PDA

View Full Version : Sturm Ruger and Company - Customer Service EXTRAORDINAIRE

Land Owner
09-27-2012, 05:14 AM
This past Monday, 9/24, I received a call from Ruger Customer Service (CS) informing me that my SP101, stainless steel, 38/357 Magnum handgun was damaged beyond repair (more on that below) and would be destroyed. The "consideration" for me was a new serial numbered, fresh off the assembly line (in two weeks), replacement SP101 38/357 Magnum, AT NO COST TO ME!!!

When I didn't immediately respond (I was shell-shocked and temporarily dumbfounded) she asked if anyone would consider free to not be a good deal? When I shook it off, I agreed, free is a PHENOMINAL DEAL for me considering the circumstances.

Below is the full story. You be the Judge. My remarks are my own. Your results probably won't vary...

1.) Is that "some kind" of notable [implied] warranty offered by Sturm Ruger and Company? YES!
2.) Does Sturm Ruger and Company "Go the Distance"? YES!!
3.) Does Sturm Ruger and Company foster Brand Loyalty? YOU BET THEY DO!!!
4.) You can't beat FREE REPLACEMENT...

Sturm Ruger and Company makes excellent guns, accurate guns, good looking guns, affordable guns, and I am a HAPPY CAMPER willing to TELL ALL about the WARRANTY and CUSTOMER SERVICE DEAL that I got...particularly after I acknowledged making detrimental mistakes and anticipating the replacement gun to cost not less than $317.49 as quoted by CS.

Sturm, Ruger & Company
Customer Service
411 Sunapee Street
New Port, NH 03773

September 5, 2012

RMA #: XXXXXX

RE: Model: SP101 stainless
Serial #: XXX-XXXXX
Caliber: 38 Special/357 Magnum

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The sad truth and short story is, I broke it and it needs to be repaired or replaced. The long story follows, which is a tale of judgment error on my part for not securing the handgun in the first place.

While bush hogging for the preparation of wildlife food plots in South Carolina, I “secured” my backpack containing the referenced handgun on the rear of the tractor seat. I can only guess that vibration and gravity caused the backpack to slide sufficiently low on the seat back that the rotating connection between the tractor and the bush hog tore the backpack from its “secured” position and commenced spinning the contents at 550 rpms.

The handgun was ripped from the front zipper pouch when the rotating centrifugal force caused the backpack to impact the 3-point hitch supporting arm. The handgun was either thrown forward of the tractor immediately or into the ground to be subsequently impacted by the rotating blade of the bush hog.

There isn’t much physical or visual damage on the outside of the gun to suggest that the rotating bush hog blade dissected the handgun from its Houge grip, which is also returned as a matter of interest. The grip was possibly the one significant protector of the handgun as it was ripped from the handle and thrown in a direction that was 90 degrees from the direction of the exiting gun.

Of interest is the:
1.) “ding” in the gun to the rear of the cylinder, which is in line between the trigger and hammer where a right handed forefinger rests;
2.) “ding” in the exterior of one cylinder;
3.) lesser “dings” on the right side of the barrel;
4.) inability to close the cylinder without manually depressing the front latch (KW03100);
5.) inability of the cylinder to remain locked in battery as the rear alignment pin has been sheared off (KW02700);
6.) inability to depress the Crane Latch (KW00900); and
7.) inability to cycle the hammer either manually or via the trigger.
[Note: Part Numbers are from the User’s Manual; KW/9-02 C; R12]

If this serial numbered handgun is either ***** or more expensive to repair than a refurbished replacement, I am interested in a refurbished replacement SST SP101 in 38 Special/357 Magnum caliber. Please advise.

Some lessons are learned late, but learned well. No more tractor work with a loose handgun.

Regretfully,

Richard E. Young
[address redacted]

btroj
09-27-2012, 07:02 AM
That is exceptional service.

captaint
09-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Well, you can't beat that. Very kind of the folks at Sturm Ruger. Needless to say, they did not have to be replacing your pistol free of charge. Excellent customer relations. I have had some good experiences with Ruger also. Nice people. enjoy Mike

Mk42gunner
09-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Man, I hope you took pictures of your screw-up. I still have most of a plastic GI canteen that I ran over brushhogging, never did find the screw on cap.

Robert

Reloader06
09-27-2012, 05:15 PM
I've heard of this a couple times. This is the extra mile that made American businesses the standard of the world. But that was in a bygone era. Nice to see it exists still.

Matt

fecmech
09-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Some years back I sent them a Red Label Sporting Clays shotgun for overhaul as I was planning on getting it engraved. It had broken ejectors and I asked for a quote to fix them and replace any worn parts or springs as the gun had over 50K rds through it and I had bought it used. After a couple weeks without hearing anything I called to check on it and was told it had been shipped back the day before "no charge". They are an excellent company in my opinion.

I'll Make Mine
09-27-2012, 07:59 PM
There aren't many companies (American or otherwise) left that have this level of service. Makes it clearer why Rugers cost more, in some cases, than some competing brands -- and why Ruger owners seem fanatical about hanging onto their pieces.

kelbro
09-28-2012, 12:19 AM
I have a bunch of Rugers and have only requested customer service once (base pin spring) and they were great to deal with.

smoked turkey
09-28-2012, 01:29 AM
Great story of a great company who "gets it" and in fact more often than not goes beyond what would be reasonably expected in order to provide excellent customer service. My story also had a happy ending earlier this summer when my M77 35 Whelen got a new fitted bolt at no charge.

Adam10mm
09-28-2012, 02:02 AM
Ruger service as far as backing their products is in line with Dillon. Their timeliness isn't so good, but recently it seems they've been addressing this issue.

x101airborne
09-28-2012, 06:11 AM
A couple weeks ago, I called to purchase a cylinder base pin latch and spring for my short barreled blackhawk 357. I informed the rep of what I needed and at the end I said I was ready with my credit card. She politely said "No charge" and thanked me for my time. Three days later, all the parts were in my hands. Excellent customer service indeed!