PDA

View Full Version : 308-165-SIL..., yet again

sundog
05-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Anyone want to venture a guess on max rpm for this boolit, water quench, WW & range scrap. Also got a bunch what were heat treated over the winter. Cast about 600 of them today.

In case it makes any difference, they'll be shot in a 03 with 4 groove HS bbl that is in very good condition.

I did a search on this boolit but did not come up with what I needed - lots of stuff, but no rpm discussion. That's why I'm asking. Cuts down load development time if anyone has something that's already working. Powder and charge recommendations?

Yea, I know, I can haul all my garbage out to the range and just do it. I've used a bunch of these boolits and sometimes they work real good and sometimes not. What say y'all?

felix
05-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Corky, try a case full of spotter powder for 3 rounds, which is equal to 39 grains. Bounce case on table before inserting boolit. Oops, this is a 308W load. ... felix

Bass Ackward
05-28-2007, 06:58 AM
Rpms? ............ depends on the powder speed you want to run.

I would size about .001 over bore and seat out. Then get some 7828 or RL22 and start around 48 grains and come up in one grain increments. Dang near forgot the pistol primer. That will get you another 100 fps of them accuracy robing RPMs.

sundog
05-28-2007, 09:21 AM
Bass, you're gonna have to help me here with the pistol primer...

I've got 7828, RL22, and DP86 (uses AA3100 data). Any of this will get about 2K for starters (144K rpm).

sundog
05-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Bass, never mind about the primer ?, I read the other thread...

I guess what I really need is a slower twist bbl. Same ole problem we've been fighting forever shooting cast in guns that were designed for those new fangled copper clad things.