PDA

View Full Version : Ever get the "O really" look?

Freightman
09-27-2012, 09:39 AM
I was at the range and another shooter was attempting to get his AR shooting without jamming, he had just put it together with various parts and was jamming about every other round. Well to the story he was looking at my 03A3 and my M1867 RB, and said it is too expensive to shoot 30/06 and 45/70! I explained I reload everything and cast my own boolits and it isn't that expensive. He looked at me like yea I bet! we went to get our targets and he said how did you get that good of a group (I wasn't impressed with them) with a cast boolit? I said well you have to work at it and fit the bore, he looked at me with a O' really look in his eye and left.
You can not convert everyone so I do not even try anymore, leaves more lead for me.

Trey45
09-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Sounds like the same guy who told me at a gunshop last year that if you shoot lead bullets in a rifle that you WILL lead the barrel, there's no way it can't! One of those situations where it's better to just walk away and leave the guy to wallow in his ignorance rather than try to educate. A closed mind will not receive new information.

10x
09-27-2012, 10:09 AM
The fewer folk that shoot cast bullets here means less competition for wheel weights.
One young guy got the bug and he keeps the tire shops WW buckets empty. Now when I need bullets I will drop off a five cavity mold and he will cast up a 1000 or so and give me 1/3 as "rent".
I made the mistake of telling him where the molds came from and the jerk is now buying his own...
Sometimes kindness does not pay off.

Baja_Traveler
09-27-2012, 10:16 AM
I get the same look every time I'm at the range shooting cast out of my Garand.
I can't count how many times someone has said that I cant do that - that I'll wreck the gun. They dont seem convinced when I tell them the rifle has had thousands of cast rounds through it, with no sign of gas port fouling...

Silvercreek Farmer
09-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Before I learned about casting, I shot mainly 223 and 9mm because they were "cheap". I wasn't interested in reloading because the J word components for these calibers ran 75% or better what factory ammunition cost out the door, and I figured my labor to only be worth about $2 hr on a single stage.

It took me months of hemming, calculating, reading, learning and hawing to place my first order for reloading equipment with the goal of cutting my 30-06 ammo expense by 75% by shooting commercial cast. My loads worked and all was well until I decided to buy a 44 magnum and take the leap to order my pot and first mold. That's when it got serious and it has all been down hill from there!

You should have warned him NEVER to shoot cast, because if he does he will become hopelessly addicted and people will see him wandering from tire shop to tire shop begging lead!

44man
09-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Look at the bright side. First he keeps ammo companies in business, VERY important.
Next he is not getting lead ahead of you at the tire shops. :drinks:

km101
09-27-2012, 04:38 PM
The fewer folk that shoot cast bullets here means less competition for wheel weights.
One young guy got the bug and he keeps the tire shops WW buckets empty. Now when I need bullets I will drop off a five cavity mold and he will cast up a 1000 or so and give me 1/3 as "rent".
I made the mistake of telling him where the molds came from and the jerk is now buying his own...
Sometimes kindness does not pay off.

Just another proof of the old saying: "No good deed goes unpunished:"

I have had several people tell me that I CANNOT shoot cast bullets without leading the barrel. And I have even had a powder company tell me not to shoot cast out of a .40 S&W, as it is dangerous!

It's all a matter of education, but some folks wont accept information or education. It's easier and less stressful to let them remain ignorant.

gwpercle
09-27-2012, 04:40 PM
I remember a long , long time ago I thought I could save money by reloading for that 03-A3 Springfield. One set of dies , a press , mould , pot and sizer started my descent into the addiction of casting and loading...If I have saved any money it all gets spent on more reloading stuff . I gonna die poor...but happy, just another wheel weight junkie.

You know you got it bad when upon meeting people you inquire about thier profession just in hopes they have , or work for , a tire shop. I do this and didn't even realize it !

gary

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
09-27-2012, 05:03 PM
I occasionally offer free ammo to some friends if are out shooting and they run out because, as is true for all of us, since I make my own, I always have a lot. Most of them politely refuse and the reasoning I've found, and can't get my friends to change they're mind about, is that leading occurs gradually, the more lead you shoot, the faster your barrel will lead. I can't seem to get anyone (except my dad) to understand that the lead doesn't necessarily cause leading, and if leading is going to occur, it will usually occur fairly quickly, and when it does, it can be cleaned out.

Jammer Six
09-27-2012, 05:11 PM
In the mid eighties, I was buying a computer. I had been studying my Mac computers, and I wanted a IISi. I really wanted a IISi.

