PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Mark II Target

looseprojectile
09-27-2012, 02:26 PM
5.5 bull barrel. Virtually new gun.
Shot it with several different brands and bullet weights.
Got around 2" to 2.5" groups at fifty feet. Ho hum!

Tried some of the Sniper SubSonic ammo from Aguila, all went into an inch off the
bench at the same fifty feet. Is the by far most accurate in this gun.
On the box it says for bolt action rifles. Works a treat in this Ruger.

Shot bowling pins with this ammo and all I need to do is increase my speed and I will be a winner. My first time shooting pins with a .22. I found myself waiting for the pin to fall. Pins don't fall as fast with a .22 as they do with a .45. Next time!

Check it out in your gun.

Life is good

Kestrel4k
09-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Interesting, that's good to know - I wouldn't have thought to try the SSS in the Ruger MkII's as that sounds like a pretty improbable matchup with regards to accuracy.

I have this handy so I thought I'd post it FWIW:

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp33/Kestrel4000/RimfireCentral/Ruger%20MkII/RugerMkII10CCI.jpg

The CCI Quiets only have enough 'oomph' to cycle my 5.5" bbl when only 2-3 are in the magazine (i.e. upward forces retarding the bolt motion), but it's another fun experiment to try at least. :)

**oneshot**
09-28-2012, 06:52 AM
Wifes ruger 22/45 loves CCI Standard velocity.

Sasquatch-1
09-28-2012, 08:44 AM
A guy I shoot with shoots standard federal .22's through his MK2 and gets very good results. He can cut a 2x4 in half with less then 100 rds. If you ever tried this you will find it takes some people 50 to 60 rds using 45's.

I just got a MK3 and have not had a chance to shoot a lot through it so I can't realy give you any first hand experience yet.

dragonrider
09-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Bowling pins used for 22 call shooting should be those known as "candlepins". they are usually cut in half and used that way.

crossdraw
09-28-2012, 09:38 AM
In half, huh?

Our club uses the tops for .22 bowling pin match. At least with half, there's more area to shoot!

Either way, fun times..

looseprojectile
09-29-2012, 02:15 AM
where I shoot pins do it the easiest way they can. Place the whole pin on the back edge of the table.
I thought the sixty grain bullet would knock them over better.
I think they do.
My first try at pins with the .22 I shot against one of the best shooters there.
My fifth pin was on its way to the floor as his hit the floor.
I was waiting to see if each pin was going to fall. Takes time. Not the way to shoot pins with a .22.
With a forty five there is no waiting.
I will polish my act and shoot next Wednesday.

Life is good

Larry in MT
09-29-2012, 12:06 PM
I have an old Ruger Standard Pistol (4 3/4") with an UltraDot on it. It also likes CCI Blazer a lot. I shoot 2 1/2" swinging metal targets @ 25 yards. Groups are consistently toward the centers of the swingers. Mine would surely benefit from a better trigger.

Shiloh
09-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Try the CCI standard velocity.
My best Mk II target groups ever were fired with this ammo.

Shiloh