PDA

View Full Version : Case trimmer recommendation.

rollmyown
09-25-2012, 09:43 PM
It's time to upgrade from my Lee trimmers. I like them but they in many instances over trim the brass.

I'm looking at a bench mounted setup. Who likes what and why?

shotman
09-25-2012, 09:46 PM
well you dont say much. do you want powered? or hand job ? electric? drill?

Lizard333
09-25-2012, 09:47 PM
I went with the dillon trimmer. Very quick and I don't have to debur after trimming. I can do 1000 to 1200 rounds an hour. Try doing that with an RCBS.

09-25-2012, 09:49 PM
hand job

I thought this was a family-friendly forum:kidding:

tonyjones
09-25-2012, 09:51 PM
My first choice is the Wilson/Sinclair. My second choice is the Forster. Both do a good job and available accessories make them more than mere case trimmers.

Tony

cheese1566
09-25-2012, 09:59 PM
hand job

I thought this was a family-friendly forum:kidding:

She never sees the humor either when throw that option out there ...:twisted:

Love Life
09-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Depends on the amount of brass you need to trim.

I have a lyman universal that used to fit my needs. The I decided to trim a batch of .357 mag brass, and the results now have me trimming all of my rifle brass, and revolver brass.

It is time to upgrade.

So in summary what trimmer you get depends on many things:

Amount of brass to trim
How much your time is worth
How much effort you want to put into it

rollmyown
09-26-2012, 01:01 AM
I'd be looking at doing up to a hundred or two in a sitting. Probably a quality hand crank model will be what I am after. (or will this be too slow for the volume I'm looking at?)
Right or wrong I see loading up the shaft with the weight of a partially supported electic drill to be a bad thing for a precision tool.
The powered models seem to be over priced, and I've only seen 110volt models anyway.
I'd need a 220 -240 volt model.

r1kk1
09-26-2012, 05:25 AM
I use different types for different things. I like the Wilson for hand trimming and the CH4D is very similar. File trim dies or a Forster setup for hogging large amounts of brass like making 30 Herrett cases from 30-30, etc. the Wilson is very accurate and repeatable. I may look at the datum style if I have large amounts to do like Possum Hollow, WFT, Gracey, Dillon, etc.

Take care,

r1kk1

Lizard333
09-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Anytime someone mentions a hand crank model my right hand aches. For any volume of brass at all, go electric.

rasto
09-26-2012, 07:50 AM
World finest trimmer and you can use your own 220V drill for this purpose.

dragon813gt
09-26-2012, 08:16 AM
I have a Forster with the drill adapter. I ran through 500 pieces of 357 mag brass in no time with it. I have a cheap Lyman manual one that I use for chamferring. It's only one rotation(one inside, one outside) and doesn't take much pressure so I don't mind. I also typically only do 100 or so at a time.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

shotman
09-26-2012, 08:24 AM
the hand crank will be fine for a couple hundred. You are not cutting much. and many you may not cut at all. On a 357 it would most likely be one time only. Get the carbide cutter.Its worth the extra money

Dan Cash
09-26-2012, 08:31 AM
I have replaced my Lyman and RCBS trimmers with Forsters which I have adapted to power operation. They give me 100% repeatable results and are quick to use.

Saint
09-26-2012, 09:54 PM
I love my Forster. It is simple to use. Once you get into a rhythm you can swap out cases super fast and compared to prices of other bench mounted options it's tough to beat. Its infinitely faster than the lee handheld trimmers. Picked mine up at Cabelas for 70 dollars and thats their regular price.

Naphtali
09-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Regarding the Wilson trimmer, it is less than ideal when wanting to trim straight cases - for example, 45-70, 45 Colt, 357 magnum - but excellent for bottlenecked brass. My shooting-hunting partner and I use Wilson and Redding 2400s.

Hope this helps.

dauntlessdave
09-27-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm surprised I haven't seen Giraud mentioned. I went through a Wilson trimmer with drill attachment and had a Forster for awhile but pretty much wore myself out trimming brass. Ended up selling one of my pistols in order to buy a Giraud and feel the priceyness of it well worth it. Giraud trimmers are arguably the best going if you've got a S-load of brass to trim.

Giraud trimmers accomodate more than 80 calibers and should you find a caliber not on his list, Doug will in all likelyness make a caliber conversion per request.

If anyone's interested, check 'em out at www.giraudtool.com

Love Life
09-28-2012, 03:43 PM
The hand crank is fine for that volume. I just screwed up and got an autoloader.

I am looking at a WFT for 223, but more than likely I'll send it off to get processed.

