, everything I touch sends out a static arc. I haven't blown up yet!
Dip your funnel in soapy water, don't wipe it, let it drip dry. That will take care of any static problems.

bubba.50
09-29-2012, 12:23 AM
buffalo arms carries metal funnels for use when loading black powder.

gandydancer
09-29-2012, 12:28 AM
do you have a drop tube? if so get a brass funnel. if no drop tube get the whole set up in brass.www.buffaloarms.com

uscra112
09-29-2012, 04:03 AM
www.mcmaster.com

cajun shooter
09-29-2012, 07:38 AM
The plastic static electricity myth has been debunked quite a while back now and there is no danger using any plastic funnel.
I have shot BP since 1970 with no ill effects and have used both metal and plastic. I think many hardware stores have the metal funnels if that is your choice.
I thought I saw where one of the suppliers like Midway, Grafs, or Midsouth has them online.

DukeInFlorida
09-29-2012, 08:05 AM
go to Home Cheapo, and rub a piece of flannel on a 4" schedule 40 PVC pipe, and then touch the pipe with your hand.... I've seen 4" sparks jump while loading bundles of PVC pipe.

I found a great metal funnel on eBay a while ago.

Ed in North Texas
09-29-2012, 09:23 AM
The only problem I've had with plastic funnels was flake smokeless "sticking" to the funnel.

Easy solution (for cheap old farts like me): swipe one of the fabric softener sheets from the box by the dryer, use it to wipe the funnel occasionally. That one sheet will last almost forever (or seem like it anyway).

Ed

Don McDowell
09-29-2012, 10:53 AM
40 years of pouring bp thru my rcbs plastic funnel, and haven't blowed nuthin up yet...

montana_charlie
09-29-2012, 12:32 PM
go to Home Cheapo, and rub a piece of flannel on a 4" schedule 40 PVC pipe, and then touch the pipe with your hand.... I've seen 4" sparks jump while loading bundles of PVC pipe.
So ... ?
http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html

RED333
09-29-2012, 02:56 PM
So ... ?
http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html
Great link, I was never worried about this, as heat is what makes powder go off.

Darto
11-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Midway sells aluminum/brass funnels, all the Satern brand, they have several, some for one caliber, some for a range of calibers. search ' Satern funnel '

L1A1Rocker
11-02-2012, 11:03 PM
How about a wrist grounding strap like the computer techs where?

drcook
11-03-2012, 10:22 AM
All you have to do is touch it once in a while and you will remove any charge if and that is a really big IF, if there is any static built up, which as every one says and has posted links to, is a non-existent worry.

When I build computers, static is a bigger risk as it will kill a CPU (computer chip) and other sensitive components. The answer is either to use a grounding strap or simply touch a piece of metal. So I just touch a piece of metal. I( haven't killed any computers yet, and I have built a lot of them.

If it makes you feel better, touch the plastic funnel every once in while and ground it out.

You can also rub it with a drier sheet. I have done this, not because I was worried, but there was a few grains sticking and since I take the time to weigh my powder, I want it all to go where it is supposed to. Does a small speck of powder dust make that much difference ? Of course not. Just personal preference is all.

If there was a problem, do you think that Swiss and all of its distributors would risk being sued in our sue happy society ? There is an awful lot of money riding on the fact that they ship black powder in plastic containers !

bigted
11-03-2012, 10:57 AM
just go to walleyworld and go into the kitchen area and purchase a metal...[aluminum]...funnel to save your brain some stewing. i bet ive used mine for at least a hundred pounds of black and countless smokless and no prob. the funnel will prolly cost all of 2.50 and pretty cheap even for a cheepo like me.

drcook
11-03-2012, 12:58 PM
There is a rose colored plastic funnel set that gunstores sell. It has various attachments. One of the attachments has an inverted cone. If you drill it out to the size of your droptube and push it on, the inverted cone covers the mouth of the case and prevents any powder from spilling out. The cone is the right size for 38-55's through the 45's and probably will go smaller and should cover the case mouth of a .50. but since I don't have a 50 I can't say it will for sure. Judging by feel on the overhang on a 45 case, it will be close.

This was the best thing I have done to keep powder from bouncing out and getting around the bottom of the drop tube.

Buzzard II
11-03-2012, 09:44 PM
drcook,
Great idea! Thanks!
Bob

cal50
11-10-2012, 05:22 AM
.49 cent aluminum funnel from a hardware store and one of my old arrows......

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu178/cal50/Droptube.jpg

Moonman
11-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Graf & Sons.