PDA

View Full Version : Handle Slots

woody12
09-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Hey there.
Would some one be so kind as to provide the depth of the slot on lee molds. I have searched high and low and only managed to to find the width which I believe to be .310''. I cut a .410 fosters for myself and just wanted to be certain before machining the slots.
Cheers guys.
David.

Wayne Smith
09-28-2012, 08:07 PM
One cavity, two cavity or six cavity? Or are they all the same?

turbo1889
09-29-2012, 11:54 PM
He must be talking about the 6-cav since the handle slots on the double and single cav. are a lot narrower and the handles aren't removable and a WAG tells me he wants to use Lee six cavity handles for his custom mold (a very common set-up). The blocks (as a closed pair) on a Lee six cav. are approx 1.50 across the main blocks and approx 0.73 across the center of the slots meaning the slots are each both approx 0.38+" deep.

From what I know of custom molds the slots can be anywhere from 0.33" to 0.50" deep and fit the Lee 6-cav handles provided there is enough block width in-between the slots so that the mold will fully close before the handles reach their maximum close point (when closed all the way the front tongs aren't touching) and the screw or pin holes are drilled far enough out on the slots.

woody12
09-30-2012, 08:12 AM
Thank you kindly apologise for my slow response. The 6 cav commercials are exactly what I was looking for turbo. I managed to find screw hole info so I have it all now guys, cheers. I will do a write up start to finish on the making of said mold which was cut using a d-bit.
Cheers.
David.

turbo1889
09-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Pictures would be nice as well :)

woody12
10-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Not a problem turbo. Thank you for the info too. Write up will be middle/end of next week including pics my freind :) In france for a few days. I think I will post in casting for shot guns (unless there are any objetions). Before now I have made my own handles for the moulds I have cut. When it comes to passing moulds on (not that I am, or aim to go commercial) it can become some what problematic. Just thought I would uniform everything.
Thanks again.
David.