PDA

View Full Version : So long Lee and hello new press

Love Life
09-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Well sort of.

My Lee classic cast is old. My uncle had it for years until he gave it to me. I have run it hard for the last 10 years. It finally has enough slop that it is time for a new single stage press. I have noticed over the last several months that you can watch the ram align itself as the shell goes into the die. The limitation is with the "M" Die. Due to the slop it crushes the case mouth on the face of the expander.

No big deal, I just need a new single stage press.

This thread was not created to bash Lee. I am very happy with the years of use I got from my press, but now that it is time for a new one I want to upgrade.

I am considering the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme, Redding big Boss, or Redding Big boss II. I'm sure they will all do what I want/need.

At the end of my long winded post I just wanted to say thank you to Lee for getting me started reloading on that press and the fact that it must have been close to 30 years old by the time it finally needed to be replaced.

Junior1942
09-26-2012, 10:48 AM
I suggest an ACTUAL Lee Classic Cast press.

DukeInFlorida
09-26-2012, 10:50 AM
I have the original RCBS "JR" press I bought new back in the early 70's. Still tight, no slop.

Cast iron is always better than aluminum.

Char-Gar
09-26-2012, 10:52 AM
I don't know one Lee single stage press from another, but a good press should last at least two lifetimes no matter how hard it is worked. Just saying.....

Love Life
09-26-2012, 10:54 AM
I suggest an ACTUAL Lee Classic Cast press.

You are right. I thought it was a classic cast, but it doesn't look like anything lee has in production now. Hmmmm.

Oh well. The point is it lasted a long time. Now to go look at an actual classic cast. Thanks Junior!

Casting_40S&W
09-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Buy an American Made press, like a Lee, Redding or Lyman....RCBS is Chinese made

Char-Gar
09-26-2012, 01:46 PM
It is a red herring that RCBS is Chinese made. This comes from a magazine article/cover a few years back saying that the castings were from China. RCBS has stated over and over again, they have never used Chinese castings and never will. RCBS stuff is made in America. The RCBS/China myth just won't seem to die.

Casting_40S&W
09-26-2012, 01:56 PM
The box it comes in says Made In China. No myth here

UNIQUEDOT
09-26-2012, 02:39 PM
The RCBS/China myth just won't seem to die.

It isn't a myth...the myth is the internet rumors that RCBS claimed they were never cast in China.

The box it comes in says Made In China. No myth here

Yep and the castings from the RC supreme are not the only things that have made in China on them from RCBS. Seems like they are turning to China for production of many of their tools now.

Love Life
09-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Interesting on the RCBS issue.

After thinking about it all I just ordered what I needed to load 223 on my Dillon 550B.

I already semi progressively load my 8X57 and 357 mag with my dillon, so why not add another caliber.

The lee will still hang around for other uses.

joec
09-26-2012, 03:50 PM
I actually bought the Lee Classic Press to use with RCBS Cowboy shotshell dies which are 1 1/4 by 12 and it works great for that. I also picked up the Hornady Sure-Loc Die Locking Ring 7/8"-14 Thread which gives be the quick release for the 7/8" dies also.

Char-Gar
09-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Well, If I am wrong, then I am wrong..my bad!

Mk42gunner
09-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Since it doesn't sound like you need a heavy press with compound linkage for case forming duties; my favorite handloading press is an old blue Pacific Super C.

The thing I really like about a C frame press is that there is plenty of room to reach in and do what ever you neeed to do to the case with either hand. Heavy case forming is easier with the Rockchucker; but for plain loading, the Super C works just fine.

Mine was a gift, but I have seen numerous examples at gunshows for around $25.00.

Just my opinion,

Robert

1hole
09-28-2012, 08:36 PM
"My Lee classic cast is old. My uncle had it for years until he gave it to me. I have run it hard for the last 10 years."

Seems anyone should be well satisfied with that length of service from any press but you don't have a Classic Cast, they aren't that old.

"I have noticed over the last several months that you can watch the ram align itself as the shell goes into the die."

Lot's of people think a tight press is 'best' but that's not true, as you observe a round case will self align perfectly if the fit allows it to do so. I know at least some competitive BR shooters lathe turn their rams a tad specifically to induce some quick 'wear' that will allow that to take place.

"The limitation is with the "M" Die. Due to the slop it crushes the case mouth on the face of the expander."

That just might be too much slack but I wonder if you might not fail to properly position the cases in your shell holder? ;)

"No big deal, I just need a new single stage press."

