PDA

View Full Version : Midway vs. Grafs

Tazman1602
09-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Hey all,

This is NOT a slam on either company, simply a factual comparison on an order I just made.

I am a long time user of Lee's "nutcracker" hand press -- not to say I use it exclusively but it's nice to have one of these to deprime and size a bucket of cases while I watch TV with wifey.

Brother in law has recently gotten interested in reloading so I gave him my 30 year old Lee Hand press kit and went shopping for a new one --- I actually bought two of the new breech lock presses along with some extra bushings and an RCBS universal hand primer as you don't have to go through the shell holder changes.

I have shopped at Midway since shipping was free and you had to call them to place an order so I ALWAYS give them a fair crack at my business, they've done right by me numerous times.

With the economy the way it is I'm pinching pennies like everyone else so I checked the identical order with Grafs whom I've started to shop with more and more over the last three years or so.

Midway total price: $142.42
Grafs total price: $114 even

BOTH TOTALS HAVE SHIPPING INCLUDED!

Man that's almost $30 difference!!! Of course, I went with Grafs because of price, I just find it odd that Midway cannot compete with them.

Just wanted the newbies to know it always pays to shop around and Grafs has been a standup place for me, it just saddens me that a place that I've done business with since the 70's is not more competitive.

Art

Springfield
09-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Since when is shipping free at Midway?

ShooterAZ
09-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Once in a while Midway will offer free shipping on selected items, but on the vast majority of stuff they charge freight... and handling...and insurance. Their freight rates are outrageous.

Roundnoser
09-26-2012, 01:22 PM
I too have heard complaints about Midway's shipping charges. -- Do your numbers account for shipping?

Tazman1602
09-26-2012, 01:29 PM

............it WAS 30 years ago Springfield. That's why I USED to buy all my stuff from them. Even LEAD was free shipping but it's been a long time now which is what I was eluding to.............<grin>

Art

Tazman1602
09-26-2012, 01:30 PM
I too have heard complaints about Midway's shipping charges. -- Do your numbers account for shipping?

Yessir! Midway's shipping/handling/etc was almost $20 of that..................doesn't matter. Bottom line is bottom line...........

Art

Green Frog
09-26-2012, 02:22 PM
"Back in the day..." I always gave Midway the bulk of my mail-order business (no on-line orders then.) Then they announced that they were doing away with their free shipping in order to make things "fair" to their customers. In the same catalog, they showed the owner of the company taking a safari in Africa. Coincidence? I don't know, but the total cost of obtaining the same articles went up noticeably.

About the same time, I discovered that Graf had obtained a supply of 32/40 brass made up special by Winchester. They charged a nominal shipping price ("fair") and had stuff I couldn't get anywhere else, as well as being competitive on the stuff they carried that others had as well. I then went almost 100% to Graf and was always happy with their prices and service.

Now their prices, with shipping accounted, seem to be somewhat closer, and with the spottiness of supply for certain key items, I check both when I get ready to order (just like the OP) and go with whoever has the most items of what I want and can get them to me at the best price. No real axe to grind for or against either, just smart shopping, IMHO. ;)

Froggie

DHurtig
09-26-2012, 02:29 PM
I just bought a new RCBS Lubamatic II from Grafs. Had the best price of all the places I checked, had free shipping and I got the package in 3 days. I will always check with them on anything now. Dale

dauntlessdave
09-26-2012, 02:32 PM

Guess I live under a rock. Never ever seen free shipping from Midway.

UNIQUEDOT
09-26-2012, 02:33 PM
it WAS 30 years ago Springfield.

Wasn't that long ago. I know everything midway was still free shipping in the mid 90's as i was still buying from them almost exclusively. Midway's shipping charges are the exact rate now so it depends on what zone you are in.

Tazman1602
09-26-2012, 02:33 PM

............could be you just ain't old enough to remember Dave.....

Art

dauntlessdave
09-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Must be true Art!

Poygan
09-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Agree with Froggie's first paragraph. Used to buy exclusively from Midway and haven't bought from them since they stopped the free shipping. They didn't seem to be competitive anymore.

Hardcast416taylor
09-26-2012, 03:41 PM
The last thing I bought from Midway was a Timney trigger for my Moison Nagant rifle that was on special sale. It came in a box that measured 6" H. X 4" W. X 10" L.! I`m sure everybody knows how big the blister pack for a Timney trigger is. I called and complained for the excessive shipping cost for the big box. I was simply told that my complaint would be sent up the ladder of command, needless to say I`ve not heard anything back from them.Robert

joec
09-26-2012, 03:45 PM
I mostly use Lee products and when I don't I go to Brownells today. I find if order are under $50 the shipping is a lot less at Brownells with no handling charges. As for Lee I use FS Reloading for reasonable shipping, fast delivery and lower prices than most.

r1kk1
09-26-2012, 04:04 PM
I crunch numbers between a few companies to see who has the best deal. I remember free shipping from midway but I catch sales from most I do business with.

