View Full Version : Tractor hydraulic fluid?

Elkins45
09-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Anybody ever try tractor hydraulic fluid with beeswax to make sort of a Speed Green formula without the green? I ask because I have a whole bunch of it surplus.

357Mag
09-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Elkins -

Howdy !

I've had to work ( both on the farm and w/ the Military ) w/ a lot of hydrualic fluid.

If you can access and read the " Material Safety Data Sheet " for this stuff, most products are particularly " nasty ". " Skydrol " is not compatible w/ any part of the human body... internal or external. Most Hyd fluids are the same way.

Tri-crysle phosphate, esther.... and what else have you. In some cases, the "permissable exposure limit " of the constituant chemical(s) is "not known".
A lot of available products are NOT "green".

When hydraulic fluid is heated or otherwise dispersed, the result can be noxuous vapors highly irritating to the eyes & lungs.

I use(d) a 50/50 combo of parrafin wax and vaseline for my home-made lube.

Have also heard of other shooters using hydraulic fluid or ATF as part of home-made bore cleaner. Speaking for my own self... that's nothing I'd want to do.

Didn't mean to "soap box" on your post. A thousand applogies !

With regards,
357Mag

Eutectic
09-25-2012, 06:36 PM
Tractor Hydraulic Fluid contains a pretty healthy additive package with friction modifiers for wet clutches/brakes.... ZDDP for a little EP help with the gears. VI improvers as well if mineral based.... So I don't know....

I'd try it and see. I think (pretty sure) it would shoot slick on you though with accurate rifle loads. Might not see it with handgun. Most two part mixes do with a strong "oil" part on board with the beeswax. I'd be curious what you find out so let us know!

Eutectic

PS Paul
09-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Sounds like you could use it so long as you just don't breathe....LOL!!

izzyjoe
09-25-2012, 07:46 PM
i've had that stuff all over me at work, in places i'm not talking about! but when you work on truck's & equipment, you'll have that! i have'nt thought about it for boolit lube, but it won't wash off you're for nuthin'. so it may make a good lube additive. it's gota be tough, cause it operates at 3000+ psi all day long.

runfiverun
09-25-2012, 08:22 PM
as an add on to another lube it should do fine.
the zddp will eventually add a coating to your bbl neither good bad or otherwise.
the friction modifyer is a decent additive.
and the oxidization fighter added have some benefits.
but to make a speed green i wouldn't.
you can use it as a good additive like i mentioned, but feel it. you need more glide to go with the grit [friction]
something like 8-10% of the fluid would be plenty.
a b-wax base, and about 25% #2 chassis grease. would make a good lube.
if the temps stay above 40-f adding about 3% carnuba wax would have a benefit also.