PDA

View Full Version : I did it again, and I need some advice?

gcollins
09-25-2012, 08:00 AM
hi Guys,
I have way to much time that I can't do anything but ly in bed:coffee: The other day while I was surfing ebay, I ran acrossed a 6-284 heavy profile rifle barrwl, it is a 1-1/4" acrossed and it is threaded for a Rem 700, the only other marking except the 6mm284 is on the other side (LHL) does anyone know what this means? I put in a very low bid, and figured I would not get it bought, and the ad only stated 6mm not 6mm 284, I went to my email the other day that there was notice from ebay that I had won that barrel, I think it weighs 18lbs, all most my weight limit:roll: And one more thing, is there any simple test I could do to find out the twist rate of this barrel?
I would be very great full for any and all help?
Greg

Casting Timmy
09-25-2012, 08:18 AM
Run a tight pad thru the bore to determine the twist rate. Push the cleaning rod in most of the way and then put a piece of tape even with the muzzle. Make a line or some mark so you knowwhen the tape is facing up. Then slowly pull out the cleaning rod and watch the tape start to slowly spin, once the mark is facing the same direction as it started stop pulling the rod out. Then measure between the muzzle and the piece of tape for your twist rate.

A guy I shoot with has a 22-284, I've shoot it before it was interesting.

Since you probably will have to do some machining anyways you can always change it to something else or just freshen up the lead on the barrel by cutting the chamber a little deeper.

DCM
09-25-2012, 08:13 PM
+1 on what Tim said.
It sounds like there should be enough meat there to chamber it to most any 6mm you want.

gcollins
09-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks, I realy got confused with the mark and having the tape ect. Lets see if I understand.
I push my cleaning rod with a sawb on the end, and push it almost to the end, the I take a piece of masking tape about 2 inch" long, I then will put the middle of the tape and push it up on the rod and then you can put the rest of the tape pushed together making a flag, then pull the rod out about 16" measure from the flag back a foot and make a good mark on the cleaning rod then push the cleaning rod make in to the muzzle, with the flag up i start pulling the rod out counting how many times it took to get to the 1 foot mark on the rod. So the number of turns it takes to pull the rod out a foot! It it took 8 rounds, it would be 1-8 twist, if it took 10 it would be 1-10 twist.
If I am wrong please help me out.
Greg

Bren R.
09-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Measure the number of inches it takes to be pulled out of the barrel to make one full revolution of the rod (like 12 o'clock to 12 o'clock)... 1 in 10" twist, 1 in 14" twist, etc...

Bren R.

fourarmed
09-26-2012, 02:16 PM
One other thing: If the rifling is LH twist, measure while pushing the rod into the barrel. The jag doesn't unscrew that way.

looseprojectile
10-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Another 6mm X 284.
I got my 6mm X 284 at the gunshow for cheap. Loading dies came with it. Came from an estate of an old guy that had a hobby of making some strange guns such as several Ackley improved guns.
Mounted an old 4.5-18 X 50 Tasco scope on it. Fine duplex croshair.
It is easy to shoot all shots into a half an inch at a hundred yards.
Barrel is fairly light, .647" at the muzzle and 26" long.

The gun is built on a large ring Turk action and has a plastic stock with a Charles Daly recoil pad. Also has a great after market trigger.

So far I have been shooting my home swaged 87 grain hollow point bullets.
I would expect it would make into a great rifle after cutting it down to a more reasonable weight.
I hope you will make a gun with it.

Life is good