PDA

View Full Version : Shiney new guy here . .

LoB
09-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Howdy! Been reloading for years in the Military Calibers . . 30 ought, 308, 223, and 45 ACP . . for the Garands, 1903s/1917s, M14s, 1911s . . . . . . and the Squirrel Gun :| . .

Have recently been searching for a new challenge and have acquired two Jeff Cooper inspired Scout Rifles; the Ruger Gunsite and the Savage Scout. A friend does cast boolits for his SKS with great results . . I want to see what I can do with the Scouts and cast boolits . . .

Can anyone guide me to forum discussions regarding loading for the 308 bolt gun??

Thanks!!

Peace, Out \ /

Pb2au
09-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Hello and welcome!
Start hitting the stickies and do some searches. There is an ocean of knowledge here, just look and ye shall find!

RU shooter
09-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Theres some discussions on them in the factory rifle section further down the main page

DCM
09-26-2012, 08:35 PM
There is a sticky about loading cast for the 308 M1A/M14 also.

Alchemist
09-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Welcome...they more the merrier!

Also check out the military rifle section, plenty of information there as well.

If you want to "try before you buy" go to the boolit exchange toward the bottom of the main page, under the "swapping & selling" section. You'll probably be able to get some samples of just about any boolit you can name to try out. Be patient though, sometimes it takes some time to have the right guy come along to see your post.

If you go to the group buy section you better have good self discipline or a fat wallet. :evil:

LoB
09-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Thanks everyone for the great replies . . I discovered the search function :-\ and found some GREAT 308 discussions . . . been reading for two hours!! . . .So much to learn and absorb!!

BTW . . nice place you got here!!

Peace, Out \ /

JeffinNZ
09-26-2012, 11:41 PM
Re the "squirrel gun", do you shoot squirrels with the gun or from the gun? ;-) Cos the latter would be dang funny.

Bad Water Bill
09-26-2012, 11:53 PM
Welcome

Pick out a comfortable chair pour yourself a cup of coffee in your best NON SPILLABLE mug and enjoy yourself.

2 hours just isn't enough time to look at 1/10 of the items for sale there.

Take your time and review ALL of the different topics and find which one you want to start with.

So much to learn but we have the best professors on your topics right here.

x101airborne
09-27-2012, 08:51 AM
May I suggest to a new guy, wich I still am in a way..... Get a spiral notebook to make notes in. At first I was over whelmed with the information I was trying to absorb. Fillers, loads, seating depths, and so many other little things that make a BIG difference that we dont even notice with J-bullets. I started making notes as I read and then re-read it, and re-read it at the bench while I was loading. Then as I found things that worked or didnt work, I could scribble notes as I go. Then when I found a load that worked well I re-wrote the entire process and that made it repeatable EVERY time. It sure turned out well in the end because my process was detailed and accurate.

smoked turkey
09-27-2012, 09:30 AM
+1 on writing it down so you can later go back to it for more info. I sometimes copy it and print it as a Word document so I can study it a little more. Some great information here. Welcome aboard.

WILCO
09-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Hello and welcome!
Start hitting the stickies and do some searches. There is an ocean of knowledge here, just look and ye shall find!

Ditto for me. [smilie=p:

Mal Paso
09-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Re the "squirrel gun", do you shoot squirrels with the gun or from the gun? ;-) Cos the latter would be dang funny.

You can shoot squirrels out of a potato gun. Trick is to hit em with a shot of Ether when you charge the gun so they don't crawl out the barrel before you can pull the trigger.

Mal Paso
09-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Just kidding. We don't shoot Squirrels in California we Elect Them.

Welcome aboard LoB!

**oneshot**
09-28-2012, 06:14 AM
Welcome!! Where is CNY?

captaint
09-28-2012, 07:40 AM
LoB - Welcome !! Do yourself a favor and begin doing a lot of reading - a lot. You should enjoy it all. Lots of info. Oh, one other thing - start making more deposits in your checking account. You're gonna need it. enjoy Mike

hiram1
09-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Glad to have ya.have fun .there is a lot of good guys here to help or be helped.

bruce drake
09-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Don't mind Jeff in NZ. He's still jealous that they have no squirrels there. He needs to start teaching all those rabbits and wallabies of his to start climbing trees and he'll get over his "Tree Rat" fascination... ;)

Jeff, you are a good sport and I'm going to have to figure out how to get to squirrels out to you somehow.

BruceB has done an awesome sticky on loading 308s with cast boolits. I'd follow that advice for your Scout rifles!

Bruce

PS Paul
09-29-2012, 08:46 PM
I can see the headlines now: Deadly invasive squireels threaten native wildlife and the delicate balance of the ecosystem in New Zealand.