PDA

View Full Version : The SR9C at 10000 Frames per second

Calamity Jake
09-26-2012, 09:10 AM
http://vimeo.com/48571597

Exploring Frame Rates and Resolutions on a Phantom Flex High Speed Camera - Video Blog
by Tom Guilmette

Cool footage of a semi auto being fired.

TCFAN
09-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Great video. I would like to see a cast boolit exit the gun at 10000 frames per second to see how the lube comes off..........Terry

Wayne Smith
09-26-2012, 11:25 AM
I was thinking exactly the same thing, Terry. Awesome video, wonderful equipment.

Smitty's Retired
09-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Three words ..... "Art In Motion!"

Thanks for posting, that was some fantastic camera work. Props to the shooter also.

geargnasher
09-26-2012, 02:05 PM
I'd like to see a CB come out of a rifle muzzle at 2K + fps at one million frames. Maybe one day!

Gear

Larry Gibson
09-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Note toward the end of the vidio as we see the bullet going away the spiraling off of ?. Narrator says it is lead and may well be as the ammo appeared to be Speer Blazer TMJ. What the effect on a non coated GC cast bullet at HV from a fast twist would be interesting to see as gear mentions. Also noe the precurser gas exit before the bullet. Obviously the TMJ bulets were not sealing the bore well. Awesome vidio and maybe someday we can interest someone with the vidio equipment and know how to vidio cast bullets?

Larry Gibson

geargnasher
09-26-2012, 04:06 PM
There was a thread here in our town some time ago where a member had indicated he might possibly have access to some very high frame-rate video equipment, but I don't know what became of it. I've found a handfull of really excellent videos on U-toob showing muzzle exit in the past, some as high as one million FPS. Unfortunately, all with copper-jacketed bullets. That long series showing impacts of various projectiles with steel plates was really neat (links have been posted here a couple of times), that particular testing lab would be ideal to show muzzle exit vids of some of the cast boolits they were shooting. I'm particularly interested in a cast vs. jacketed muzzle exit comparison, to observe the effectiveness of the presumably better obturation that cast boolits achieve. So much stuff comes out before the bullet with jacketed that it's easy to tell how poorly they seal the bore, being typically at or just under groove dimension.

Lube jettison and patch jettison with paper-jacketed CBs, as well as tests done with compacting buffers would tell us a LOT about what's going on at the muzzle.

Gear

DCM
09-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Very interesting!