PDA

View Full Version : Official Goat Cheese Makers Thread

Just Duke
09-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Official Goat Cheese Makers Thread
I watched this on a food channel at a diner. It was pretty vague.
Anyone here made it or like it?

Dale in Louisiana
09-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Many years ago I had a milk goat. got a couple of quarts a day, and the children wouldn't drink it, so I made it into cheese using a pretty generic recipe calling for rennet to set the curd, draining through cheesecloth, and pressing using a home-made press. the cheese was excellent, somewhat like a mozzarella. Well worth the effort if you have time and a goat or two.

dale in Louisiana

Gliden07
09-30-2012, 12:50 AM
I did make it I bought a kit from here http://www.cheesemaking.com/

The hardest part was finding the milk. You dont need the kit you can assemble most of the stuff from your kitchen drawers and order the rennet and cultures online. Instead of the molds you can use cheese cloth or go to Grocery store and get a couple berry containers. The biggest thing is quality and freshness of milk you can't use any milk that has been "Ultra Pasturized" you need whole milk it can be Paturized but if you can get "Raw Milk your cheese will taste better.

MT Gianni
09-30-2012, 06:00 PM
I milked goats as a child from age 5-14. IIRC, Mother made cheese occasionally from rennet culture. I remember not caring much for it and that it was a soft white cheese.
Feta cheese is made from goat milk and occasionally from sheep milk. I am sure that the culture has more to do with it than the milk it's self.
I am not familiar with a goat milk cheese that would be sliced, more usually crumbled and cooked for flavor.
We milked mainly Nubian goats and kept them on grass that would give a good amount of cream to a Holstein cow but not nearly 1/3 as much per gallon of goat milk.

Moonie
10-01-2012, 12:17 PM
I milked goats as a child from age 5-14. IIRC, Mother made cheese occasionally from rennet culture. I remember not caring much for it and that it was a soft white cheese.
Feta cheese is made from goat milk and occasionally from sheep milk. I am sure that the culture has more to do with it than the milk it's self.
I am not familiar with a goat milk cheese that would be sliced, more usually crumbled and cooked for flavor.
We milked mainly Nubian goats and kept them on grass that would give a good amount of cream to a Holstein cow but not nearly 1/3 as much per gallon of goat milk.

Actually most of the Feta in the US comes from cow milk as goats milk Feta is too strong in flavor to sell well here.

I've made Feta using cows milk and it works very well.

I do not have access to goats milk to try making cheese from it.

Pb2au
10-09-2012, 03:56 PM
We do a pretty simple method of cheese making.
1/2 gallon of milk
1/4 cup of white vinegar
big pinch of salt.

Put the milk in a pan and heat it up to juuuuuuuuust below a full boil. About 190 F. It will get slightly foamy on the top and you might get a few small bubbles blubbing (yes that is a real word) up.
Kill the heat and pull it off the burner. Add the Vineger. It will form curds almost immediately. When it has curdled, pour the whole mess into strainer lined with cheese cloth. When the whey is mostly drained off, throw in the salt, mix it in, and then re-wrap in cheese cloth and put a big can of beans on top of it to press it. Go do something else for about an hour or so.
Remove from cheesecloth, put in fridge, enjoy at your leisure.
For kicks, you can add herbs into the curds when you add the salt.

375RUGER
10-11-2012, 03:06 PM
I like goat cheese but I've never made any kind of cheese.

44man
10-15-2012, 08:51 AM
My neighbor has a lot of goats and makes cheese, it is GOOOOD, she flavors with all kinds of herbs with some.
She gets big bucks for it but has given us some.
The milk itself is real good.
I would not want to care for all the animals. I never seen a woman work so hard in my life. Jim is retired but never quits either, their expenses are super high.
He started pigs too and sells meat at farmers markets. He is on the go all day, came back with a million pounds of pumpkins for the pigs. On the search for free food never lets him sit down.
Another neighbor raises goats to sell for meat, I don't think I can eat the wild taste, I can't stand buck meat either and shoot doe or young ones. Some of that stuff STINKS! I remember someone cooking mutton when I was a kid. It stunk up the whole neighborhood. Then a black guy put goat in the micro wave at work and drove all of us out of the building.

Just Duke
12-15-2012, 12:44 AM
Btt .............

fryboy
12-23-2012, 11:53 PM
being lactose intolerant i was raised on goat's milk , a lady down the road would beg cream and let it sit out until it self curdled she then wrapped it up in a cheesecloth ( several layers ) and hung it up to umm cure , it was soft and good but best when smoked in dad's smokehouse !!!

Just Duke
03-11-2014, 09:15 AM
From the past.

Just Duke
03-11-2014, 09:17 AM
What kind of crackers could one make from Red Winter Wheat we have set aside?

reloader28
03-11-2014, 10:39 AM
We aint made cheese, but if someone wants to try and make some, come on over.
Our goats all had babies in the last month and I could send you home with a couple gallons of milk.:kidding:

As far as crackers go, I'll have to look in my dehydrater cookbook. I think theres several recipies there. I have red winter wheat myself, and I dont know why you couldnt just grind it into flour for whatever you want.

Just Duke
03-11-2014, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the offer. I do have several grinders that's for sure.

Bonniebelle
03-17-2014, 06:28 PM
We recently bought a milk goat. I hope to be making cheese (and lots of other things) next year - or sooner, if we can find another one in milk