PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play with Stihl chainsaws ?.

gew98
09-28-2012, 09:40 PM
I was just given some items from my late friends widow. One is a near new MS290 57cc Chainsaw. Runs damn fine...just missing the platic cover that snaps over the air cleaner area. Anyone have such a spare cover kicking about ?.

Sweetpea
09-28-2012, 10:12 PM
That is a decent saw there, depending on your use.

If nobody here has one, go check e-bay... chances are that somebody will have one cheaper than the dealer, which should be your last option.

Btw... running it without the cover is NOT an option!

cummins05
09-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Should have got a husky

Alvarez Kelly
09-28-2012, 10:24 PM
I own a Husqvarna... It's an OK saw... but I wish I had bought a Stihl.

Jailer
09-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Got an MS310 and I love it. Perfect saw for the amount of cutting I do.

Also have a Stihl FS90 weed whacker too and love that. Things got enough torque it will twist in your hands hard if your not careful.

Now if they just made a riding mower.........

Sweetpea
09-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Don't pay any attention to that... He obviously missed the part about it being your late friend's, and the good deal and all.

Seems diehard Husky fans think that theirs are better since Husky spends so much time making so many different brands of saws of all different quality levels, while all Stihl knows how to do is make the finest quality tools, and sell them only through qualified dealers that know what they are talking about...

So there is my rant... do as you wish with it!

alrighty
09-28-2012, 10:43 PM
I own a few Stihl's and the ms290 is one of the most popular.If I am not mistaken that is the one also labeled as the farm boss.Ebay has always had any parts I have needed from the 190T up to my 660.If by chance you can't find it shoot me a P.M. a close friend owns a local Stihl dealership and may have a parts saw laying around.

skeettx
09-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Check this out :)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=stihl+ms+290+filter+cover&_sacat=0&_odkw=stihl+ms+290&_osacat=0&_from=R40

375RUGER
09-28-2012, 10:55 PM
no cover, sorry.
I have a MS310 and love it. Before the 310 I would rotate 2 saws all day cutting firewood. I only need the Stihl now.

DIRT Farmer
09-28-2012, 11:16 PM
I have been running Sthil saws for 40 or more years. Good equipment, the only problem is the stuff that passes for fuel now days.

The small saws like a sharp chain, and will do a lot of work. I have built a lot of Ag buildings, built post frame for 30 years, 20 of which was full time. A sharp chain and some skill, the building looks like you used a regular hand saw.

The only place we did not use the Sthil was for topping posts. A saw dropped from the top of a frame has the same value as the rest of the scrap.

Any good dealer should keep parts saws and get new parts over night. You can save by waiting for a regular stock order.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-29-2012, 01:38 AM
my first saw was given to me...a very used Stihl 024
I took it in for a tuneup, then it ran like new.
since then I bought a Stihl 360 "Pro" for cuttin' bigger stuff, that is one heck of a saw.

I have cut along side guys using Huskys and Johnsrud...both are great saws too.
I wouldn't down grade either one.

Oh, I had a Pohlan for a while, that wasn't much of a saw compared to a Stihl.
I cut up 5 or 6 trees with it and traded it in for another 024 stihl that was in a parts saw pile.
after a little tinkering, I got it running, but leaks bar oil out of the cap...servere corrosion on the aluminum casting where the cap gasket is suppose to seal...I just set the saw "cap side up" when not in use.
Jon

Lloyd Smale
09-29-2012, 04:44 AM
I cut wood for a living when i was younger and used nothing but sthil saws. Since then ive had a johnseret and a husky and went back to sthils and wont buy another brand again. Ive got 3 of them right now and all three have been a 100 percent reliable.

Shepherd2
09-29-2012, 07:46 AM
I bought my MS290 from my local Stihl dealer on sale at a very good price. It wasn't a Stihl sale it was the dealer's annual year end sale. Anyway it's a great saw and I use it to cut 8 or 9 cords of wood every year.

