PDA

View Full Version : Top Punch for Lee 158gr FN Bullets

Jeff82
09-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Can anyone recommend a top punch for Lee 158 grain Flant Nose bullets (358-158-RF)?

Thanks.

theperfessor
09-26-2012, 09:23 AM
I can help. See my sig line.

Wally
09-26-2012, 10:05 AM
I use a Lyman 311. Place a dab of epoxy on it--let it semi-harden---place some saran wrap over a bullet tip and press to shape--let it sit overnight and you are good to go. To remove the epoxy lightly heat with a propane torch just enough to melt it--wipe it of...

Jeff82
09-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the input.

--Jeff

gwpercle
09-27-2012, 04:59 PM
I do it like Wally does except use epoxy putty . it can be found in plumbing section for repairing small leaks in pipes . It doesn't run. Put a small ball in the nose punch , install punch in lube/sizer , grease the bullet nose with vaseline and place it in the sizing die, lower the handle putting the bullet under a bit of pressure ... make sure everything is in line and straight . Let harden over night, custom fit to your bullet.

gary

Wally
09-27-2012, 05:12 PM
I do it like Wally does except use epoxy putty . it can be found in plumbing section for repairing small leaks in pipes . It doesn't run. Put a small ball in the nose punch , install punch in lube/sizer , grease the bullet nose with vaseline and place it in the sizing die, lower the handle putting the bullet under a bit of pressure ... make sure everything is in line and straight . Let harden over night, custom fit to your bullet.

gary

I never tried that as I have two large bottles of the liquid epoxy. I did try hot glue. It eventually breaks down and comes apart. Of course one can use this method (Epoxy) for seating screws. Whatever works...I would guess that the putty would be the better method. Many swear by plastic steel.

ubetcha
09-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Try a Lyman or RCBS #429, if its a flat nose.There is a nose punch chart on this site.Someone (and I don't remember who and I would like to thank them for doing so)took the time to compile a nose punch chart for Lyman,RCBS,and Lee.Do a search for "nose punch chart".

Jeff82
09-28-2012, 08:51 AM
The Lyman #429 out of the box will deform the Lee bullets I'm working with. I went to work on it with my Dremel tool and was able to make a working top punch, but it's far from ideal. I like the idea of custom moldling a form fitting die, and am pursuing that.

Wally
09-28-2012, 09:27 AM
The Lyman #429 out of the box will deform the Lee bullets I'm working with. I went to work on it with my Dremel tool and was able to make a working top punch, but it's far from ideal. I like the idea of custom moldling a form fitting die, and am pursuing that.

I have a flat faced Nose punch, that was made for me---it works on/for any pullet caliber that has a flat nose. Uising it you will get no deformation. Probably a good idea to have one---The Professor sells them and they are indispensible IMHO.

Jeff82
09-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Thank you, Wally. I've been talking to the Perfessor.

09-28-2012, 03:18 PM
A feature of theperfessor's top punches, that I like, is the ability to use hot melt glue to create the proper nose profile. The glue is easily removed, which allows the punch to be used for any number of different boolit designs.

I've tried matching Lyman punches and Lee boolits, but wondered if the mis-match didn't allow the boolit to properly align with sizing die. Also, the usual ring, on the boolit nose, doesn't sit well with some people.

Filling the odd punch with epoxy makes it versitile for flat-nose boolits, as does making one from a bolt.

All-in-all, for $8, theperfessor's punches are of a multi-use design and an excellent value, too boot.

ubetcha
09-29-2012, 09:46 PM

gary

I take it that there is enough lube on the sides of the sizing die that the epoxy will not stick to it?. And degrease the nose punch also is a obvious requirement.