PDA

View Full Version : Pan lube

trying2learn
09-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap lube I could use to try my hand at pan lubing? I was wanting time try the popping it out from the cake way first. Without having to make a cookie cutter just to see how I like it compared to tumble lube.
By this question I meant a suggestion like Lyman or any of the other pre made stuff so I don't have a lot of new things laying around. Just one tube or however it is sold that will work.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Kraschenbirn
09-25-2012, 11:42 AM
What are you wanting to lube? For velocities up to around 14-1500 fps, you could experiment with one of the commercial lubes such as SPG intended for BP rounds. I make my own Emmert's (very similar to SPG) and use it for both BP and smokeless in my .38-55 and .45-70s.

Bill

mdi
09-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Look into White Label Lubes http://www.lsstuff.com/ They are a vendor-sponsor here. Good products and good prices. Their 50/50 is a good lube to start pan lubing with.

trying2learn
09-25-2012, 12:56 PM
It is for mostly 45acp and 9mm for now. I will look at that link. I really wasn't wanting to make anything and have to buy more chemicals and such. Thank you for the info. I forgot the caliber would make a difference for the lube. My apologies for not giving that info to start with.

jlchucker
09-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Look into White Label Lubes http://www.lsstuff.com/ They are a vendor-sponsor here. Good products and good prices. Their 50/50 is a good lube to start pan lubing with.

Agreed that the LSStuff products are good. I'm about to take up a bit of pan lubing myself, but before I do I'll order some of their 50-50 lube as they sell it in block form. I'm no real fan of tumble-lubing, but the LSStuff product that they are marketing seems to be quite a bit better than the Lee Tumble lube stuff, in my humble opinion.

cajun shooter
09-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Pan lubing is not only very easy if done correctly but a fun way to do your bullets.
The best way that I've found is to purchase a lube cutter from Buckshot before you start. He makes the best that I've ever used.
I normally use my Star (since 1970) but for the larger 45 caliber bullets that are over 500 grains I find pan lubing gives me better results.
The lube cutters by Buckshot are about .002-.003 larger on each side of your bullet to make it easy to cut out the bullet and leave the grooves full of lube. His cutters are made of steel and are hollow so that the bullets exit the top of the cutter after enough have been lubed. They have a knurled surface to facilitate you holding the tool even when greasy.
They are a bargain at the price he sells for.
It will make your pan lubing fast and easy. Later David

trying2learn
09-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Is buckshot a member here or how does one contact him. Thanks for pointing me to him.

Jim
09-26-2012, 09:29 AM
BUCKSHOT'S HOME PAGE (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=67)