EMC45
09-29-2012, 07:52 AM
290 is a great saw. I used to sell Stihl at the local ACE and that was the most popular seller. When we sold them they were called the 029 though. Same saw though. Throw a 20in. bar on there and get some pro chain from Bailey's and you have a mean set up that will work for you. The anti- kickback chain from Stihl leaves a lot to be desired.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-29-2012, 09:09 AM
The anti- kickback chain from Stihl leaves a lot to be desired.
Yeah I agree, but you can get a stihl chain without those anti-kickback links.
I think those oil-o-matic chains (grooved on the drive link) really help get oil out to the bar and extend chain life.
Jon

44man
09-29-2012, 10:39 AM
A lot of places to try for parts. Jacks Small engines, Cutters Choice, etc. I buy bulk chain from Cutters Choice, great company.
Top line saws are all great. I used Solo for years, made up the street from Stihl, still have the big one. A Husky is great.
Go to sears and buy their brand or other store brands will get you the lower stuff made to the store specs.
Poulan makes top grade saws but not for discount houses. So does Echo and Homelite.
Many engines have no bushings or bearings on the connecting rods, steel to steel. Go to a 50-50 mix and seize the engine.
Buy top names and better saws and you will never harm them and all companies make top lines.
Stihl is great but I suggest a compression release model. I am going to tell you it is a bear to yank the saw off the ground and hurt your shoulder or break the rope, Husky too. Very high compression.
The worst saw ever made was the Mac 10 but the top line saws were super.

Sweetpea
09-29-2012, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=excess650;1862439]Sweetpea neglects to mention that Stihl makes 3 levels of saws.

excess650, you are correct... and if you talk to your stihl dealer, he can point you in the direction of what is best for you... or you can go to walmart or home depot and guess!

I am not one of those people that believe in Stihl or nothing, but I do believe in buying quality tools.... husky and dolmar make some of the best, but they are not the be all end all either!

Texantothecore
09-29-2012, 03:01 PM
That chainsaw is a good one. I have one just like it.

Tip: When you run out of gas, sharpen the chain with a file. It will preserve the engine and working parts and will cut much faster. I learned this from a guy who drops tree for a living.

I have about 1,000 hours on my saw and I have only replaced the drive socket. It always starts on the first or second pull.

Circuit Rider
09-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Bought a Husky new 11 years ago. Finally gave up the ghost last spring, and was going to get a new one. no where near the quality now. Cheapened up to sell in the big box stores. Got a Stihl Farm Boss and haven't looked back. CR

Roundnoser
09-29-2012, 03:39 PM
I don't know what model number it is, but I bought a Woods Boss a few years ago, and love it. Runs great. I liked it so much I purchased a Stihl weedwacker last year. That thing will wack pencil-thick brush with no effort.

gew98
09-29-2012, 04:03 PM
I've got a 1997 Husqvarna 41...small saw w/16" bar. Got it for under $70 and it was used little to none. I replaced the fuel lines , cleaned it up and it is a cutting little bugger...... just not enough for most of my needs and it can be a bugbear to start easily.
I also have an older itsy bitsy Poulan - pre mexico make like my 41. It's got maybe a 10" or so bar and it's a running & cutting little bugger after I replaced all the lines and cleaned the cobwebs out of the carb. It was near NIB condition when it was given to me. Though I need to find out why it stopped slinging oil on the chain.
The 290 Stihl will be my workhorse as two good friends have very similar but older stihls and their saws always start and with a sharp chain cut like all hell.

gew98
09-29-2012, 04:06 PM
I own a few Stihl's and the ms290 is one of the most popular.If I am not mistaken that is the one also labeled as the farm boss.Ebay has always had any parts I have needed from the 190T up to my 660.If by chance you can't find it shoot me a P.M. a close friend owns a local Stihl dealership and may have a parts saw laying around.

Alrighty.... please do check in on that for me with your buddy !. I knew from the getgo that it's not good to run/cut without that cover. I don't do scumbay - gave it up over a decade ago.

alrighty
09-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Alrighty.... please do check in on that for me with your buddy !. I knew from the getgo that it's not good to run/cut without that cover. I don't do scumbay - gave it up over a decade ago.

Will do , also someone made mention on this post about Bailey's . I will provide a link , that is where I buy everything if I need bars , chains , and the all important PPE if not needed right away.However I didn't see one for your model ,only one for a 360.
http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?SKW=stihl%20026%20tnk&catID=1954

I will run by my friends shop Monday morning and let you know if he has anything.Several models should work so hopefully we can find something.I think new they run about 20.00-30.00.
http://www.hopkinsvillemowers.com/

gew98
09-29-2012, 10:47 PM
cool beans !.

EMC45
09-30-2012, 07:48 AM
I run a Stihl 021 and a Bailey's pro chain. Stihl offers a pro chain for the 029/290 it has the yellow colored rakers on it instead of green. Stihl doesn't make a pro chain for my small saw (021) so I went with Bailey's. This thing will CUT!

