PDA

View Full Version : yesterday i couldent spell shooter today I am one

bobthenailer
09-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Went to the gun club yesterday to shoot our weekley pistol steel plate match , 22lr @ 50 ' shooting at groups of various sizes of reactive steel plates.
A regular shooter brought along a friend , he used the regular shooters pistol with a red dot sight , i told him to take his time and accuracy was more important than speed . i cant belive he missed so many times , severly jerking the trigger , i tried to coach him throught the match and he did improve some .
After the match he said that he just bought a ruger 41 mag and wanted to hunt deer with it , he doesent have any other handguns , doesent reload , he said he would use factory ammo to learn to shoot , I recommend he get a 22lr handgun and learn to shoot it as he needs alot of pratice , I told him if you cant hit with a 22lr handgun you certianly wont hit with a 41 mag useing full power factory ammo . This guy couldent hit targets as large as 8x6 every time at 50' with a 22 with a red dot sight and he's going hunting ?????????????
I know we all started somewhere ,I just hope he takes my advice ! but he probley wont !

Matthew 25
09-26-2012, 11:24 AM
That's why they make rifles.

ReloaderFred
09-26-2012, 11:51 AM
You gave him good advice, and hopefully he'll take it. Not watching the front sight, and jerking the trigger are two of the most common problems encountered when teaching new shooters. Right after that is anticipating the shot (flinching) and squeezing the whole hand instead of just pressing the trigger straight back. Someone squeezing the whole hand will pull their shots low and left for a right hander, and low and right for a left hander.

Hope this helps.

Fred

stubshaft
09-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Can we say FLINCH?

44man
09-26-2012, 12:10 PM
How about truth? Can't shoot a handgun how can you shoot a rifle?
Samo, samo, Hold, trigger control and so on. A rifle can not make a poor shooter better.

km101
09-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Geargnsher says it best....."You cant fix stupid, but sometimes you can head it off before it hurts something." You tried. You pointed him in the right direction....if he chooses not to go there, it's his loss! He will probably buy a .41, not be able to shoot it, and then blame the gun!

Aunegl
09-27-2012, 02:44 PM
You can lead humans to knowledge but you can't make them think.

375RUGER
09-27-2012, 03:24 PM
If he does hit a deer I wonder what kind of clothes he is going to field dress it in?[smilie=l:

MT Chambers
09-27-2012, 05:45 PM
I think your shooting may work out okay with practice, you might want to work on the spelling.

44man
09-28-2012, 04:11 PM
If he does hit a deer I wonder what kind of clothes he is going to field dress it in?[smilie=l:
Now that is funny as all get out! :D
Maybe a tux!