IF you want a new press by all means, get one! But, if Lee's (real) Classic Cast had been available when I bought my green Rock Chucker my main press would be red. The CC is the better press in every way; paying more for another press to get less makes no sense to me!

flashhole
09-28-2012, 09:52 PM
... my favorite handloading press is an old blue Pacific Super C.

The thing I really like about a C frame press is that there is plenty of room to reach in and do what ever you neeed to do to the case with either hand. Heavy case forming is easier with the Rockchucker; but for plain loading, the Super C works just fine. Robert

I have 4 presses on my bench. A Lee Classic Cast single stage, a Lee Classic Turret and two Redding Ultramags. All are excellent presses. The C-frame Ultramag is a real nice press for all the reasons you stated.

A pause for the COZ
09-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Interesting about RCBS. I had ordered a few new items from them in the last year. Warrantee was good.Build Quality was not.
Hmmm interesting
If your paying twice the price for a Rock Chucker made in china compared to a USA made LEE classic cast.
What are you paying for?
Oh I like my LEE
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8268.jpg

Love Life
09-29-2012, 08:56 AM
I must apologize to Lee Precision. Other members are correct in the press was NOT a Classic Cast. It looks like an old challenger.

The purpose of this thread was not to bash Lee, but to state how happy I was. After more research I believe I will still get an ACTUAL Lee Classic Cast.

I apologize for any confusion. I'm sure this thread is already being quoted internet wide as another reason Lee makes garbage, and that buying their products will cause the world to end.

flashhole
09-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Good choice, you will not be disappointed.

C.F.Plinker
09-29-2012, 10:18 AM
You got my curiosity up so looked at my most recent RCBS purchases. The Universal Hand Priming Tool was made in China and the 505 Scale (manufactured by Ohaus) was made in Mexico.

And I am well pleased by the quality and rigidity of my Classic Cast Press.

BillP
09-29-2012, 11:33 AM
[I].................. The CC is the better press in every way; paying more for another press to get less makes no sense to me!

Maybe this will make since to you. I like to prime on the press and don't like plastic. If Lee's press was only $15 I still wouldn't buy it. It isn't a bash on Lee, just a difference in personal preferences.

bp

PS Paul
09-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Still lovin' my LEE classic cast after 25 years of HARD use.

Hey, pause for the coz, isn't that handle set up there the wrong way- for a leftie? LOL!!!

onegunred
09-29-2012, 11:48 AM
I have 2 RCBS Jrs but I just purchased a LEE CLASSIC CAST. I am useing the LEE for deprimeing and sizing only because of its primer disposal system. I took it one step farther and removed the drift pin that holds the primer arm and closed up the slot with a piece of 1/4"x1/4"x 1 1/4" key way material and some JB Quickweld. Works great and the LEE is as smooth as butter.

jcwit
09-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Maybe RCBS can partner up with Smart Reloader and get a company in Italy to manage all their marketing.

This world is just nuts.

35remington
09-29-2012, 01:13 PM
BillP, there's no plastic on the Lee Classic Cast and if they were fifteen dollars I'd have five of them. I'd give them to every friend I had as the most cost effective gift ever made.

Given that the are more costly than fifteen dollars but far lower in price than the RCBS press I find one to be quite sufficient as it will be hard to wear out. Probably the best value in a sturdy press available at this time.

Since the RCBS will not underprice the Lee, has been outsourced to overseas slave labor, and cannot claim any advantages I value I wouldn't buy the RCBS if it was fifteen dollars......fat chance of that happening anyway!

No bash against RCBS. Just personal preference talking.

MT Chambers
09-29-2012, 01:17 PM
I stick with my Forster Co-ax and could not be happier.

UNIQUEDOT
09-29-2012, 02:01 PM
BillP, there's no plastic on the Lee Classic Cast

He was referring to the plasti prime :mrgreen: on the CC.

1hole
09-29-2012, 03:44 PM
"Maybe this will make since to you. I like to prime on the press and don't like plastic. If Lee's press was only $15 I still wouldn't buy it. It isn't a bash on Lee, just a difference in personal preferences."

You're welcome to prefer anything you wish, with my blessings, and it doesn't have to make sense to me; I'm not trying to get you to buy a "Lee"! My RC has a plastic knob AND it tosses about 30% of spent primers on the floor. I do greatly prefer the CC's clean system of dropping fired caps and the grit though the ram and into a tube so the ram and frame stays clean, just a difference in personal preferences. (I reprime with a 22 year old cheap metal handheld primer tool but it does have a plastic tray magazine so ...? :) )

Del-Ray
09-29-2012, 03:53 PM
I bought my LEE Classic Cast to load 50bmg on. Still going strong after about 5 years of HANGING off the handle for the initial resize.

