PDA

View Full Version : Greek surplus 30-06

Johnch
05-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Anyone tryed it ?
From what I told / read , it is suposed to be non corosive and boxer primed
Some freinds want to get a bunch , they ask if I wanted in .

They were also talking about linked French 30-06 ammo
I know nothing about it

Not sure , if I need it .
But I figure it can set in the safe till needed
I have a A303 and a Grand I could feed it to in a pinch

But I figure it will dry up sooner or later , so if I want it .
I had better get it , if it is decent

John

Fireball 57
05-26-2007, 10:32 PM
It might be that CMP stuff they have floatin' to the Faithful Partisans. Usually 30 caliber, loaded after about '54 should be non corrosive. I would be more concerned powder cutting the base of the case or case splitting due to brittle hardness. Good luck and have a great weekend!

Uncle Grinch
05-26-2007, 11:11 PM
I have had excellent results with the two cases of Greek ammo I bought from the CMP. Mine was all HJXP-74 and was very accurate in my '03A3 and my son's Garand. My Garand shot it just fine, but my 03A3 loved it (almost as much as my 311299 boolits!!)

You may want to review some of the comments at the CMP Ammunition forum...

http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=22

I think you will like it. Sure fire and clean!! Our club is making a bulk purchase next month on some.

26Charlie
05-29-2007, 02:42 AM
It is boxer primed for starters. The Greeks had a war with the communists after the Germans were defeated in WWII & kicked out. They had a lot of British SMLE's left over from Britain's attempted defense of Greece in WWII and we shipped them a bunch of Garands about 1948 to support their fight against the communists. They began producing ammo for .303 and .30-06. What I have shot of both calibers is good stuff, within military accuracy parameters for accuracy (minute-of-helmet at 200 meters at least) and no misfires or hangfires.

garandsrus
05-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Johnch,

The Greek CMP ammo is great stuff... Since you are in NW Ohio, you shouldn't be more than an hour or so from Camp Perry. You can go there and pick it up. You will need to pay sales tax but can avoid the shipping charge.

Here's the CMP web site: www.odcmp.com, then click on eStore to see the various ammo and prices. The Greek is listed under "Ammo Commercial" instead of surplus for some reason.

John

jonk
05-29-2007, 09:23 AM
It's good stuff. It is what they issue to guys shooting the Springfield and Garand matches at the national shoots. I don't like it quite as much as Lake City US surplus, but it is still very good ammo, boxer primed and non corrosive.

twotoescharlie
05-29-2007, 10:09 AM
mine seemed like it was extra loud and had a heck of a muzzleblast. (flamethrower)

TTC

jonk
05-29-2007, 11:28 AM
Oh and btw, the french stuff- I had a LOT crack at the HEAD when firing- the Enfiled 1917 handled the rupture fine, but after 2 or 3 like that I called it quits. It is apparently a known problem.