Stork
09-28-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm going to agree with the majority of other posters and give Forster a big plug. I've been using mine for well over 30 years. I'm on the second cutter for it and don't want to take a wild guess on how many tens of thousands of rounds I've done with it. It's fast & accurate and very well machined. If you have a cordless drill you can just close it onto the hardened threads instead of the handle. Or just pick up the adapter for using a drill. I've been just clamping onto the threads for a few decades with no ill effects.

I tried a Wilson and just couldn't grow to like it as well as the Forster.

FWIW

Char-Gar
09-28-2012, 04:42 PM
I have a Wilson and a Forster. I prefer the Wilson..50 years of use and still going strong.

UBER7MM
09-30-2012, 04:12 PM
I'll second the Wilson. They work well.

rollmyown
09-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Those nice people at Sinclair International sent me a catalogue (to take all my money away :-) )

Anyway The Forster and Wilson get a good rap here.

The thing that bothers me the most is both appear to reguire lots of extra collets (Forster) or trimmer case holders (wilson). Other brands of trimmer seem to only require the pilots (many of which come with them anyway)

I load for (or plan to in the future) the following: 22 Hornet, 223, 6.5 Swede, 7.62x54, 308, 303 Brit, 357 Mag, 45 Colt and 45/70.

How many extra collets will I need if I go down the Forster road?, How many case trimmer holders if I go the Wilson route?

I don't want to spend a fortune to get the job done.

Saint
09-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Not sure if this is the case with all the Forster trimmers but mine came with two collets. They are stepped inside so each collets can handle several different case sizes. The ones it came with have handled every cartridge I have put in them.

Alan in Vermont
09-30-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm a Forster fan. My trimmer was the first serious reloading tool I bought. I was loading with a Lee Loader for 243 and bought the trimmer and a McKillen & Heyer case length gauge so I could check length after quite a few firings.

As far as collets go I think you can cover about 90% of the common calibers with two collets. I'm pretty sure it takes two to cover 308 and the common belted mag case heads as well as 30-30. I think there are only four in all and one of them is only for 45-70 and derivatives.

I was using mine today to trim a batch of reformed 300 WM to 350 RM length so there was a bunch of brass coming off. Found out that I can close the 1/2" chuck on one of my cordless drills directly onto the cutter shaft so there's no worry about possibly (although I never have) buggering up the threads by chucking them to run the trimmer under power.

Model29-2
10-01-2012, 12:26 AM
I too am looking for a new trimmer. I've about decided Forster is the way to go after doing a lot of reading and research and this thread is only confirming what I have read.

If you get the Forster Original Case Trimmer Kit it comes with all the collets and stuff you need. Currently $87.99 at Midway, and a few dollars less at Cabelas. :)

Here is the info from Midway:

Collets Used: Forster "Original" Case Trimmer Collets #1, #2, #3, #4
Collets Included: Yes Collets #1, #2, #3 (they will fit most rifle cases from the 17 Remington to the 375 H&H and most handgun cases from 38 Special to 45 Colt (Long Colt)
Pilots Used: Forster
Pilots Included: Yes, Pilots for 22, 24, 25, 27, 28 and 30 caliber pilots. (Additional Pilots Sold Separately)
Features: Used to trim cases from 17 Caliber (with additional 17 caliber cutter shaft Not Included) up to 458 Caliber

They have another kit, I think it is called the "classic" kit, but it is for big bore stuff. I just shoot "normal" calibers.

rollmyown
10-01-2012, 03:07 AM
I had better try Cabelas. Midway won't post overseas, and Sinclair doesn't do the kit (or at least it's not listed in their catalogue). If I buy in separate pieces it will come to a lot more than the prices you've listed.

Thanks to all for the info.

rollmyown
10-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Any body got a number for cabelas?

TIA

o6Patient
12-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Its hard to beat the "universal" case holder on the Lyman, as stated depending on your needs.
If you get one ; get the carbide cutter and power adapter.

Kydaddy
01-31-2013, 11:06 PM
I use the Wilson and a battery screwdriver for rifle. Love it to death although it is SLOW. Try doing 1000 50 BMG and you will understand. Don't use if g&r pistol brass

calgunner
02-01-2013, 02:43 AM
I use the Lyman universal. I got it twenty or so years ago with both the hand and power cutters for it. For what I use it for they work great but I don't reload any pistol just rifle cases. So like the other guys here have said it just depends on what your needs are.

novalty
02-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Another happy L.E. Wilson trimmer owner.

o6Patient
02-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Another happy Lyman, Lyman, RCBS owner.

odis
02-01-2013, 02:57 PM
The only trimmer I've ever used is my Forster, I have never felt the need to try anything else.

joec
02-01-2013, 04:32 PM
I actually holding off till this one comes out in the next few weeks for my rifle rounds https://fsreloading.com/news.php#LeePrecisionNewFor2013. I figured it is cheap enough and if it works is pretty easy to use as well as fast.

doulos
02-02-2013, 12:20 AM
If you are looking for a power trimmer I really like the RCBS Trim Pro power. I had a ton of .357 cases and .44 mag cases and .357 maximum and 45-70 that were all different lengths. I trimmed them so fast I was surprised. . Looks complicated but really isnt.

