PDA

View Full Version : Romanian 22 test

Freightman
05-27-2007, 05:21 PM
I was sitting here wondering how powerful a super colibri was so I got the old phone directory and took my 1969 Romanian 22 bolt action that I shoot tree rats with the SC ammo and shot into the dry book. Well the slug went .97" into the book and the little 20g slug expanded to .301 why did I do this? well the little round is deadly on the tree rats much more than my .177 pelett gun, one shot drops, and I was just wanting to know how deep the slug would go.

corvette8n
05-27-2007, 05:50 PM
I shoot the regular colbri all the time in my cellar range.
Wonder how they perform.
here is a pic of the Romy I bought for my grandson
it had feeding problems and was non matching #'s so I redid the stock.
I have a second one that is all orig.
best $50. bucks ea. I ever spent.

http://members.localnet.com/~vette85/blonde_Rom.JPG

Freightman
05-27-2007, 06:04 PM
Mine is as accurate as some of the dudes high dollar 22's at the range. I never say a word but shoot next to a friend who has a $1000 gun and at least that much in a scope and I shoot almost as good of groups as he does at 50 yds and I use the regular sights. He is almost 80 so I say nothing hope I am still shooting at 80.

Buckshot
05-28-2007, 07:44 PM
..............When we first moved to town, I'd come home from work in the AM and the high schools athletic fields would be covered with seagulls. Haven't seen hide nor hair of'em for a couple years now. Then we had a bad infestation of crows. Donna had a birdbath in the back yard and one out in the corner of the front yard under a Crepe Myrtle tree.

The crows didn't visit the back yard one as I think it may have seemed too crowded with a fence and an olive tree close by. However they did use the front yard one. A bunch of'em would land in the Crepe Myrtle and set up a regular hootenanny as they took turns fluttering down to the birdbath for a drink.

The noise could get wearisome on occassion but every now and then the Mocking birds would call in the clans, and the crows had a devil of a time. That was entertaining.

So one day I was at the workbench in the garage and the door was up. There were some crows that had just shown up in the crepe Myrtle. Just so happened I had a Savage-Stevens 22RF boltgun (among a couple other rifles) leaning against the reloading bench, so I got a box of Super Colibri's. Both were kind of new to me at the time, and the Savage had never fired a Super Colibri before, so it wasn't sighted for them.

My lot is 85' wide and I'd later paced the distance from where I was to the birdbath. It was 72 feet. A crow flew down and began hoping around the birdbath's rim. I remembered when I shot the Colibri's at 25 yards they required a goodly amount of elevation. My first shot was high, as the next hit the crow and I'd dropped the crosshairs about half the distance for that one.

The crow let out a surprised AAAWWRRROOOOOOKE! and fell off the edge of the birdbath. I'd hit it broadside and I think penetrating the wing took most the energy from the little light slug. It was still pretty active but couldn't seem to get it's legs up under itself. Whenever Donna and I would go visit the folks in Arizona, on the way home we'd stop and pick up a couple good sized black lava rocks. She likes'em in the flower bed, so I picked one up and dropped it on the crow as a finisher.

A shot to the back or the chest was deadly, but I swore off broadside hits :-). We normally get a fresh breeze in the afternoon, and shooting through that across the front yard would do wondrus things to the little Colibri's. They peter out pretty quick. At 20 feet across the garage they'd go a 1/4" into a piece of MDF.

................Buckshot