PDA

View Full Version : Gun Oil

azrednek
09-27-2012, 10:53 PM
I've been a long time user of Rem Oil but that changed today. Nothing in particular against Rem Oil but I have been a bit dissatisfied with the price. I walked away from Rem-Oil about a year ago because of the nearly $9.00 price for a 10 oz aerosol can. Can't recall for sure. it was either Cabela's or Sportsman's Warehouse.

Today I had to change a circuit breaker at at rental. My tenant was not at home so through my pile of keys to open padlock into the back yard. The stubborn padlock desperately needed oil which I didn't bring with. While at Home Depot for the circuit breaker thought I'd see if they had any oil for cheap before resorting to the initial plan of dripping a few drops off of my truck's dip stick.

I found a can of Blaster brand so-called "All Purpose" lubricant. It is from the same company that makes PB Blaster marked down to only a $1.99. I assumed it would be another WD-40 copycat. As soon as I sprayed it, I recognized the Rem Oil odor. I compared it again with the nearly empty can of Rem Oil at home.

It looks, smells and feels exactly like Rem Oil. I'm going back tomorrow and buying another can. Possibly the low, marked down price is a close out. It will take a couple days to see if it turns gummy like WD-40 but my guess Blaster is coming from the same source as the Remmy.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/TracySmith102.jpg

waksupi
09-27-2012, 11:01 PM
Why not just make a batch of Ed's Red, for about eight bucks a gallon?

azrednek
09-28-2012, 12:52 AM

A few years ago I got several sample bottles from Sportsman's Guide. Think I'm done to, two bottles. Should last from a few to several more years unless I start using it again on cabinet and door hinges.

MtGun44
09-28-2012, 06:53 PM
I use synthetic motor oil. About $5 per quart. Still on my first quart, used maybe 15%
so far.

Bill

azrednek
09-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Back in the mid-70's I was involved in a comparative study of synthetic vs conventional motor oil. The synthetic was the hands down winner in all categories except cost. I had changed employers so I wasn't around when the engines were torn down to compare wear. The trucking company was beyond thrilled with the additional miles between oil changes although the oil filters still had to be replaced at the same rate. The total cost of using synthetic was higher but the savings in down dime for service was significant.

My only question in regards to synthetic vs conventional oil on firearms. Is the ability to prevent rust. I'm assuming because of synthetic's ability to cling despite moving parts and the big factor with engines, heat. As a salesman we set up a demo. The synthetic oil company set up an electric grill that would get red hot. Sorry but I don't recall the temperature. A few drops of conventional oil it bounced around like a drop of water on a hot frying pan and smoked away. The synthetic despite the heat clinged to the metal, the drops spread out and didn't smoke. I've been using synthetic since in everything from my pick-up truck to lawn mowers.

Moondawg
09-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Even better than Ed's Red, as a gun lubricant, is Red Oil. Ed's Red is a great cleaner but not the best lubricant. As I recall, Red Oil contains Dextron III ATF, 5W-30 synthetic motor oil, a dash of Hoppes #9 and a dash of STP oil treatment. Really great stuff, for most any firearm. I use both and am happy with the results.

Shiloh
09-29-2012, 08:48 PM

+1

Shiloh

izzyjoe
09-29-2012, 10:36 PM
I use synthetic motor oil. About $5 per quart. Still on my first quart, used maybe 15%
so far.

Bill
i use Mobile 1 5w20 syn, and mix it 50/50 with marvel mystery oil, cause i love that smell! i love G96 too, but it's pricey. :D

Texantothecore
10-01-2012, 09:14 AM
During WWII troops used truck oil (40 sae?) to clean all of their guns. The guys would line up with their C-Ration cans and get some oil from a 55 gallon drum in the back of the red ball express trucks and it worked just fine. Most of those rifles came back still within mil specs.

As soon as I run out of REm oil I will be going to 40 SAE.

John Boy
10-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Might want to try Marvel's Mystery oil. A cheap quart goes a long ways !
http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/faq/

Plus it has 50 other excellent uses

Char-Gar
10-02-2012, 12:04 PM
For general lubrication of pins and parts that roll around inside of a firearm, I use Mobile Velocite No. 10 Spindle oil. I keep a gallon or two beside the lathe for lubrication. It is just a good light 10 weight oil.

For parts that slide, like slide rails, I use USGI rifle grease, developed in WWII for the Garand and used for most all other autoloading guns in the arsenal. I picked up two 1 lbs cans for $1.50 each some years back. It will last me several lifetimes.

I know some folks like to make a science out of this stuff and make us believe we have to buy high end gun lubricants with special properties, but I ain't buying it. Plenty of good suggestions of a cheap way to go on this thread.

Le Loup Solitaire
10-02-2012, 07:38 PM
I looked up and made a gallon of Slick Stuff. It is extremely slick and works very well on anything that needs to be lubricated. It appears to be around the same viscosity as 3 in 1 oil, and is vastly cheaper. The gallon will last a very long time. LLS

azrednek
10-02-2012, 08:43 PM
For parts that slide, like slide rails, I use USGI rifle grease, developed in WWII for the Garand and used for most all other autoloading guns in the arsenal. .

I'm with you on using grease. I used the same can of US GI grease for apx 10 years and lost it in a house fire. I've been using grease of one kind or another on slide rails and bolts for years. Ask any MG shooters. Most will claim various brands and types but most are in agreement on using grease instead of oil on slide rails, bolts etc. If it wasn't for the mess it can create on hands, clothes, leather or anything it comes into contact with. I would be using graphited grease.

bruce drake
10-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Even better than Ed's Red, as a gun lubricant, is Red Oil. Ed's Red is a great cleaner but not the best lubricant. As I recall, Red Oil contains Dextron III ATF, 5W-30 synthetic motor oil, a dash of Hoppes #9 and a dash of STP oil treatment. Really great stuff, for most any firearm. I use both and am happy with the results.

I use a mix of 16 oz of ATF, 16oz of 10w30 and 8 oz of Hoppes #9. works great for semi-auto rifles and pistols as well for cleaning barrels and bolts.

Bruce

longhorn
10-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Nothing like an oil thread on a gun or motorcycle forum! Lots of high volume AR shooters seem to be using straight Mobil 1; I'm using it on all my guns without problems, but don't claim any particular expertise.

bruce drake
10-02-2012, 09:34 PM

I use a mix of 16 oz of ATF, 16oz of 10w30 and 8 oz of Hoppes #9. works great for semi-auto rifles and pistols as well for cleaning barrels and bolts.

Bruce

ubetcha
10-02-2012, 09:45 PM
I just read an article(it may even had been on the website) that some machinist students did a test using several brands of rust penetrator and they found out was that a 50-50 mixture of ATF and acetone worked the best for breaking rusted bolts and nuts free. Took less force. They tested WD-40,Liquid Wrench,Kroil,and several other brands.

ubetcha
10-02-2012, 09:52 PM
YUP! I did see it here.It was just posted by the Professor titled" penatrating oil"

Moonie
10-03-2012, 11:50 AM
The oil/lube I use is 1/3 synthetic motor oil, 1/3 synthetic ATF and 1/3 STP. It works amazingly well on my AR's, auto pistols and sons semi-auto 30-06 Remington.