PDA

View Full Version : "The Lady" ‘s got her stamp.

Hubertus
09-27-2012, 08:05 AM
I am just back from the proof house!
For those who have seen the thread about bringing my Smoothbore home from the U.S. The name DIRT_Farmer used to describe is a good one so she is going to be called “The Lady” from now on.

Over here in Germany every gun has to be proofed or you can’t shoot it at a public range and even shooting it in private is not allowed and one can get fined for it. So – finally I got an appointment with the proof house.

I installed the touch hole liner – which still needs some fitting with the lock but for proofing they take the barrel out anyway.
Today was the day – the visual check seemed to please the gentleman so one down one to go. Then he asked me whether I want to shoot only shot or RB as well. I said both.

That ment he was going to proof the barrel with 210 grains of 1F plus 1 1/8 oz of shot – 2 shots. They use a rubber lined vise with pressure valves to clamp it in place and a little fixture that holds musket caps and has a remote controlled firing pin. They orient the musket cap infront of the touch hole and then when in the safe room remotely trigger the gun.

Well long story short she passed the test and has gotten her stamps.

I am a happy man – now the load development and the hunting can begin, after the final fitting of the liner and lock. PLus a miner beauty job - he managed to peen one edge of the octagonal part when stamping her :???:

Hubertus

Boerrancher
09-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Well I am glad to hear that she is good to go. I was never concerned as those guns are well built. Get your finishing touches done to her and get her in the woods.

Best wishes,

Joe

10 ga
09-27-2012, 09:32 PM
Nice, hope she puts some victuals on the table. Some people don't know how good it is here in USA, for the time being anyway. Don't you guys know about ZIP guns. Wonder how'd they would proof out, LOL! 10 ga

x

DIRT Farmer
09-28-2012, 01:18 AM
Glad to hear you got things squared away Michial, now for some serious shooting.