Graf's and mid south shooter supply lately.

Take care

r1kk1

dragon813gt
09-26-2012, 04:28 PM
You're already on the Internet. It makes no sense to NOT shop around. Don't forget that it may make more sense to buy from one place that is slightly more money if they have everything in stock. Backordered items shipping can get out of hand if they ship one at a time.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

shooter93
09-26-2012, 06:18 PM
I buy from Midway at times but Graf's is always my first choice. Even when they are slightly higer than other places I still use them. I've dealt with them for decades and they are simply a class act. we deal with them on the phone often and they are super nice people there. Not knocking Midway....but grafs gets a nod every time.

Love Life
09-26-2012, 07:05 PM
I use both depending on who has a sale or who has what in stock. I dig around for free shipping or money off promo codes for whoever I buy from. MidwayUSA has done me right, and Grafs has done me right.

They both still get my hard earned fiat currency.

Dframe
09-26-2012, 07:47 PM
I use midway only as a last resort nowadays. Their shipping and handling charges are too high and they refuse to ship some items to my state.

gandydancer
09-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Wideners for my stuff or graf's.

1Shirt
09-26-2012, 08:15 PM
More and more I am ordering from GRAF!
1Shirt!

30calflash
09-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Haven't purchased from Midway in years. Started charging seperately on B/O items on the shipping. Cost $10 for an AR charging handle! Called and talked to a rep and they were to credit me once for the 'mix up'. Never got the credit, never bought there anything since.

Shipping has increased a lot over the last several years, but it seems like some outfits try to make their mark up on the shipping end.

oldred
09-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Haven't purchased from Midway in years. Started charging seperately on B/O items on the shipping. Cost $10 for an AR charging handle! Called and talked to a rep and they were to credit me once for the 'mix up'. Never got the credit, never bought there anything since.

Shipping has increased a lot over the last several years, but it seems like some outfits try to make their mark up on the shipping end.

Careful, LOL, some guys here tend to get mad about anyone complaining about Midway's back-order policy. I complained about this very thing a while back, not only the back-order policy but the ridiculous numbers of out-of-stock back-ordered items at any given time, and a couple of fellows seemed to take offense to it. Never mind that everything I said was fact, one order would have (I canceled it) cost me about $45 on a $219 order after it all came in and was shipped separately plus the fact that not one time in almost 6 years was I able to place a complete order without something being out-of-stock- not once! My biggest gripe that time was that I had delayed placing an order due to items I needed being back-ordered so I decided to wait a few days rather than pay double shipping fees, guess what? A few days later when the main item I was waiting on became available another one had become back-ordered! I just gave up and quit messing with them.

M-Tecs
09-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Before I order I price compare Midsouth, Midway, Natchez, Powder Valley, Grafs, Powder Inc, Weidners and a general online search. The straight up prices for Midway are normally higher but when you use the various online coupons they are hard to beat. As stated earlier the back order shipping sucks so don’t BO any items or you will take it in the shorts on shipping

crossdraw
09-28-2012, 01:57 PM
I mostly use Lee products and when I don't I go to Brownells today. I find if order are under $50 the shipping is a lot less at Brownells with no handling charges. As for Lee I use FS Reloading for reasonable shipping, fast delivery and lower prices than most.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, it's one day late. I just placed an order with a company out of Indiana. I've been using them for a few years. Priced a few things yesterday (prices looked good), so I place an phone order. Asked for an amount and it was about $15 higher than my estimate (got the prices from their site). I told her there was a difference and she said she'd fix them. No problem.

She fixed them alright - they upped the prices on the website and did not change the prices on my order. That's a crock! They just lost my business. I won't even say their name because I don't want to give them any chance of getting more business from me or by word of mouth.

By the way, I just place an order with Midway last week and had free shipping. It happens, not too often but it happens. Most times, the shipping is outrageous from Midway.

Crossdraw

dragon813gt
09-28-2012, 06:36 PM
One thing that really bothers me about Midway is that sale items don't count towards the coupons. So even though you are spending $300 and should qualify for some sort of discount. If you have a $5 part in your cart that's on sale you didn't meet the dollar amount needed. That really bothers me for discounted shipping coupons. But I do order from them on occasion so I'm not bashing them.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

45fan
09-28-2012, 07:32 PM
I recently was looking for a Lee sizing die. Checked the usually companies I have delt with at one point in time or another, Midway, Mid South, Natchez, Cheaper than dirt, Grafs. Then some how dont know what made me do it but checked the big box stores you know the Cabela's, Bass pro shops, Gander Mountian just to see if they even deal in casting/ reloading stuff. Found what I was looking for at Gander mountain for maybe a dollar more that what Midway was asking but no ridiculous fee of some sort and free shipping. So from now on I also check the big box stores as well. Maybe because of so much volume they can ship free or at least cheaper.

