PDA

View Full Version : need REAL bullet info

I Haines
05-27-2007, 08:31 PM
Anybody have experience with Lee REAL .50 cal bullets in 250 or 320 grain? I have a TC 1 in 48" barrel. Looking to hunt hogs with a conical bullet. Thanks. IH

mooman76
05-27-2007, 10:29 PM
I have the 320g REAL. Have not shoot it from a TC but have shot it from a CVA with the same twist and it shoots real good. I would think the 250 would shoot good also but you might want the heavier one for hunting hogs anyway!

MT Gianni
05-27-2007, 10:44 PM
320 gr it groups ok in a tc Hawken. I prefer tc Maxi-ball when not shooting round balls. Game experience with the maxi's show no recovered boolets on 3 mule deer and 2 whitetail. No game experience with the lee other than jackrabbits. Obviously they were dead right there. Gianni.

I Haines
05-31-2007, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. I think I'll try the bigger REAL bullet and see how it shoots. While looking thru some old boxes I found a box of 350 gr TC maxi-hunter bullets that must be 20 years old. The lube had fallen off so I relubed em wih Lee Liquid Alox and will try em out. IH

44woody
05-31-2007, 10:26 AM
I Haines if you want to try some lee real bullets and maxxie balls that I have I will be happy to send you some of the just for the postage give me a pm if you want some of them :castmine: 44Woody

Blammer
05-31-2007, 10:50 AM
I shoot the Lee REAL in 250 gr 50 cal out of my 1/48 twist T/C renegade and my Lyman Plains flinter.

good accuracy, good velocity

ditto on the I'll send you some if you pay postage. I've got some 250 gr Lee REAL bullets.

Just PM me with an addy.

RugerFan
05-31-2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. I think I'll try the bigger REAL bullet and see how it shoots. While looking thru some old boxes I found a box of 350 gr TC maxi-hunter bullets that must be 20 years old. The lube had fallen off so I relubed em wih Lee Liquid Alox and will try em out. IH

You may find it is more advantageous to stick with the soft water soluble black powder lubes for your front stuffer. They are specifically designed to facilitate easier cleaning. Not sure how LLA will act in a muzzleloader.

Old Ironsights
05-31-2007, 11:50 AM
LLA and BP don't like each other. Tends to make cosmoline look easy to clean off.

versifier
05-31-2007, 12:54 PM
LLA & black powder.... Quote by Dean Grinnell(sp?) "It is often said that black powder and alcohol don't mix. The truth is they do mix but the taste is truly horrendous." :mrgreen:

IME, you will need to invent the barrel chisel to get the fouling out afterwards if you don't clean it immediately. Other tumble lubes like White Lightning or JPW might work, but I haven't bothered with them as I'm happy with T/C lubes for Maxis and beeswax on patches for rb's. Mostly now I shoot my own boolits in sabots and don't need any lube at all. I have tried LLA on MaxiBalls with Pyrodex, but found poorer accuracy and much more fouling than with regular black powder lubes. It came clean with hot water easily.

mainiac
05-31-2007, 08:39 PM
Been shooting the 320 real for a few months now. Groups under 2.5 inches @ 40 yards are easily done. Shot them from 50 on up to 90 grains,and never really found a spot that shot better than others. Weird! Lube them with plain crisco,and i can shoot 18-20 of them ans still push them done the barrell,slick as snot!

I Haines
06-03-2007, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the heads up on LLA and black powder. Only reason I was going to use LLA was that I found it in the same box as the maxi-hunters. Have shot roundballs for so long I haven't had any lubes for B/P bullets. Just got some Lyman BP Gold. Will try it instead. IH

Curly James
06-04-2007, 04:28 PM
I have taken three deer with the .50 cal. 250 grain Lee REAL from a T/C White Mtn carbine in the past two years. They all fell down pretty much where they were standing when I shot them. 90 grains of Swiss FFG gives me one ragged hole at 50 yards and about 4 inches at 100 yards. The carbine has a 1:28 twist and a really short barrel but is a sweetheart in thick brush. One thing when trying out any Lee REAL bullet. You might try lubing only one groove and shooting groups and work your way up to lubing the entire bullet. I have one rifle that likes just the bottom grooove lubed and will shoot amazing groups, while the T/C carbine likes the entire bullet smeared in lube. Also try a bore button felt wad between the bullet and the powder. I am also willing to send you a few of these in 250 grain and if you have a .45 cal. muzzleloader I can send a few of those also. CJ.

I Haines
06-06-2007, 12:59 AM
Wow, what a great forum. Lots of advise and people offering to let me try out their boolets. I took 44Woody up on his offer and want to thanks everybody else. Hopefully I'll be able to return the favor. Will post results of my testing. IH

burr7870
06-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Has anyone shot the REAL bullets in .45 cal with 150 gr of pyrodex? I have used the plated powerbelt bullets with good success on deer however they seem a little soft (one non-full penetration @ 50 yd). What would you lube these bullets with? I cast my own pistol/rifle bullets and the price of a mold is about what 15 of these bullets cost.

44woody
06-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Burr7870 I use criso and bees wax you will have to keep in a closed container becouse little critters like to eat it I had some in my camp one year that I had left the year before and the critters cleaned the jar out during the off season if you want some I will send you some just for the postage :castmine: 44Woody