I buy once fired brass that's been used in M2 machine guns, and those chambers must be the loosest ever made! I can fire full power reloads in my rifle, and the case slide in like butter with some imperial sizing wax.

As far as I'm concerned the LEE press is just as good as my RCBS Rock Chucker. Just still made in America.

BillP
09-29-2012, 08:45 PM
"Maybe this will make since to you. I like to prime on the press and don't like plastic. If Lee's press was only $15 I still wouldn't buy it. It isn't a bash on Lee, just a difference in personal preferences."

You're welcome to prefer anything you wish, with my blessings, and it doesn't have to make sense to me; I'm not trying to get you to buy a "Lee"! My RC has a plastic knob AND it tosses about 30% of spent primers on the floor. I do greatly prefer the CC's clean system of dropping fired caps and the grit though the ram and into a tube so the ram and frame stays clean, just a difference in personal preferences. (I reprime with a 22 year old cheap metal handheld primer tool but it does have a plastic tray magazine so ...? :) )

Well you stated something like it is a fact the Lee does more for less...but it actually does less for me.

I just don't like the Lee Safety prime system OR the plastic that comes with it. A solid press with rinky accessories doesn't work for me. My RC (sold it a long time ago) only tossed primers when I was in a hurry. I stuffed wads of aluminun foil in the gap between frame and catcher to stop it from tossing the few that did flip out. Regardless, I'm not anal about a couple of spent primers that make it to my shop floor either. Have fun with whatever.

bp

A pause for the COZ
09-29-2012, 10:23 PM

Hey, pause for the coz, isn't that handle set up there the wrong way- for a leftie? LOL!!!

For me its the right way.:) I sit between the turret and the CC. Its just natural to work on it from the left side.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8376.jpg

geargnasher
09-29-2012, 10:47 PM
I must apologize to Lee Precision. Other members are correct in the press was NOT a Classic Cast. It looks like an old challenger.

The purpose of this thread was not to bash Lee, but to state how happy I was. After more research I believe I will still get an ACTUAL Lee Classic Cast.

I apologize for any confusion. I'm sure this thread is already being quoted internet wide as another reason Lee makes garbage, and that buying their products will cause the world to end.

I believe Lee still makes the Challenger press, but it may only be available in a "Breech Lock" version. Call Lee up, describe what you have, and ask them to honor their lifetime warranty on it, which is repair to original condition or replace for 1/2 current purchase price if I remember correctly. The catch may be that they go by their highly-inflated MSRP as listed in their own catalog, and you'd have to account for shipping.

The Classic Cast has that humongous hollow ram with the world's best ever primer collection system on it, though.......

Gear

A pause for the COZ
09-30-2012, 07:54 AM
I believe Lee still makes the Challenger press, but it may only be available in a "Breech Lock" version. Call Lee up, describe what you have, and ask them to honor their lifetime warranty on it, which is repair to original condition or replace for 1/2 current purchase price if I remember correctly. The catch may be that they go by their highly-inflated MSRP as listed in their own catalog, and you'd have to account for shipping.

The Classic Cast has that humongous hollow ram with the world's best ever primer collection system on it, though.......

Gear

Yea I wouldn't send one back. Their 1/2 price is off their suggested retail price. It is at least 30% higher than you can buy one for new.
Once you figure in the shipping cost. Your paying for a new one and not getting it.

hunter64
09-30-2012, 08:38 AM
I bought a RCBS Jr. press in 1974 and it did all of my reloading chores till about 5 years ago when I really started to get into shooting and bought a Dillon 550.

I use the Jr. press for depriming and one off loading duties and last week I noticed that at the top of the stroke the ram had a slight slop in it. It wasn't much but still annoyed me.

I sent an email to RCBS and simply asked if there was a bushing that I could use to tighten it up or should I even worry about it. I also asked if they had any of the older Rock Chuckers as I would like to purchase one. I like the priming system on the older press's as it is what I am used to and my hands have enough problems with them without having to hand prime also.

Here is the email response I got back from them on Thursday.

"I am sending a replacement press under warranty - no charge. Have a great day!"

It will be a while before I get it because I live in Northern Canada but it will be interesting to see what the replacement is.