1hole
09-28-2012, 08:03 PM
"I always gave Midway the bulk of my mail-order business (no on-line orders then.) Then they announced that they were doing away with their free shipping in order to make things "fair" to their customers."

Ref. the 'pay as you play' shipping, Midway had a valid point; "free shipping" isn't free so the cost of shipping had to be added to the cost of products. A LOT of people were making small orders sporatically, lots of 'free' shipping cost Midway a lot of money which Mr. Potterfield felt could be better spent on his plant and personnel. IF more people had placed fewer but larger orders they could have afforded to continue but ... that wasn't going to happen so he changed it.

Like any businessman, Mr. Potterfield's personal income is derived from a very small addition to hundreds of thousands of items (probably millions) his company sells each year; if he took no profit at all it would hardly change the total cost of an order but it would kill his business, why bust his butt to make it work if he got nothing? (That's true of virtually ANY high volume businesses, including mean ol' 'big oil' and their gasoline, but few of us seen to grasp that truth so lying politicians get to pull us around by promising to "help us" at the fat cat's expense.)

RobsTV
09-28-2012, 08:30 PM
The C&R discount at Grafs is very good as well. With the discount, usually 20% cheaper than Midway with their measly C&R discount.

For example, all the Lee 2 cavity molds cost $15.89 each at Grafs.

Service from both has always been great.

Neither compares to the Lifetime any reason warranty service Brownells has though, and their C&R pricing can sometimes end up being another 10% cheaper than the rest.

Of course, everyone has a C&R, right? (the common $30 for 3 year C&R FFL license).

MT Gianni
09-28-2012, 09:03 PM
I had my first Graf's order in 1992. I have not used them exclusively but use them as a primary if they have it in stock.

Ozark Howler
09-29-2012, 04:02 PM
I've pretty much stopped using Midway due higher cost of getting what I need to my door, I feel this higher cost is due to more inventory, expanded payroll, and more needed real estate on their end. Midway used to be a great place to fill reloading needs, but today they seemed to have lost track of their place in the market and now remind me somewhat of Walmart with selling everything under the sun. I now look at other reloading suppliers and also shop the local gun shows, much better deals are out there...I'm also a little tired of Larry P. presenting himself as the great white hunter and all around expert in the shooting industry.

I watched his Youtube video on easy barrel removal and laughed...after spending about $500.00 bucks on the proper tools you can remove your barrel easily too...Hell for $500.00 bucks, I'll just buy a new gun......oh well, just ranting again.

09-29-2012, 04:29 PM
The C&R discount at Grafs is very good as well. With the discount, usually 20% cheaper than Midway with their measly C&R discount.

For example, all the Lee 2 cavity molds cost $15.89 each at Grafs.

Service from both has always been great.

Neither compares to the Lifetime any reason warranty service Brownells has though, and their C&R pricing can sometimes end up being another 10% cheaper than the rest.

Of course, everyone has a C&R, right? (the common $30 for 3 year C&R FFL license).

To get Graf's C&R pricing, you need to purchase a minimum of $100, or incur a $5 penalty. A 3% surcharge is added if you use a credit card. And the free shipping does not apply.

Midway's C&R minimum order is only $40 and they don't penalize a credit card user.

My budget rarely allows $100 minimum purchases, and since I don't know of another firearms company that adds a credit card surcharge, I won't be insulted by having to pay it.

Just saying.

trying2learn
09-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Not to sound like a idiot but what is the c &r discount everyone refers to. And how would I go about getting one?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

plainsman456
09-29-2012, 04:43 PM
If you place an order with midway,they charge a small order fee,4.00 i think.
Even with a dealers rate they just charge it if the order is under 50.00.

They have a deal with ups and the post office to bring those cheap rates to you.(sarcasm here)

I used to buy all my needs from them before the internet came into being.Now there other places that give a better deal on so much stuff,i only buy from them when i can not get it anywhere else.

Roosters
09-29-2012, 07:01 PM
From 35 posts I only saw Midsouth mentioned one time. They usually have decent prices. I just picked a common item, a Hornady Lock -N -Load single stage press to compare . Here is what I found.

Graf $135.99 (on sale $129.99) in stock

Midway $137.99 in stock

Midsouth $125.31 in stock

None of these prices included shipping but a $12.68 spread in up front price. Midsouth might be another place you would want to look.

RobsTV
09-29-2012, 07:12 PM
From 35 posts I only saw Midsouth mentioned one time. The usually have decent prices. I just picked a common item, a Hornady Lock -N -Load single stage press to compare . Here is what I found.