Dave C.
09-30-2012, 09:54 AM
I can juggle 3 of them but have yet to master the 4th.

higgins
09-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Check with the local packrats that specialize in small engine tools and lawn mowers. Most of those guys have junk piles of misc. stuff. The dealers around here take their "junk" to the scrap yard when the trailer's full, but a true packrat doesn't take broken tools to the scrap yard-there might be some screws in it they'll need some day. A plastic cover shouldn't be hurt much by laying out in the weather unless it was on the top of the pile, exposed to sunlight for a long time.

bearcove
09-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Stihl 056 for felling and cutting 025 for trimming and a little one with the recoilstart for littlestuff. that easy start one is cool. pull the starter cord out slow and it winds up a recoil starter PPTTTummmPBPBPBPB and its running.

Go to the Stihl shops and have them find one. Most small engine guys have a network of shops they can call for parts.

starmac
09-30-2012, 10:41 PM
Bearcove, did you mean 056 or 066, or has stihl changed their numbers completely.

To me it is just preferance as long as you compare pro saws with pro saws, and home owner saws. I run huskys 3 different sizes, but my buddy prefers stihls, he did go out and buy a 346 for a 50 cc class after he ran mine some though.

bearcove
09-30-2012, 11:38 PM
056 it was a typo.

edited

longranger
10-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Thirty five years in a very active Fire Dept., only saw I ever used was a Stihl, chipper chains for opening a roof and bullet chain to cut through metal doors or roofs. Now that I am retired I use Stihl and Solo. The Solo is the finest chain saw I have ever used all of the reliability of a Stihl but better made engine,better materials all around with vibration nearly imperceptible.My preferred saw for long cutting sessions and don't feel so spent at the end of the day.

44man
10-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Thirty five years in a very active Fire Dept., only saw I ever used was a Stihl, chipper chains for opening a roof and bullet chain to cut through metal doors or roofs. Now that I am retired I use Stihl and Solo. The Solo is the finest chain saw I have ever used all of the reliability of a Stihl but better made engine,better materials all around with vibration nearly imperceptible.My preferred saw for long cutting sessions and don't feel so spent at the end of the day.
I always loved the Solo and from what I read, they were the first making chain saws.
Problem is finding parts. You need a dealer close. Mine never has parts and needs to order them at high cost. I retired my small one because I need a bar and clutch gear. The engine is good for another 100 years but parts are crazy.
This little saw was my first Solo and it cut a thousand tons of firewood. I bought a huge one and it is still going strong, even cutting lumber with an Alaskan mill. It was half the price of a Stihl at the time.
I bought a Husky and have never been sorry, it is a cutting fool.
My daughter had a Stihl and could not pull it to start. I could not pull it. No compression release. Good saw if you can start it. I got tired of ripping my shoulder.
My huge Solo is easy to pull without a release and starts fast. The power can move a house!

alrighty
10-01-2012, 11:18 AM

I went by my friends shop today.unfortunately he didn't have any used covers.He did price me a new one at his cost for 25.00.If you can't find a used one let me know and I will ship it to you on my dime.

mtgrs737
10-01-2012, 11:23 AM
I own three Stihl's and a couple of Echo saws, Stihls are hard to beat. A friend had a 290 and they are good home and ranch saws, he cut a lot of fire wood with his.

gew98
10-02-2012, 05:29 AM
I went by my friends shop today.unfortunately he didn't have any used covers.He did price me a new one at his cost for 25.00.If you can't find a used one let me know and I will ship it to you on my dime.

Thanks a bunch . If I cannot find one I'll let you know !.

garym1a2
10-02-2012, 08:38 AM
My Stihls MS310 and MS390 are also a bear to start, 5-10 pulls. But once started they cut like no tommorrow and are great saws.

Nicw thing on Stihls is the local Ace carries their line so parts are easy to get and they serice them also.

I always loved the Solo and from what I read, they were the first making chain saws.
Problem is finding parts. You need a dealer close. Mine never has parts and needs to order them at high cost. I retired my small one because I need a bar and clutch gear. The engine is good for another 100 years but parts are crazy.
This little saw was my first Solo and it cut a thousand tons of firewood. I bought a huge one and it is still going strong, even cutting lumber with an Alaskan mill. It was half the price of a Stihl at the time.
I bought a Husky and have never been sorry, it is a cutting fool.
My daughter had a Stihl and could not pull it to start. I could not pull it. No compression release. Good saw if you can start it. I got tired of ripping my shoulder.
My huge Solo is easy to pull without a release and starts fast. The power can move a house!

3006guns
10-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Stihl Farm Boss......bought one new back in 1982 with a 32" bar fitted at the factory. My Mac would outcut it every time as the Stihl was simply over barred for the size of the power head. I was told years later that Stihls sometimes need a break in period before they attain full power....too bad I gave it away long before that.

