PDA

View Full Version : What is up with Lyman?

Bret4207
05-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Who is running Lyman? What are they thinking? The latest issue of the Fouling Shot arrived yesterday with news that Lyman is re-introducing 2 designs. Good news right? Maybe the 358009 or some of the 30's we all want or a heavier 8mm. Nope a 405 Win and a 50 cal BP design. Comon' Lyman! Open your eyes!

NVcurmudgeon
05-27-2007, 01:08 AM
Yeah, Bret I saw that thing in the FS today, too. At least they are starting to re-introduce good old moulds, maybe this will be the start of something good. I would like to see a 311465 to complete my set of three Loverins. Bet ammohead will be the first kid on his block to line up for the .405 mould.

JeffinNZ
05-27-2007, 01:22 AM
I wouldn't buy another Lyman mould after using Jim's from CBE in AU. Better product, decent thickness sprue plate and a manufacturer who is actually interested in what the punters want.

Lyman is another example of what happens to real businesses when big business gets involved.

no34570
05-27-2007, 08:29 AM
I reckon the CBE moulds that you get here in Australia that Jim Allison runs and owns make excellent moulds for I have quite a few from a adjustable paper- patch mould,for my 45/70 and more moulds for the same to several .303 moulds and 30cal moulds,all excellent workmanship and he listens to what people want.
Just my two cents worth
Cheers
no34570

Maven
05-27-2007, 09:27 AM
Is Lyman still using the thin[ner] sprue plates or have they begun introducing thicker ones (~1/8" -> ~3/16")? The reason I ask is that I purchased #311644, which was made in 1999 according to the packaging/quality control tag that came in the box, and it has the heavier sprue plate. Btw, I have two of Jim Allison's molds and they are excellent: Cast beautiful, accurate bullets; workmanship second to none; and offer good value, even with shipping from Oz.

Bret4207
05-27-2007, 09:58 AM
I realize Lymans mould division is a penny-ante section compared to the Pacmayer grips and the apparel and sunglasses division, or the cleaning rods, etc for that matter. Still, the market is definitely there as evidenced by our GB's. Lyman "owns" so many good designs and the market for most anything "retro" is so big I'd think they'd at least look at it. Of course having to hire a real machinist or 3 might break their profit margin, I don't know. It would just be nice to see the company that once exemplified the bullet casting industry come back to prominence.

Buckshot
05-27-2007, 11:11 AM
...............Ken talked to them a year and a half back about doing some 'Re-introductions'. I think he talked to some lady there and reported she seemed interested. There was even talk of someone from Lyman checking into this website. Must have been friendly smoke blowing.

After having been involved in it for a bit, I do understand better some of the difficulties in machine work. You don't toss a piece of metal at a lathe or mill and then speak magic words, with your desired part then simply falling out on the floor.

However in Lyman's position they already have:

1) The people to make and maintian the cherries (reamers)
2) The machines dedicated to the cherrying of mould blocks
3) Set up to fabricate raw blocks

There is no new capitol expenditures to make. No re-tooling for a whole new line of something besides moulds. They already do it all. Like several years back when they announced they'd "Found" a cherry for the collar button mould, so they'd have a special run of them. So you're telling me this cherry spent 60 years (or whatever) on the floor under some cabinet or something?

Then they found it and someone said, "Hey lets make a bunch of these!". I would suspect that Lyman makes a comparaively nice profit on each mould they sell. I can't see why not, either. Yet they just don't seem to be very responsive . Look and see what NEI wants to make a cherry, and they're only talking a limited number of moulds, and NOT old proven Lyman designs that go for big money on E-Bay or gunshows.

I just don't get it myself.

................Buckshot

felix
05-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Buckshot, unless they moved from their location in 1974, the insides of their cast boolit operation was nothing to be proud of. I only saw the mold repair, design research section where a couple of guys paid homage to a collection of molds that would make your head swim. I was taking one back for an exchange, and the guy "in charge" that day said to pick what you want and bring it over for a diameter check. That was done after a half hour of contemplation. This was before the time I knew about obsolete molds, so I just picked what I though I wanted. I had no idea what I was looking at during that time, but floodgate would have gone wild with his current knowledge. ... felix

floodgate
05-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Maven:

According to Lyman's Tom Griffin, they switched to the thicker sprue plates (for the large "DC" mould blocks only; the small blocks had been discontinued in 1978, and the 4-cavity moulds have had thick plates all along) in 2002. The blocks themselves were mo./yr. date stamped starting in 2000. Cherries have been made by outside vendors for at least a couple of decades, as indicated by the two-letter codes suffixed to the mould ID number.

floodgate

floodgate
05-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Felix:

Lyman moved a few miles from the old location in MiddleFIELD CT to MiddleTOWN in 1974. Tom says the "lady" (he didn't give me her name, and I didn't want to get too pushy) in charge of mould-making operations has been with them for 35 years or so. What a mine of information she would be!

floodgate

felix
05-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Doug, I was back in the casting area, back behind the machinery if you will. I don't think a woman would ever step foot in that place. There were several pots going full time back there, and there was some flavor to the air. And, I don't remember if it was TOWN of FIELD, but the BlueTrails range was almost exactly next door. Oh, the guy there at the time looked like Junior, our board member. ... felix

Bass Ackward
05-27-2007, 03:01 PM
...............Ken talked to them a year and a half back about doing some 'Re-introductions'. I think he talked to some lady there and reported she seemed interested. There was even talk of someone from Lyman checking into this website. Must have been friendly smoke blowing.

................Buckshot

Richard,

Copied from Lyman's WEB Site under their FAQ section:

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page.

MORE INFORMATION

Q: Can you recommend a decent and informative website for people interested in bullet casting?

A: There are so many available on the internet, however one we have found to be very informative is: www.castboolits.gunloads.com

45nut
05-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Richard,

Copied from Lyman's FAQ section:

MORE INFORMATION

Q: Can you recommend a decent and informative website for people interested in bullet casting?

A: There are so many available on the internet, however one we have found to be very informative is: www.castboolits.gunloads.com

That came about from my 2003 (?) Shot Show attendance and a visit with Kathy Griffin of Lyman Products. We had a good chat and traded information freely and she spoke of her support for our forum in subsequent phone calls.

She is a informed individual and it was a pleasure to talk to her.
The issue with molds seems to be a corporate one, too many levels to make simple ( to us) decisions on what molds are marketed.

I will make it a point to call her again soon to discuss our ideas.

floodgate
05-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Felix:

I lived in New Haven, CT in the '50's, and spent many sessions at the Blue Trail Range - but wasn't bright enough to ask Eli Lyman, who worked at the big Cook, Newton & Smith sporting goods store, to arrange me a tour of the Lyman plant. Ah, for lost opportunities....(*Sigh*)

45 nutal
Yes, Kathy and her husband Tom have been my principal information sources at Lyman; both really great folks!

floodgate