Graf $135.99 (on sale $129.99) in stock

Midway $137.99 in stock

Midsouth $125.31 in stock

None of these prices included shipping but a $12.68 spread in up front price. Midsouth might be another place you would want to look.

Grafs C&R discount almost pays for the $30 3 year license on just this one purchase.

HRN PRESS LOCK-N-LOAD CLASSIC w/o PRIMER FEED
Item Number: HRN085001 · Price: $106.99 · Availability: In stock
Quantity: 1
Insurance Fee: $0.35
Subtotal: $107.34
(+shipping)

RobsTV
09-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Not to sound like a idiot but what is the c &r discount everyone refers to. And how would I go about getting one?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

see my signature

eniku40
09-29-2012, 07:37 PM
While Grafs is my 'go to', I have recently purchased several items from midsouth and they I have some pretty good prices on Hornady stuff.
Gander Mountain is the cheapest if all you wants a set of lee deluxe pistol dies. ($40 shipped).

I do think most of these companies are making money on shipping. They charge the retail UPS/FedEx rate, ship based on their discounted rate and pocket the difference.

I have abandoned several Midway orders due to the shipping charge. It's easy to end up with $10-15 shipping on a $50 order, and that just seems to be excessive.

Gee_Wizz01
09-29-2012, 07:59 PM
I shop Midway, Midsouth, Grafs, Weidners, Natchez, and Powder Valley. I always comparison shop on the total order, and I end up using Midway about 50% of the time and Grafs or Midsouth 20% each. For powder or primers I normally use Powder Valley and sometimes Weidners. While I do get irked at some of Midway's shipping prices, a lot times they will be cheaper on a total order. All of the above online businesses are much cheaper than anything local. I try to shop from all of these places just to help keep them in business.

G

Kilroy08
09-29-2012, 11:41 PM
Graf's is it for me, unless they don't have it. Dealer pricing is nice, I'm not in a hurry so I'm fine with sending in a money order to avoid the 3% credit card penalty.

Being about the third or fourth person to say it, get your C&R FFL. It takes about a month and pays for its self the first time you use it.

mooman76
09-30-2012, 12:04 AM
I go with either one. Have had no problems with them so it depends on who has what I need to order. I just got a order from Midway.

Green Frog
09-30-2012, 10:25 PM
"I always gave Midway the bulk of my mail-order business (no on-line orders then.) Then they announced that they were doing away with their free shipping in order to make things "fair" to their customers."

Ref. the 'pay as you play' shipping, Midway had a valid point; "free shipping" isn't free so the cost of shipping had to be added to the cost of products. A LOT of people were making small orders sporatically, lots of 'free' shipping cost Midway a lot of money which Mr. Potterfield felt could be better spent on his plant and personnel. IF more people had placed fewer but larger orders they could have afforded to continue but ... that wasn't going to happen so he changed it.

Like any businessman, Mr. Potterfield's personal income is derived from a very small addition to hundreds of thousands of items (probably millions) his company sells each year; if he took no profit at all it would hardly change the total cost of an order but it would kill his business, why bust his butt to make it work if he got nothing? (That's true of virtually ANY high volume businesses, including mean ol' 'big oil' and their gasoline, but few of us seen to grasp that truth so lying politicians get to pull us around by promising to "help us" at the fat cat's expense.)

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the implication was that the "old" prices included shipping spread to everyone, unevenly so, thus the change. Again, by implication or even small promise, the basic price was to come down slightly on everything, then the actual cost of shipping and handling would be added to each sale. While admittedly I didn't do an item-by-item comparison, the ones I checked stayed about the same from "old price" to "new price" and then not-insignificant shipping was added... it appeared that there was an effective price increase across the board amounting to the new "fair" shipping and handling. At my age, I've seen a lot of lying politicians as well as a lot of business practices that could make some politicians blush. You are free to draw your own conclusions, but I have drawn mine. I still deal with Midway as well as other places, they have some unique items and occasionally some great prices, they just no longer have the inside track they once did. JMHO, YMMV! :-P

Green Frog

Froggie

jonas302
09-30-2012, 10:37 PM
I am thankful to this website and Grafs sponsorship that I found them never heard of them before maybe I should e mail them and tell them that

Otherwise I will use either on that has the product for the right price including shipping
last time I did a comparison Grafs got the order midway contacted me to ask why I didn't proceed with the order I very nicely explained that with shipping in and some product price differences Grafs was 50 dollars less for the exact same order I though maybe get a coupon or something nope just a sorry

One other thing about midway is they will not ship powder and primer together and they charge yet another high shipping fee on top of the hazmat not even close to competitive on those products

max range
10-01-2012, 12:42 AM
A good half of my reloading gear came from Midway. Back when they had a small newspaper type ad & free shipping. But like most everyone else, I play the field and go with the lowest bottom line. Several days ago I needed some items. $150+shipping from Midway, about $125 to my door from Graf's.

