PDA

View Full Version : Started casting round balls......

oldracer
09-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Well, until I did a few matches in the past several months, my supply of 50 cal round balls had lasted a long time but they have since dropped way off especially as I now do some practice about once a week. So I went to order some but first called several places in the San Diego area to see if they had a 0.490 sized ones and no luck. The price has jumped up from $20 a box of 100 to $22, if they had them so I tried several on-line places and only ONE had any in stock and although they are $10 to $12 a box of 100 the shipping drives the cost up.

So, I decided to buy a couple of Lee round ball molds as I have had good luck with their others and they came yesterday. Cleaned them up, lubed the sprue plate and set to work casting. In about 1.5 hours I made up nearly 400 total and had to recycle the first ones as usual so I figure I am about equal as to cost. The next time the only cost will be the electricity as I have much lead and those take much less that 500gr 45-70 bullets. The cost of them will only go down over time...........

I did have a neighbor stop and watch and was very interested that people actually shot "those old type guns" now and I told her about the range and the training etc so maybe she'll check it out.

newton
09-27-2012, 03:01 PM
That's the way to do it. Something about casting your own projectiles, no matter what your shooting them out of or what they look like, makes you feel real good inside. And it is amazing that people wonder how they can actually work so well.

Omnivore
09-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Nice one, Racer.

mooman76
09-27-2012, 08:01 PM
You should have told the neighbors how much fun it was and offered to let them give it a try!

masscaster
09-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Wow, i should move out there!!
I could double my price on'm and still be the cheapest!

$100 per 1000 Shipped

Happy Casting!!
Jeff

oldracer
09-28-2012, 02:29 PM
The gun shops here seem to only care about those black rifles and the stuff that you can bolt on them. There is one place that at times has black powder or the stuff needed to shoot either muzzle loaders of the cartridge guns but you have to be really lucky to catch them. Mail order is okay as long as it is something I can't make or do but now CA is taxing internet purchases the use of that is slipping.