PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning new dies

Char-Gar
09-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Recently I watched an RCBC video on how to clean new dies before use. They said it must be done and even sell a cleaner for that purpose. I got my first new dies in 1958 and have bought dozens of sets since that time. I have never cleaned new dies. I just screw them in and use them.

What gives with this. It smells to me like they have created a product that is not needed and are trying to make folks think they do.

09-28-2012, 10:26 PM
It smells to me like they have created a product that is not needed and are trying to make folks think they do.

Kind of like the Lee handgun carbide factory crimp die, huh?

I always clean any new or used casting and reloading equipment. Old habits are hard to break.

JesterGrin_1
09-29-2012, 12:26 AM
The last few sets of New Die sets that I have purchased did need to be cleaned. And that started with the very first new die set I purchased which was only a Five years ago when I started so I clean them all.

I use a Metal Loaf pan and take the dies apart and then soak them in Ed's Red and give them a good brushing.

And yep I started re loading at about the same time I joined this Crazy Nutty Cast BOOLIT site and was committed to the Lunacy of Lead lol.

LUBEDUDE
09-29-2012, 01:52 AM
My situation and experience is similar to Char Gar's. I've never needed to clean new dies before.

I've cleaned plenty of used ones that I have bought though.

Sounds like RCBS is now cutting out an important step in :takinWiz: quality control and now wants the consumer to pay for it in more than one way.

.22-10-45
09-29-2012, 02:16 AM
I have found traces of polishing grit in brand new RCBS dies..especially after poking paper clip thru air-bleed hole.

44Vaquero
09-29-2012, 04:00 AM
I think it is a result of what they are no longer doing at the factory! Cleaning the dies after finial polishing and assembly. Time is money!

As a general rule I have always cleaned my new equipment with a HD none environmentally friendly break cleaner anyway.

btroj
09-29-2012, 07:51 AM
I use an old bore brush, a patch, and some solvent. Clean em, dry em, the use em.

blikseme300
09-29-2012, 08:11 AM
Brake cleaner from Advance Auto is what I use to clean or degrease dies. The old formula, not the non-flammable green junk.

Bliksem
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mxjunky78
10-01-2012, 09:44 PM
I always take a close look/feel of them. If they look/feel like they need a cleaning, I clean them if not, then I load away.

Freischütz
10-04-2012, 12:38 PM
I've done the same thing btroj recommends. I never had a problem.

mdi
10-04-2012, 01:20 PM
I've never needed to clean new dies, but I do anyway. Newly manufactured/machined metal tools could still have machining coolant and mebbe some metal chips, and it certainly doesn't hurt anything. I keep a "soak" on my bench (mineral spirits, Marvel's Mystery Oil, and Kroil) that's really handy to drop a couple dies, or most any tool, in it to keep them clean and rust free. Soak for a day or so (or until I remember the tool's in there), wipe excess off the exterior, and I'm good to go...

Love Life
10-04-2012, 02:24 PM
All the new dies I have bought in the last couple years have had alot of machining oil still on them. I take them apart, hit em' with some carb cleaner, let them dry, and call it good.

gray wolf
10-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Kerosine + small coffee can + soak for 10 Min. wipe dry and use.

shotman
10-06-2012, 08:58 PM
WHAT is a coffee can?? and a SMALL ??

Gee_Wizz01
10-06-2012, 09:11 PM
I clean mine in my ultra sonic cleaner, using mineral spirits or dishwasher soap and Lemi Shine and water. I then dry them off and wipe down with a suitable rust preventive.

G

Jim
10-06-2012, 09:12 PM
SMALL coffee CAN-

http://floydpics.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/coffee.jpg

Arkansas Paul
10-09-2012, 09:08 PM
I clean mine. I just got a new Lee carbide 3 die set for .38/.357 and the expander had some sort of residue on it that made powder stick to the end of the case.

I don't know if what I do is recommended, but I just give it a good flooding with Gun Scrubber. It seems to work just fine.