I keep things in my Gift List at Midway for when they have a coupon sale. One thing that is helpful I find that Midway's Gift List will default to the sale price. For example if I put a Redding T-7 press on the list, then it goes on sale, the discounted price will be in red.

Everything on my list eventually goes on sale for a modest discount. So I still buy from Midway but not everything.

Part of the problem for me, is that *things* are changing. Even marketing strategies. For many years a retailer would try to dominate the market with deep discounts relying on volume. But now volume means nothing to most retailers. They want profit no matter where it comes from. Even if they soak their loyal customers. They no longer have to worry *that* much about price competitiveness.

Case in point, I have some farmland and I drive jeeps offroad. So I have a "Hi-Lift" jack which some call a "handyman jack". Actually I have 3 of them. One need new climbing pins and an overhaul kit so I went to Hi-lift's website. Guess what? They no longer take orders for small parts. They have a link to their E-bay (flea-bay) store where they list about 75% of their part singly.
So I needed a kit and 3 additional small parts so I would have 4 payponzi transactions and 4 shipping fees. No provision to order from them online. Too big to care? Is it worth losing customers to make one time, extra, easy profit? Apparently so.

Times are changing and retailed consumer goods are marketed in an entirely different way than before. So I not only go for price point but I also factor in service. < That means something to me too.

StaTiK
10-01-2012, 02:10 AM
I'm pretty satisfied with Grafs, but the C&R discount that everyone raves about isn't as fantastic as it seems IMO. I recently placed a $300+ order and the C&R discount was pretty good... but once you added shipping charges to it I was back to within $30. HOWEVER, none of the bonuses they were offering at the time applied so I didn't get the free shirt or the free rifle scope that I would have received without the discount.

I called and told them that I would like to NOT use my discount, but was told that wasn't an option.

I will also say that Midway has a fantastic website, and the reviews appear unfiltered.

-StaTiK-

cajun shooter
10-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Midway is by no means hurting because of lack of sells and I can assure you that Mr Potterfield and his family don't have to shop prices before they buy anything. The shipping charges have gotten out of hand when you pay $12 for a item that weighs less than a pound. The only way I shop at Midway is that I need a lot of items that are not available elsewhere. I did write a letter to them about the inflated charges and received a form letter back.
On the other hand, Grafs is a much better company to purchase from as they care about each of the customers that shop there. How do I know this?
About three years ago I placed a order with Grafs for some Black Powder and after hanging up the phone I called back to add another can of 3F to the order and was told it was too late. I voiced my discontent and advised the person to forward it to the top.
My order of 10 pounds never arrived and I called back to inform them and to vent some anger.
Later that day, my wife advised me that I had a phone call from Graf's. I answered and it was Mike Graf himself who is a vice president of the company.
He asked me about my order and also about my wanting to add another pound just 10 minutes later and was turned down.
He advised that he was going to send my order on a overnight flight and also include the extra powder for free. He stated that this would be done at no cost to me!!
The very next day Fed-X was at my door with the order just like Mike had promised. He even called me back to make sure i had received it and to see if I was sastified with the service.
I was very much taken back by his hands on customer service and have been a grafs customer since.
All Midway ever did was to send out a form letter to any complaint.
One more thing, about 10-12 days after the first order was placed, here comes the Fed-X truck with it. I called Grafs and told Mike it had shown up finally but with no explanation as to where it may have been.
He told me to keep it and enjoy my shooting. Now you tell me if that is a company that does not go out of it's way to take care of it's customers and also takes great interest in seeing that they remain good customers. Later David a Grafs Customer all the Way!!

texassako
10-01-2012, 10:59 AM
I only buy from Midway when I can put together enough to offset the high shipping or specials like their blemished bullets, but they are fast. I also order from Grafs, but some items I have ordered looked like very old, dirty, and dusty stock with the worst being some Hornady 7.35 Carcano bullets looking like they were dredge up out of some lake and put in a random bag they found on the shore. I moved on to Buffalo Arms since I am looking for obscure stuff lately, but they misshipped an item and would not send a call tag, told me to pay the shipping back if I wanted the correct item even though the invoice showed their mistake. I guess resonable freight charges, clean stock, and good customer service are tough to provide so places just shoot for 2 out of 3 these days.

hornady
10-01-2012, 11:26 AM
The majority of my orders now go to Mid-south. I have used most all of the ones mentioned. I also did some with Gander Mountain back when they were still in the mail order business. I have found Mid-south has the best all around price. I do still order from Mid-way but only if everyone else is out of stock. I have been reading and have seen for myself the higher prices Mid-way now charge. They do need to get their price back in line with their competitors

9.3X62AL
10-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Graf's has gotten most of my business this year, largely due to fill-rate--but shipping seals the deal. MidwayUSA's shipping rates are OBSCENE. Their ad support for Cast Boolits is another plus.

