PDA

View Full Version : Lee 45 ACP FCD - Custom size or ?

Pitchnit
09-25-2012, 12:19 PM
So my FCD crimps my cast boolits to .451. Should I order custom sized FCD die to .452 or .453? I believe this would be .474 OD? My bore slugs at .451-.4515 and I am sizing to .4525-.453. Running different alloys, WW or 8:1 range lead and mono around 12 Bhn. I am getting some leading but it's not too bad, a bonze brush with chore boy and some hoppes will clean it in 15-30 strokes. I am using all lee dies on a lee 4 hole turret. I just want to improve my skills and what I am building. If I trash the lee FCD what should I use. I am thinking about new dies but dont know if I need a set or should I mix and match. I want to keep the powder through dispenser die for now, I think. I have reloaded around 5000 rounds with the Lee dies but i want to move up a notch or 2 and build better quality ammo. Opinions please. Regards-Pitchnit

09-25-2012, 12:36 PM
To install a taper crimp, you have two options:
1. Use the conventional Lee seat/crimp die that came with your die set.
2. Buy another company's taper crimp die.

Either way, seat and crimp in two steps. A seperate crimp die makes the process easier, rather than having to adjusting the seat/crimp die for each operation. Whatever works best for you.

P.S. Don't overlook the fact that the Lee seat die does, will, can or may be swaging down the typical fat-for-caliber boolit.

44Vaquero
09-25-2012, 01:05 PM
I do not use the FCD for pistol cartridges. It's a solution looking for a problem. I do use a separate taper crimp die, works well for me.

MtGun44
09-25-2012, 03:53 PM
FCD is not necessary if you have normal dies and normal procedures.

Delete and use a normal taper crimp die.

Bill

Pitchnit
09-25-2012, 08:59 PM
OK, Drop the FCD and replace with a regular taper crimp die. Maybe what I am more interested in is how long term 45ACP reloaders and/or those that load for accuracy go about it and will procuring better quality dies produce better quality ammunition and I'm sure I could gain better skills with some experienced advice. I am a mechanical engineer (yeah i know, educated idiot) and have 30+ years experiance with mechanical processes. So other than using Lee dies what dies should I consider. Would a set from a particular manufacturer be best or should i mix and match. Thanks, Regards-Pitchnit

44Vaquero
09-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Speaking from my own experience(24 years reloading 45 acp), I can honestly say a paper target, steel plate or bowling pin cannot tell the difference. Use the dies that you like and work for you. I use a mix Lee, Hornady and Lyman.

09-25-2012, 09:46 PM
I mix and match brands, selecting dies that I consider to be the best for the job and represent the best dollar value.

Regarding the .45 ACP, I use two different sets consisting of Lyman, RCBS, and Hornady.

My experience has shown Lyman seating dies to be the most cast boolit friendly, and I prefer Lyman and Hornady seaters that incorporate sliding sleeves. Every cartridge gets its neck expanded by a Lyman M-die. Rifle cases are sized by Lee's collet neck sizer. Additionally, RCBS is thrown into the mix, for no other reason other than they are RCBS.

I consider die experimenting and selection to be part of the entire reloading process.

r1kk1
09-26-2012, 05:31 AM
I mix different ones too. I use a separate taper crimp die. I do have a full set of Dillon's that work very well but I use a 45 LC die to full length size lately. It doesn't seem to work the brass as hard.

Take care

r1kk1

Pitchnit
09-26-2012, 09:35 AM
OK, thanks for the info. My issue is that I only have experience with the Lee dies. I believe the Lee FCD is causing the most issue know. How about some suggestions for which brand of sizing and seating dies. I like to experiment too and am looking for direction based on experience. I know most of my shooting it probably doesn't matter much as was stated earlier but I am also curious and would like to evaluate different dies without buying 3 or 4 of each. So what do you guys use for sizing seating and crimping? Thank you, Regards-Pitchnit

wrench
09-26-2012, 10:59 AM
I have Lee dies, RCBS, Hornady, and Redding in various combinations. I've loaded thousands of rounds of .45ACP with my Lee dies, with no problems. I do use a regular taper crimp die for my final crimp.
I'm not real brand specific in my reloading tools, but I use lots of Lee dies in many different calibers.

MtGun44
09-26-2012, 04:10 PM
I have had no problem with Lee in many calibers, but personally have used RCBS and
Dillon dies with a separate TC die in .45 ACP for 30+ yrs of high volume reloading of
this cartridge.

Use the dismounted bbl as your gage to set the LOA and degree of TC. With a real
clone of H&G 68, use 1.250 to 1.260 LOA and taper crimp to mouth dimension of
.469-.471 range. Rounds should freely drop all the way into the chamber of your
dismounted bbl. If rifling is marking the boolit shoulder, seat deeper, if the round will
not drop freely in (or 1 lb push max) increase degree of TC.

Lack of or inadequate TC is THE most common cause of failure to feed with reloaded
.45 ACP in many years of coaching new IPSC shooters with this cartridge, mostly in
1911 variants.