Can't complain about that.

r1kk1
09-30-2012, 08:44 AM

The CC is not that old. Can someone state who knows when the CC came out?

r1kk1

UNIQUEDOT
09-30-2012, 02:56 PM
The CC is not that old. Can someone state who knows when the CC came out?

r1kk1

I bought mine when they first came out, but can't remember when it was. It cost me $49 from midway and it has a flat red powder coat on it. The later presses have a darker shiny red coat on them. I want to say that it was ten or twelve years ago, but it could have been longer than that. I could probably go dig out my old catalogs and find out for sure though, but lord only knows where I've stashed them.

flashhole
09-30-2012, 03:13 PM
I seem to remember them being on the market in the 1998-1999 time frame but the best price I can remember was $54. When I bought mine the price had jumped to $62. It's still a great bargain at twice that price.

UBER7MM
09-30-2012, 04:33 PM
My neighbor has the Lee Classic Cast Press that he bought last year. Its a nice tool. The only fault I see with it is that it has a tubular handle arm. He bent it slightly on a stuck case. A truck's lug wrench could fix that problem in a minute.

Don't get a flat.....

flashhole
09-30-2012, 04:48 PM
The handle actually comes with a slight bend from the factory. The bend is especially useful on the Classic Turret as it moves the ball handle just enough to one side so as not to interfere with the turret. The same handle is used on the Classic Cast single stage and the Classic Turret.

UNIQUEDOT
09-30-2012, 10:35 PM
The handle actually comes with a slight bend from the factory. The bend is especially useful on the Classic Turret as it moves the ball handle just enough to one side so as not to interfere with the turret. The same handle is used on the Classic Cast single stage and the Classic Turret.

When did they add the bent handle to the single stage? my classic cast has a straight handle and My turret press has the bent handle. The single stage also came with a primer disposal tube that's twice the length of the one the turret press came with.

Model29-2
09-30-2012, 11:52 PM
I'm happy as a hog in slop with my Lee classic CAST press. About 4 years old now and I can't imagine it ever wearing out. The thing is built like a tank.
Be sure and get the bushing things for it. You can snap in and snap out a die real fast.

Also, I like the primer feeder/charger too. For some people it takes a little getting used to but once you get it set up it works great.

I also use the Lee Auto Prime II on the single stae. If you want to prime a bunch of cases fast this will do it, and you have all the leverage of the press. If you set it right there will be NO primers that are not flush or below.

Just a FWIW.

UNIQUEDOT
10-01-2012, 04:16 PM
I seem to remember them being on the market in the 1998-1999 time frame

I went and pulled midways first ever master catalog off my bookshelf and it was dated 2003 and the classic cast was not in the catalog.

jimkim
10-01-2012, 07:06 PM
I went and pulled midways first ever master catalog off my bookshelf and it was dated 2003 and the classic cast was not in the catalog.

It isn't in the Lee Precision '03 catalog, but is on the cover of '04. I'm guessing it would have been introduced late in the third, or early in the fourth quarter of '03, to take advantage of the Christmas sales season. It's probably in an article in a June or July '03 gun mag introducing the newest products for 2004.

http://www.reloadbench.com/downloads/pdf-files/lee/91495.pdf

http://www.reloadbench.com/downloads/pdf-files/lee/90495.pdf

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-01-2012, 10:10 PM
It isn't in the Lee Precision '03 catalog, but is on the cover of '04. I'm guessing it would have been introduced late in the third, or early in the fourth quarter of '03, to take advantage of the Christmas sales season. It's probably in an article in a June or July '03 gun mag introducing the newest products for 2004.

http://www.reloadbench.com/downloads/pdf-files/lee/91495.pdf

http://www.reloadbench.com/downloads/pdf-files/lee/90495.pdf

And we have a winner! That's the year I bought mine. What a great deal for 50 bucks. Drove my made in USA Rock Chucker off my bench and into the "for sale" bin. No comparison with the chinee made rock chucker with it's soft casting and sloppy machining tolerances. Can't go wrong with one of these Lee Classic Cast single stages.

1hole
10-03-2012, 09:05 PM
"Drove my made in USA Rock Chucker off my bench and into the "for sale" bin. No comparison with the chinee made rock chucker with it's soft casting and sloppy machining tolerances. Can't go wrong with one of these Lee Classic Cast single stages. "

Ah man, you do know you gonna cause a rash of near-fatal heart attacks and strokes across the web with that don't you? ;)