1hole
10-01-2012, 01:09 PM
" the (prices) I checked stayed about the same from "old price" to "new price" and then not-insignificant shipping was added... At my age, I've seen a lot of lying politicians as well as a lot of business practices that could make some politicians blush. You are free to draw your own conclusions, but I have drawn mine. "

You pull a little more from my post than I said but you're right, the prices were held about constant. What you're missing is that Potterfield then built a huge warehouse, vastly increased his inventory and installed an efficent but costly computerised order handling system for fast order processing. He also increased the compensation package for his employees, something a lot of us applaud in concept but get angry when we have to pay the added costs to let it happen; that seems strange if you think about it!

Me, I don't much care what prices are now, at myage I've had my needed reloading and shooting 'kit' pretty much assembled for the last 20+ years!

Mohavedog
10-01-2012, 04:53 PM
I still buy from Midway, but as a last resort. They have lost most of my business for the past 2 or 3 yrs for several of the reasons others have posted. But the end came for me when I ordered a gunsmithing file set of which they offered two. One set had two more files and cost 4or5 $ more. I ordered and was charged for the better set, but they sent the cheaper one. I complained but the option was for me to send the set back on my dime.
So I kept the set and lost 4 or 5 bucks, Midway has lost a couple thou in my orders since. So every time I see Mr. P's grin, which to me has become insincere, I think of that deal.

dickttx
10-01-2012, 05:18 PM
When I started guns and reloading in the latter 60"s Badger Shooters Supply and Brownells were about the only places I was familiar with. You would get your catalog out, full out an order blank, look at their tables to get shipping, write a check (you had to be approved for checks, otherwise money orders only) and put it in the mail. It usually got there within a week. Then a few days to pull the order and pack it. Then a week or so for the order to get back to you. Three weeks was about standard.
A couple of years ago when I got back into guns and reloading I found that I could go online and within a few minutes compare prices, all the way through shipping, at a half dozen different places, select the lowest total that had everything in stock, and have it at my front door in three or four days, paid by credit card. Not too shabby. As the car dealers say, "I ain't married to none of them". But I have generally had good service from all.

PB234
10-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Isn't Graf the folks who brought new .455 Webley brass to the market with Hornady and doing so with 6.5x54 MS ammo? Getting this brass and ammo is a reason to support them so they continue to go the extra mile to supply things many of us want.

UNIQUEDOT
10-01-2012, 06:13 PM
The shipping charges have gotten out of hand when you pay $12 for a item that weighs less than a pound.

Then why choose that option? if it weighs less than 13 oz. midway will ship it first class at exact cost. If it weighs more than that midway will ship it priority mail for exact cost. When i want a small gun part etc. i often get the best price from midway by choosing first class mail. If you choose ground shipping on small items it's not midway ripping you off on shipping you are choosing to pay an outrageous price.

EDG
10-01-2012, 06:21 PM
I used to work for a large multinational corporation. They had a sole source supplier contract with Federal Express.
I think they paid about 1/2 the normal rate with their discount. Midway may show a price on the order but I suspect their real cost is only about half that.
We reload to save money among other motives. I do not understand why a supplier of reloading paraphernalia is not sensitive to pricing. I generally go with Graf's when I can. I tend to buy only sale or clearance merchandise from Midway.
I buy mostly hard to find bullets and brass at Graf's since they usually have the best deal. I also bought a Lee furnace there. Most die and press related tools are bought used on Ebay.

UNIQUEDOT
10-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Midway may show a price on the order but I suspect their real cost is only about half that.

Do you think packing materials and boxes are free? it doesn't matter if they are getting a discount as you are paying the exact rate it would cost you to ship or receive something from that location to your location to or from another individual. And it's packed in a sturdy box with appropriate packaging protection. I usually order from Grafs myself, but as mentioned earlier it depends on what zone you are in when you select or are required to select ground shipping from midway.

Ickisrulz
10-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Case in point, I have some farmland and I drive jeeps offroad. So I have a "Hi-Lift" jack which some call a "handyman jack". Actually I have 3 of them. One need new climbing pins and an overhaul kit so I went to Hi-lift's website. Guess what? They no longer take orders for small parts. They have a link to their E-bay (flea-bay) store where they list about 75% of their part singly.
So I needed a kit and 3 additional small parts so I would have 4 payponzi transactions and 4 shipping fees. No provision to order from them online. Too big to care? Is it worth losing customers to make one time, extra, easy profit? Apparently so.