I got to the store, and as it happened, the store was closing the next week, and they were selling everything. Including the next model up for $100 less than the Si.

While I was waiting for my new computer to come out, I watched a guy tell the salesman that the Si was actually better than the next model up.

I stopped the salesman and asked him how he could live with that. He shrugged and said "when they argue with me, I let them buy the II Si."

runfiverun
09-27-2012, 11:25 PM
i usually just reply that i would rather clean the soft malleable lead out of my bbl rather than scrub or use harsh chemicals to attempt to remove the copper.
then i pull the bolt out and look in the bbl and mutter "still nothin... it's been 500 rounds and i still don't need to clean this thing".
" hey...see if YOU can see any lead in here, my eyes ain't so good no more".

JeffinNZ
09-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Pretty much why I don't freely engage with other folk at the range other than those I know rather well. It's just too much like hard work.

wallenba
09-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Yep, I've met him. I frequently run into his other relatives too.

.22-10-45
09-28-2012, 12:57 AM
I was shooting my .22 Hornet...with cast bullets on the 100yd. line. Fellow few benches over also shooting Hornet..with jacketed..wondered how come my groups were smaller than his?
He didn't know I was shooting cast..I told him I handload for what my particular rifle likes..he very haughtly replied...I only load to SAAMI specs..I just nodded.

**oneshot**
09-28-2012, 05:51 AM
Usually if I start talking about seating off the lands by .001 and maybe I'll move it up to kiss the lands, Thats when the hairy eyeball looks start.
Every once in a while I get a person that really wants to listen and learn.

captaint
09-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Like Freightman said - more lead for us... And I'm fine with it. Hey, somebody has to keep the J word mfg's in business. enjoy Mike

chboats
09-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Some years ago I was shooting an NRA bulls eye, 3 gun, 2700 match. Most of us used the 45 for both the center fire pistol and the 45 pistol matches. One of the regular shooters, an expert class shooter, who only shot factory match, forgot most of his 45 ammo. I gave him enough to shoot all of the timed and rapid fire matches with my cast boolit reloads. He grumbled and moaned about shooting cast, but didn't turn down the gift. At 25 yards the point of impact was the same, and he shot the best score that he had ever shot. But still grumbled about the inferior quality of cast boolits. I never let him forget about the best score he ever shot.

Carl

rockrat
09-28-2012, 12:47 PM
.22-10-45

Should have told him that it is obvious that his rifle is not up to SAAMI specs and needs to go to an expensive gunsmith. You had yours worked on, but the guy is no longer in business.

Let him stew over that

x101airborne
09-28-2012, 01:57 PM
.22-10-45

Should have told him that it is obvious that his rifle is not up to SAAMI specs and needs to go to an expensive gunsmith. You had yours worked on, but the guy is no longer in business.

Let him stew over that

Hehehe. That's funny.

1Shirt
09-28-2012, 02:00 PM
I am happy to have so many doubting Thomas types shooting today. More lead for me to cast!
1Shirt!

PS Paul
09-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Funny how facts and proof can stare some of these folks right in the face, and STILL they just don't get it.

My old model 70 in .458 win mag usually got used with cast boolits. I cannot tell you how many times I was told I could not do that cuz of lead, and if I did, no accuracy. Yet 3-shot 100 yard groups of about 1.5" with PEEP SIGHTS were the norm and not the exception with cast boolits. Still did not matter: they weren't accepting the facts as they unfolded. Hilarious.

FISH4BUGS
09-28-2012, 05:38 PM
First, people are shocked that "civilians" can own machine guns and supressors. Once they get over that, they are stunned that I shoot cast lead bullets in all the submachine guns.
"....Doesn't it get too hot?....Doesn't the lead melt in the barrel?".....and the like.
Pretty funny actually.

looseprojectile
09-29-2012, 02:28 PM
in my neck of the woods.
I had him ream my old flattop .357 chamber throats.
Yes I lost a little sleep wondering if I had made a mistake. If he screws up my cylinder it is all over for that gun.

Turns out he did a great job.

I told him I wanted the throats .358" so I could shoot .360" boolits. He asked where I got bullets that big. Huh! Evidently there was no cast boolit seminar at the school he attended.

Nowadays new guys don't have time or patience to muck with all the details to make lead boolits work.

New guys need to be educated.
He shoots pins when he can remember it is Wednesday. He shoots factory hardball in a 45 auto. Gots to be expensive. I will give him some of my loads to try.
I will call him on Wednesday afternoon to give him a heads up.

Funny how my opinion of a man is formed by the work he does. I am begining to like him. :drinks:

Life is good