Bill

44Vaquero
09-26-2012, 04:49 PM
On my progressive I use a Horandy TiN 45 ACP/Colt sizing die, Lyman M die for case mouth expansion, Lee powder through expansion die for charging and a Lee taper crimp die to finish the sequence. YMMV.....Goodluck on your search/experimenting.

Pitchnit
09-26-2012, 09:09 PM
OK, excellent. 44Vaquero what do you use for bullet seating? I have been considering something of the same but am currently using a 4 hole turret . so I would have to size or crimp as a single step. I do also have a rockchucker so this would be possible. Do you feel you have gained any accuracy or improved consistancy. Regards-Pitchnit

44Vaquero
09-26-2012, 09:18 PM
I am seating with a lee die since I use the bullet feed option on my load master. When I use my single stage I use the Hornady floating seating die.
Truth fully I have tried different combinations and as long as the rounds fit the barrel/chamber I do not see much of a difference.

hk33ka1
09-27-2012, 12:55 AM
Lee makes a seperate taper crimp die for most pistol cartridges. I have the .45 ACP sizer, expander, seater/crimp, FCD, and taper crimp die. I can then choose whichever dies I want or need for my loading.

JLK
09-27-2012, 05:57 AM
I've been shooting NRA Conventional Pistol, "bullseye", off and on for
over 40 years.
MtGunn44 gave you some good advice in post #11.
I have heard the Lee taper crimp is "steeper" than the RCBS die. I use
mostly RCBS but I have some Hornady and Lee dies.
I would rank them 1-RCBS, 2-Hornady, 3- Lee.
I always taper crimp as a separate operation and also a separate expander die. This requires a 5 station press.
For .45 ACP and .38 Spl I use my faithful Star progressive. For all other pistol calibers a Hornady Lock n Load progressive.
Good luck!
JLK

gray wolf
09-29-2012, 10:36 PM
First off, take your engineering diploma and turn it face down on the table.
No hold on before you do that--put the Lee FCD under it.
YOU DON'T NEED IT--unless you have a very finicky barrel and I doubt you do.
Your barrel is your case gauge, use it.
Most manufacturers make 45 ACP dies that work very well, the 45 is not a mystery cartridge that need special attention.
Size and remove the primer, flare enough to seat a new bullet so it wont shave lead, seat and crimp in two steps, crimp just enough to remove the flare.
Go shoot and enjoy--and don't peek at the diploma till your done.

Pitchnit
09-30-2012, 08:36 AM
Gray Wolf, Diploma?, havent seen that thing in 30 years. I only mentioned it to establish a mind set and I think your is correct. I have worked as a manufacturing engineer during the last 30 years. I shot 30 rds yesterday that taper crimped to .4735-.474. Accuracy was decent off bags at 25 yds 75% into 1.5" and the other 25% around 2-1/2. I ran some dummy rounds and pulled the bullet. They were swaged right at .452. AOL was 1.235 +/- .001 with 4.0grn Bullseye (hand weighed). These were seated and crimped in the seating die and using a 10X eyeloupe there was only a hint of shaved lead at the case edge.
I had 1 failure to feed out of the 30. It caught the nose of the Lee 200 gr SWC and slightly creased the side of the case just under the rear bullet driving band. My next step is to obtain a taper crimp die for the last step and not seat/crimp in the same process. Regards-Pitchnit

chris in va
09-30-2012, 12:21 PM
45 seems to be more forgiving with chamber dimensions. My CZ 9mm won't run without the FCD.

nicholst55
09-30-2012, 01:50 PM
I have had no problem with Lee in many calibers, but personally have used RCBS and
Dillon dies with a separate TC die in .45 ACP for 30+ yrs of high volume reloading of
this cartridge.

Use the dismounted bbl as your gage to set the LOA and degree of TC. With a real
clone of H&G 68, use 1.250 to 1.260 LOA and taper crimp to mouth dimension of
.469-.471 range. Rounds should freely drop all the way into the chamber of your
dismounted bbl. If rifling is marking the boolit shoulder, seat deeper, if the round will
not drop freely in (or 1 lb push max) increase degree of TC.

Lack of or inadequate TC is THE most common cause of failure to feed with reloaded
.45 ACP in many years of coaching new IPSC shooters with this cartridge, mostly in
1911 variants.

Bill

I've been shooting NRA Conventional Pistol, "bullseye", off and on for
over 40 years.
MtGunn44 gave you some good advice in post #11.
I have heard the Lee taper crimp is "steeper" than the RCBS die. I use
mostly RCBS but I have some Hornady and Lee dies.
I would rank them 1-RCBS, 2-Hornady, 3- Lee.
I always taper crimp as a separate operation and also a separate expander die. This requires a 5 station press.
For .45 ACP and .38 Spl I use my faithful Star progressive. For all other pistol calibers a Hornady Lock n Load progressive.
Good luck!
JLK

Very good information in these two posts, and I'll give them both a +1! I once bought a small lot of 'reject' .45 ACP ammo from a commercial loader for the price of components because it 'won't feed' in anyone's guns. I took it home and ran it through my taper crimp die, and it fed and fired as fast as I could pull the trigger! When I informed the guy of what I had done, he acted like he had invented the taper crimp die after that!