The Hi-Lift website has a 1-800 phone number listed to order parts. The price of the parts are listed as is their shipping fees. Shipping prices are based on amount of your order. You don't have to deal with ebay if you choose not too.

http://www.hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/parts-services.html

MusicMan
10-03-2012, 12:44 AM
I see a lot of complaining on here about shipping prices, but you don't have anything to complain about unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii! If you read the fine print on most of the free shipping sites(not just gun related) you will see it says "except Alaska and Hawaii". I have had vendors flat refuse to ship to Alaska with no reason given. You would be surprised what can't be shipped on a airplane now-days. Our only bright spot is if you can get the seller to put it in a flatrate box with USPS.:sad:

Just checked Graf's and their free shipping says "excluding AK & HI orders".

Ickisrulz
10-03-2012, 09:49 AM
I see a lot of complaining on here about shipping prices, but you don't have anything to complain about unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii! If you read the fine print on most of the free shipping sites(not just gun related) you will see it says "except Alaska and Hawaii". I have had vendors flat refuse to ship to Alaska with no reason given. You would be surprised what can't be shipped on a airplane now-days. Our only bright spot is if you can get the seller to put it in a flatrate box with USPS.:sad:

Just checked Graf's and their free shipping says "excluding AK & HI orders".

Yes, but we don't get an annual PFD in the lower 48 either.

MusicMan
10-03-2012, 03:24 PM
With the high cost of living in Alaska the PFD doesn't mean anything to a working person. It's like giving a kid a quarter. Now if you're homeless and down on your luck and on welfare and have 10 kids, it makes a huge difference.

Love Life
10-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Just another Grafs VS MidwayUSA story. I am in the market for a new single stage press, and I have my eye on the Redding Big Boss II.

Midwayusa has it on sale for $165.00
Grafs has it, but not on sale for $175.00

Shipped total to my door from MidwayUSA= $194.00
Shipped total to my door from Grafs=$181 and change

So with the ridiculous shipping at Midway the onsale press shipped costs more than the regular priced press at Grafs shipped.

I still use Midway for items other dealers don't have though.

Ickisrulz
10-03-2012, 03:32 PM
With the high cost of living in Alaska the PFD doesn't mean anything to a working person. It's like giving a kid a quarter. Now if you're homeless and down on your luck and on welfare and have 10 kids, it makes a huge difference.

I lived in Anchorage for three years (about 10 years ago). I found prices on things up there not too bad when you considered no sales tax (savings of about 7-8% compared to what we pay down here). The cost was high on housing, eating out and fresh food for sure. My wife and I never took the PFD since we were never going to live there once we moved. But, for an average sized family I would imagine the PFD helps with many of the high costs.

I ordered lots of things through the mail while I was there. I liked the fast shipping since most things came air. Sure it cost more, but I was getting more money while I was there and I'm thinking that many people working in Alaska make more than their counterparts living in the lower 48. Most of the people I knew living up there made enough money to afford lots of fancy toys...they couldn't be hurting too bad. Is that your boat in your avatar.

So, anyway, I don't feel too bad shipping costs more to Alaska.

sig2009
10-03-2012, 03:33 PM
I won't buy anything again from Midway. And I don't care how much money they donate to the shooting sports. Their shipping rates were and still are outrageous!

r1kk1
10-03-2012, 05:16 PM
When we are in the area I stop at midway to pick up my order and save shipping. They have a will call part of the warehouse. I price shop them all. Lowest price wins. I don't care about how they run it or surmise why they charge this or that. Lowest price including shipping wins my order.

Take care

r1kk1

buck1
10-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Midway used to be my goto place Now Grafs and midsouth get first crack. Midway seems to have out grown my business with their pennies off sales and real higher prices and high shipping prices.
With the buying power midway has they should have been the cheepest , but not even close.
They dont seem to even try to keep costs down.

pistolman44
10-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Grafs for me also. can't beat their shippng charge.

AZ Pete
10-05-2012, 05:08 PM

If I recall correctly, they quit the "shipping costs included" in the early 1990's, that's about the time that I started shopping around and comparing Midsouth, Graf & Sons, Natchez and others to see who was most competitive.

steelworker
10-05-2012, 06:53 PM
I have used Midway once or twice, but always seem to go back to Natchez and Midsouth. But after reading about Grafs, I will certainly give them some business.

FUBAR 6
10-08-2012, 08:34 PM
I use Sinclair, or Grafs...Sinclair/Brownells give a military discount on a lot of items.

I have purchased from Midway and asked them more than once about offering the same type of discount as Brownells, and the said they can't offer a discount and keep customer cost down...

So I sent Midway an email with several comparison items, same vendor items, that Midway was higher on even prior to the discount from Brownells--never a peep back.

jakharath
10-09-2012, 10:37 AM
I tend to use Midway or Brownells for gun parts
Reloading stuff is either Grafs, Widners and Midway

Whichever is cheaper and has what I want in stock.