One thing I DID learn from the local loggers was to get a "green weenie". This is a tubular green foam air cleaner that replaces the stock unit, just slips over the carburetor throat and stands straight up, wiggling in a most unusual way....hence the name. Since it's so long it has a large surface area and will allow much longer running times before cleaning is required.

375RUGER
10-02-2012, 08:59 AM
I can juggle 3 of them but have yet to master the 4th.

running or off?

alrighty
10-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Stihl Farm Boss......bought one new back in 1982 with a 32" bar fitted at the factory. My Mac would outcut it every time as the Stihl was simply over barred for the size of the power head. I was told years later that Stihls sometimes need a break in period before they attain full power....too bad I gave it away long before that.

One thing I DID learn from the local loggers was to get a "green weenie". This is a tubular green foam air cleaner that replaces the stock unit, just slips over the carburetor throat and stands straight up, wiggling in a most unusual way....hence the name. Since it's so long it has a large surface area and will allow much longer running times before cleaning is required.
I have a 660 magnum and only run a 25" inch bar on it.I do have a 28" that I can swap if needed.Whoever sent your 029 out the door with a 32" bar must have been hitting the sauce.I run an 18" on mine with a semi chisel and that is about the optimal length.Not many run the green weenie around here any more , EPA and the forestry service has cut down ,pun intended, on what loggers can use.You have to have a Forestry service approved mufflers and filters anymore.Most will put a dual port muffler and a max flo or K&N filter on their saws now.My farm boss can get a little tedious to start at times as well but only if I have left gas in it for a couple of months.The 660 will start on the second crank every time though.The compression release valve makes life so much easier on that beast.I still get a big smile on my face when I pull that throttle back.It is about the same smile that I got when I shot my first hand cannon:bigsmyl2:

quilbilly
10-02-2012, 05:37 PM
I just got a new MS 290 myself after having had one of the small ones for twice as long as it should have lasted (10 years and couple hundred hours). You should have a Stihl dealer nearby to get that part.

x101airborne
10-02-2012, 09:34 PM
If anyone has the top of the cylinder that is threaded but no compression release, it can be added cheaply.

One thing to remember, and I just burned up my 026 pro doing this,,,, my air filter was apparently clogged making my saw run rich. So I leaned out the carb. Another 100 hours and it did it again, so I leaned it out more. The the plug went bad, so I got a kit for the air filter, fuel filter, spark plug, etc. Ony issue was.... I did not enrich the carb after doing the service. It ran about thirty minutes before losing all compression. Galled cylinder and useless piston. Just a word to the wise.

starmac
10-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Lean fuel is what kills 90 percent of dead saws.
I always blow out the air filter and touch up the chain at every fill up, but I don't use a saw much any more.
At least your 026 is a pro saw that can be rebuilt fairly cheap and easily, that is the downside to the homeowner saws.

lavenatti
10-03-2012, 06:57 AM
I have an 029 that's cut more firewood than I ever would have imagined a saw could cut.

I went looking for a new (bigger) saw a few years ago. The guy that worked at the local husky dealer told me he uses Stihl saws so I went and got an MS390.

x101airborne
10-03-2012, 08:14 AM
I have a NEW MS390 that I got out of a junk yard for 3.00. Same issue, I dont believe anyone actually mixed any gas and just ran straight regular. The bar is still in new condition and the chain is sharp. Problem with it is, that thing is turning out to be a BOOGER to just tear down much less to rebuild. My stihl dealer told me he wanted 250 to rebuild it, so I just bought a new farm boss when my 026 burned up.

Philngruvy
10-03-2012, 08:44 AM
I traded it in for another 024 stihl that was in a parts saw pile.
after a little tinkering, I got it running, but leaks bar oil out of the cap...servere corrosion on the aluminum casting where the cap gasket is suppose to seal...I just set the saw "cap side up" when not in use.
Jon

You might try patching the corroded area with some JB Weld.

44man
10-03-2012, 08:44 AM
They are a bugger to tear down and I would never pay to have it done. I was a mechanic for years so it is not that hard.
Keep them lubed right and a good 2 stroke can run forever. I even flew some on quarter scale airplanes, wonderful engines. I would start the engine on the plane and we would sit and drink coffee while it ticked over. Advance the throttle and the plane was gone into the sky without a burp.
A million tons of firewood and and planks from logs and I have never had to go into a saw engine of my own.
Neighbors bought cheap and some would seize when they cut oil.
A good engine can go with 100 to 1 Amsoil mix.
Any engine that calls for 25 to 1, never change.