BRobertson
02-02-2013, 01:28 AM
I bought a Giraurd for doing .223, when I went through the Ar-15 phase,

It is fantastic for that, or any high volume bottle neck case!!

I have always used a Lyman and Redding for handgun cases.

I am on an accuracy kick with my Freedom Arms now, and just ordered a Sinclair/Wilson Ultimate stainless trimmer.

I want to experiment with .357, .44, .454 cases, and see if trimming the cases more exact makes any difference.

The Lyman is getting pretty worn, and has not ever been real precise.

Bob

doulos
02-05-2013, 10:26 PM

I am on an accuracy kick with my Freedom Arms now, and just ordered a Sinclair/Wilson Ultimate stainless trimmer.

I want to experiment with .357, .44, .454 cases, and see if trimming the cases more exact makes any difference.

Bob

I just saw a video of that Giraurd trimmer. Looks like a beast of a trimmer.

Ewald
02-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Darn you guys. I was up until 2 AM last night looking at trimmers on the Web, because of this thread! :coffeecom

doulos
02-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Darn you guys. I was up until 2 AM last night looking at trimmers on the Web, because of this thread! :coffeecom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lXo96H-h7k

rcbs also has this head available for it
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/145038/rcbs-trim-pro-case-trimmer-3-way-cutter-22-caliber
dont have one of these but looks interesting

There is some great products out there from a lot of different manufacturers

doulos
02-06-2013, 02:59 PM

Bob

I think many would be surprised at the difference in case length of magnum cartridges if they measured them. I know I was surprised. It definitely cant hurt to check and trim them. Your OAL and bullet seating depth affects your pressure. And the cartridges you mention are high pressure handgun rounds.

hd09
02-07-2013, 12:03 PM
I've had a Forster forover 30 years, still works good as new. Always just cranked by hand.

GT27
02-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Lyman/w power adapter:coffee:

shooterg
02-07-2013, 10:08 PM
For large quantities of one caliber I love my Gracey. Got it before Giraud came out with his "Cadillac" version, which would be my first choice now.

JWFilips
02-07-2013, 10:17 PM
That's funny My Lee hand trimmers all trim above spec'ed "trim to lengths"!

I like to go to min. on the first trim..... Which is easy with My Lyman however I find with my Lyman The trim is not always parallel to the bases : Depends on how you torque the shell in the base collet ..and that aggravates me

drklynoon
02-07-2013, 10:48 PM
No ones mentioned it but I use a Lyman acculine trimmer. The use of shellholders doesn't irritate me and the attachments are pretty decent. The tool isn't what I would call exacting as there is plenty o' slop in the cutter shaft but it seems to cut everything square.

JWFilips
02-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Well the simple Lee hand trimmers work well (Parallel to base) as long as you turn both hands! Not just the cutter end

Bluetickhound
02-08-2013, 10:46 AM
I just bought a Wilson trimmer. I was a little hesitant at first because of all the "extras" you have to get to make it work but the reviews made it an easy choice for me to go ahead and "pull the trigger", so to speak. It hasn't come in yet but when it does, I'll be back with an extra $0.02.

By the way, has anyone got an opinion one way or the other as to the micrometer adjustment attachment and/or neck reaming setup for the Wilson?

Hip's Ax
02-08-2013, 11:44 AM
When I started reloading my first trimmer was a flea market Redding with the single blade cutter. Since I was only reloading 30-06 and 30-40 Krag and the trimmer came with a 30 cal pilot I liked it just fine. When I got into different calibers I bought the new version of the Redding and used it for years. Later I added a Wilson to trim my long range prone rifle cases as it gets them all the same exact length. Later I bought a Giraud for my service rifles. Looking now at adding an RCBS power trimmer for my off the wall mil surp cases as the Wilson with the power attachment and especially the Giraud has made me lazy, the Giraud is just like sharpening pencils after its set up.

r1kk1
02-08-2013, 11:57 AM
I just bought a Wilson trimmer. I was a little hesitant at first because of all the "extras" you have to get to make it work but the reviews made it an easy choice for me to go ahead and "pull the trigger", so to speak. It hasn't come in yet but when it does, I'll be back with an extra $0.02.

By the way, has anyone got an opinion one way or the other as to the micrometer adjustment attachment and/or neck reaming setup for the Wilson?

I like the micrometer attachment. Repeatable and easy to set.

Take care