Ickisrulz
10-09-2012, 01:17 PM
So I sent Midway an email with several comparison items, same vendor items, that Midway was higher on even prior to the discount from Brownells--never a peep back.

I'd bet they know this already.

I order from whoever I can get the best deal from "out the door." Lots of times this is MidwayUSA.

I'm amazed at how often these "MidwayUSA is too expensive" OR "MidwayUSA charges too much for shipping" threads come up. Yet, they have the best selection and seem to be doing very well.

rda72927
10-09-2012, 07:55 PM
+1 to Ickisrulz; I've had the same thought. Just recieved 2 EGW 7 hole chamber checkers (45acp and 40 s&w). They were at my door (with a holiday in the way) in 5 business days for 5.00 shipping.

alamogunr
10-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Just another 2¢ worth. I usually buy from Grafs with my C&R. I got approval to pay by check and it is very convenient. Their prices on powder and primers are competitive with Powder Valley and like them, they will combine shipping.

I also just registered my C&R with Midway because I wanted to order some of their glass fiber cleaning rods. I really like those rods.

I live less than 100 miles from Mid-South but in the same state(TN) and have to pay sales tax, which is 9.75%. I order occasionally just to keep in touch and don't suffer too much.

o6Patient
12-28-2012, 12:18 PM
I too bought bulk brass from midway back when, they were the place to get it. Now they always
loose comparison with the higher shipping prices. ..But dang sometimes they have just what you need in stock
when nobody else does.

NRA Life Member

alamogunr
12-28-2012, 12:52 PM
I too bought bulk brass from midway back when, they were the place to get it. Now they always
loose comparison with the higher shipping prices. ..But dang sometimes they have just what you need in stock
when nobody else does.

NRA Life Member

A few years ago(Sept, 2008), Midway had a special on bulk brass. One of the items was .375 Win. I needed some so I zeroed in on their price. I bought 1000 pcs because the price was so ridiculously low. I just looked up the order on their site and I paid $256.33. If memory serves, that was barely above the price for 500. After I ordered, they changed the price to almost twice what I paid. I didn't need all that brass so I sold half to a member here for cost +shipping.

In checking my past orders to get the above information, I found that, over the years, I have ordered quite a bit from Midway but very little in the last 2 or 3 years.

HighHook
12-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Holy ****! I just looked at what i have spent on shipping charges with Midway in the last 5 years. Small retirement fund gone! I will start looking elsewhere.

dickttx
12-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Doesn't really matter what the price is or the shipping is, or the hazmat fee is. All that matters is the total cost. Buy from the cheapest that has everything in stock.
Midway does have several options for shipping. The only one that does, that I know of.
Don't mind slower shipping for a lower price.

Patrick L
12-29-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm in agreement with most here. I don't hate Midway, but I do find there prices higher and their shipping charges even worse. I typically go to Midsouth first, then Graf's or Natchez. Midway is farther down on the list. And I have dealt with Midway since the 80s, in fact I am customer number 001 in my zip code. I remember the free shipping days, and while it was nice, its really not realistic in this day and age. However, they seem to be charging excessively, and that's just not the way to get my business.

shdwlkr
12-29-2012, 11:12 AM
When I am buying from the internet I look at Midsouth, Natchezz, Midwayusa, Grafs and any other place that pops up and whoever has the best total cost gets my business. I am not loyal to anyone anymore they all have something that makes any given purchase either a good deal or a bad deal.

o6Patient
12-31-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm in agreement with most here. I don't hate Midway, but I do find there prices higher and their shipping charges even worse. I typically go to Midsouth first, then Graf's or Natchez. Midway is farther down on the list. And I have dealt with Midway since the 80s, in fact I am customer number 001 in my zip code. I remember the free shipping days, and while it was nice, its really not realistic in this day and age. However, they seem to be charging excessively, and that's just not the way to get my business.

I've had good luck with Midsouth as of late also.

Green Frog
12-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Well, my latest experience with Midway is this... I needed some AR parts (like everyone else) and they had the DPMS clamshell pack LRPK-1 with these parts. Their price was about $7 less than MSRP and they had them in stock. Even with the PSH price added, I had them in a week (now, during the holidays.) at a couple of bux less than MSRP, so I'm satisfied. Bottom line, look at who is offering what, and at what price to your door, and go with the best deal. It's called competition. Loyalty is a two way street, and since companies are competing for my loyalty, I'll go with whoever is rewarding it! JMHO, YMMV. :D

Froggie

o6Patient
12-31-2012, 05:40 PM
Lowest price door to door without run around: hear hear Froggie
(Optic Planet has very good prices on reloading equipment but.. its back ordered
it is this.. it is that.. etc.. etc... etc...and talk to their customer service if you want to
be dumbfounded.. OMG. But as I said you can sometimes buy reloading equipment
from them cheaper than the same thing used on eBay. :killingpc