PDA

View Full Version : who could give me the dies?

kickboxing
09-26-2012, 07:22 AM
hello all,
sorry if I have not tried much in the forum but I find a lot of information is very difficult in another language (I'm Italian) ;-)

I am looking for inexpensive DIES that produces BTSniper for the .308 winchester.

I want to find a product that allows me to reproduce the Sierra HPBT bullet (175Grain).

thanks again to all : D
Salvo

kickboxing
09-26-2012, 07:24 AM
I would like to use a rock chucker press (RCBS) :)

DukeInFlorida
09-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Salvo,
Welcome to CastBoolits Swaging area.

There is no "INEXPENSIVE" swaging set for .308 size.

You should place an order with BT Sniper soon, I know he is currently building the sets for that size, and they will sell very fast. You could have them before the end of the year.

kickboxing
09-26-2012, 12:12 PM

the shape of the bullet can I choose it? I would like to form Sierra 175gr HPBT :)

BT Sniper
09-26-2012, 12:46 PM
PM sent.

I expect to have the necessary tooling to make boat tail bullets by the end of the year. At the moment I only offer flat base bullet dies.

It will be necessary to use commercial jackets, copper tubing jackets or derimed 22LR brass for making boat tail bullets. I do not recomend anyone try to make boat tail bullets out of any cartridge brass with how thick the brass is at teh base of the resulting jacket.

I'll keep eveyone posted with my boat tail die progress.

BT

kickboxing
09-26-2012, 04:46 PM
i will buy sierra jacket? :)

DukeInFlorida
09-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Sierra jacket is option A.

Option B is to make them from copper tubing.

But, you would have to tell BT Sniper which way you prefer to do this, since the tooling set is different for Option A and Option B.

http://www.cornerhardware.com/images/20428.jpg

i will buy sierra jacket? :)

kickboxing
09-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Option B has the same result as the A? :)

sorry my inglish :)

Utah Shooter
09-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Not as good and not as easy.

kickboxing
09-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Not as good and not as easy.

option A or option B?

:mrgreen:

Utah Shooter
09-26-2012, 08:59 PM
I would go with the pre made jackets.

runfiverun
09-27-2012, 12:02 AM
i would also.
i am starting with his 5.7 die set and will add to it as i go along.
but sierra jackets are also on my list of things to get as they will work in the plain based set i am going to start with.
if i were to make boat tail bullets i would just go with the pre made jackets.

Buckshot
09-27-2012, 12:41 AM
............kickboxing, If you are expecting to get the same accuracy from your swaged bullets as you do from the Sierra 175gr bullet (Matchking?), my suggestion would be to buy quality jackets (like J4's). There is no sense attempting that level of accuracy with less then optimum components.

................Buckshot

BT Sniper
09-27-2012, 02:07 AM
I can make a piece of ugly brass shoot under 1/4 moa but it all comes down to how much time and effort one wants to take in making these bullets. The commercial jackets will be much easier and quicker to make bullets with then the copper tubing but it all comes down to what one has access to and how much time they have.

It just so happens I shot another group of .220 MOA today at 120 yrds with my stock 12 BVSS savage 300WM shooting my bullets made from FN5.7 brass. I was impressed! Haven't shot any of these bullets or the gun in a while but the last time I shot it on the bench I got a .215" group at 100yrds. Pretty darn cool with scrap bullets!

Here was last years group, you all have probably seen this pic before. I'll have to post pics later of the group I shot today but it looks the same, one ragged hole!

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1050132.jpg

BT

DukeInFlorida
09-27-2012, 05:19 AM
You have said that you want the Boat Tail on the back end of the bullet. You will have to wait for BT Sniper to deliver those special bottom punches later on.

Option A ( the commercial J4 jackets ) would make the most accurate and best bullets, including the forming of the boat tail. However, that also comes at the higher cost for that way to make the bullets. The J4 jackets are very expensive, and you will have to wait for Sierra to deliver the jackets to you.

Option B (copper tubing) will allow you to be saving a little more money, but have more production steps, and still be able to form a reasonable boat tail. The copper tubing can be purchased at most plumbing supply stores. It's common, not too expensive, and easy to form into jackets.

As you can see from BT Sniper's pictures, even the bullets formed with no boat tail (Option C, making them from 5.7X28 FN pistol brass) can be very desirable and accurate. For me, C is the best option. I have enough of the starting brass, and am happy without the boat tail. I expect the same tight groups that BT Sniper has taken pictures of.

Option B has the same result as the A? :)

sorry my inglish :)

kickboxing
09-27-2012, 07:41 AM
how much cost 1000 jackets J4? :)

who can send in Italy?

Smokin7mm
09-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Sierra only carries a 1.155" long jackets for 30cal. This would not be long enough to make a 195gr bullet. Berger jackets are a little more spendy. I cant find their current price list but I recall that they are running around 22 cents a piece not. They really took a jump the last couple of years from the price of copper going so high. You can call or e-mail berger and they will send you a current price list.

Bret

DukeInFlorida
09-27-2012, 09:57 AM
From the berger web site:
***Bullets available for domestic purchases only, in accordance with
the regulations under DDTC (Dictorate of Defense and Trade Controls).
Specifically ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations)
22 C.F.R. Chapter 1, Subchapter M Parts 120-130

They won't ship jackets to Italy.

Maybe this place, but I doubt it:
http://reloadinginternational.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=898

Copper tubing is your ONLY option, kickboxing.

Wayne Smith
09-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Do you shoot very long range? The ballistic advantage of the boat tail bullet begins around 500m. Shorter range than that you will see little to no advantage of the boat tail over the flat base bullet.

Do you shoot in competition? If you want to make a competitive bullet you need to be very obsessive compulsive, paying attention to every detail of the production. If you are not you are far better off buying bullets.

BT Sniper
09-27-2012, 10:20 AM
I have a thousand of the Sierra 30 cal jackets. I will use these to experiment with my new boat tail dies. I'll have to check to be sure but I am sure they will make the 175s with ease and possibly a lot heavier.

BT

Wayne Smith
09-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Good idea, Brian, but if he can't get them in Italy it won't help Kickboxing.

Utah Shooter
09-27-2012, 08:04 PM
I am waiting to see the photo of a group shot at 500 yards with brass jackets vs copper jackets.

Stick with the copper jackets if you are trying to replicate 175 SMK's. So much changes at that distance. I do not know anyone who shoots their 30 cal rifle at strictly 100 yards.

Bollocks
09-28-2012, 04:11 AM
Hi,

About 2 years ago I imported a few buckets of J4 jackets from www.reloadinginternational.com.

They will apply for an US export permit but do require an import permit from the reciever to do so.

Contact them if you need J4 jackets. They are very helpfull.

Bruno's also lists 4 jackets but I'm not sure if he will export them.

Rgds from the Netherlands,
Bollox