PDA

View Full Version : Sharpshoot buckshot mold--Too hot to handle!

John in WI
09-28-2012, 09:23 PM
I've been casting a lot of buckshot with a #1 and #F Sharpshooter mold. They work best when I run them hot and they are working well.

I have a problem though--soon enough they get way too hot to handle, even with good leather gloves on. The grips are just roasting hot. And the only solution is to switch to the other mold until the first one cools off enough to handle again.

It looks like the handles are just blocks of hickory or some other hard wood wood-screwed to the aluminum blocks.

Does anyone have an idea how to keep them a bit cooler? I was wondering if I could remove the handles, then install a thin spacer between the metal and the wood, and re-install the handles. I bet even a couple milimeters of air gap would do wonders for keeping the handles cool.

Any other easy solutions? Making buckshot is one of those things where I would like to just produce a mountain of shot in one go, cut all the balls from the sprue, and re-ingotize the sprues. I've been shooting a lot of buckshot, and would like to just make a many-year supply of it at one go. Kind of concentrate the pain down to a weekend or two.

2wheelDuke
09-28-2012, 09:44 PM
I've heard that the Ove Gloves are better than even good welding gloves for insulating your hands from hot molds. I was told this by a guy that made his living casting fishing sinkers for a while.

I was having the same issue with my 00/#4 sharpshooter mold. I thought back to what sinker man told me about the Ove Glove being the best casting glove, and I ordered a pair off Amazon. I'm expecting them any day now.

beagle
09-28-2012, 09:58 PM
I have the same problem. Looking for a solution as well./beagle

shotman
09-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Take a 1in mop /broom or old shovel handle and cut in half. It easy with a table saw , but not hard with a hand saw . cut Before you cut length. Then cut to 8in. the screws that he used will work for the "new " ones . dont get hot with out gloves
I tried to get him to do that but is like the guys here you cant fix stupid

Lloyd Smale
09-29-2012, 04:51 AM
I use my welding gloves to cast with it.

HiVelocity
09-29-2012, 10:44 PM
I use my welding gloves to cast with it.

+1 using welding gloves.

You have to keep the mold hot to produce decent buckshot; keeping your hands from getting burned is another issue. I, too, use welding gloves. Just go by a welding shop and ask if they have any "old" welding gloves they plan to throw out and tell them why you need them. How I got mine. And they work.

HV

Kskybroom
09-30-2012, 03:13 AM
Like Shotman
I made a set of handles out of scrap wood. On the table saw . I cut slots to match the mold handles, about 10in long, an used the screws from the mold.
Does that make scents ??
Ken

Slow Elk 45/70
09-30-2012, 03:53 AM
Yup , makes perfect cents to me, Ya know necessity is the mother of invention....+1 for good common cents....:redneck:

RED BEAR
09-30-2012, 02:25 PM
i had the same problem so i made new handles out of a scrap piece of oak .i countersank the handles and used small washers to lift the handles away from the mold to allow the air to flow between the mold and handle. still use a glove but works great . i some times cast for 5 to 6 hours at a time with no problem

MikeS
09-30-2012, 11:47 PM
I use a pair of Ove-Gloves. Nothing compares to them when it comes to keeping away heat!

plainsman456
10-03-2012, 07:56 PM
I had my brother in law make me some longer handles out of oak.
They still get warm but with welding gloves on,one can still get those shot out.
They add up real quick.

John in WI
10-03-2012, 08:38 PM
i had the same problem so i made new handles out of a scrap piece of oak .i countersank the handles and used small washers to lift the handles away from the mold to allow the air to flow between the mold and handle. still use a glove but works great . i some times cast for 5 to 6 hours at a time with no problem

Great minds must think alike! I used a couple of washers to lift the handle slabs a few milimeters, and just re-installed the original handles. It gets kind of warm, but I was able to keep going for a couple hours (until my grip started wearing out instead).

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Mechanix brand are good for that as well.