PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Lyman 462560?

Abert Rim
05-26-2007, 03:36 PM
This seems like such a practical hunting design, yet a Google search shows the molds selling for well over $100 on eBay. Sure seems like Lyman or Lee or someone would make this "Hammer of Thor" mold and sell a bunch. I have a few cast slugs from the mold and I just like to drag them out and look at them once in a while.

JeffinNZ
05-26-2007, 04:47 PM
You're right. I had one and sold it for a premium. The guy who bought it used it in a .45-70 Ruger No. 1 and the got close to MOA accuracy. Really good bullet.

Bullshop
05-26-2007, 05:22 PM
I have one from CBE in exactly the same weight and frofile but with more lube grooves. I also have the Lyman but its a hollow point. After useing both quite a bit I feel the CBE is better. At the higher pressure loadings in the 458 and lott and such the Lyman version may be lacking in lube capacity.
I got the CBE last year for a total of $85.00 shipped. I think that for less money than what I see the Lyman selling for you can get the better mold in the CBE.
BIC/BS

BruceB
05-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Howdy, Bill!

I lucked into a 462560 at the little Winnemucca gun show a year or so back, new-in-the-box for SIX DOLLARS....and that included nose pins both for hollowpoint and no-hollow-point.

I also found a Hoch 459430 nose-pour mold for the same price, same seller...six measly bucks. ($120 at Midway.) I wonder about that guy....there was also a Lyman #450 on his table with fourteen different sizing dies included for $34, and I bet y'all know where THAT one lives, these days.

The Hoch bullet has been used for a few loads in my Shiloh, with very decent results and a lot more experimenting yet to be done. Same applies to the 560 design, but I haven't used it at all extensively yet. Some loads to date do show definite promise. If I was ever to go hunting buffler again, this rifle with the 560 bullet would surely be a contender for the job. Bullshop's comments are very valid, and I believe that the lack of lube capacity to which he referred effectively rules out the 560 for blackpowder applications.

Abert Rim
05-27-2007, 01:46 AM
Thanks for the thoughts, fellas. Bruce, dang! Six bones and it was NIB. I'm just trying to invent some reasons to justify a Ruger No. 1 in .458 Lott, to load up and down with cast and condom. Seems like the 462560 would be just the ticket at 1800-2000 for almost anything. I will check out the CBE mold.
Best regards,
Bill
P.S. Bruce, when is the next gun show in Winnemucca?