PDA

View Full Version : Yard sale - #5 Mk I today!

trk
05-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Found a #5 Mk I at a yard sale today - $200. Very Good bore, oil soaked, used but not abused - 1944 vintage.

Brought back memories of my first one - bought it NEW for $45 when I was 16. That thing they called a flash-hider on the front was a MEGAPHONE!

Gonna treat this one to cast boolets - to ease the shoulder pain among other reasons.

monadnock#5
05-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Good score!! My regret is that the mil-surp bug didn't bite me back in the eighties. Back then $200.00 would have half filled my gun locker. "Too soon oldt, too late schmardt."

Ken

LGS
05-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Congrats on the find. Great little rifle. Hope to find one myself some day, that I can afford that is. ENJOY your new toy!! PICS would be nice.

trk
05-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks!

Any idea who/where it was made?

here are the pix:

http://www.hunt101.com/img/497035.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/497036.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/497037.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/497038.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/497039.jpg

rhead
05-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Congrats on the great find.

Phil
05-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Fazakerly if my memory serves. I've had two of the critters, wish I had one again. Paid about $40/50 or so in the old days.

Cheers,

Phil

BruceB
05-26-2007, 06:47 PM
That is a Royal Ordnance Factory (Fazakerly)-built rifle, as indicated by "ROF{F}" and a very good find indeed. I think most of the wartime-buit #5s were actually issued, and many saw service in the China/India/Burma theater, for which they were intended.

Traces of the black paint used at the factory can be seen. Refinishing can be done with any flat-black enamel following de-greasing, but I'd recommend getting one of the firearm-specific finishes from Brownell's, if you can wait that long. It would last longer than most hardware-store stuff. The rifle will look like new, and the finish will be "authentic".

Put the stock out in the hot sun and watch the oil come oozing out. Wipe it down every couple hours. I'm told that Easy-Off oven cleaner can clean up the stock wood fairly quickly, too, as well as putting the various pieces in the automatic dishwasher for a cycle. Then some sanding (using a sanding block) to get the worst dents and scratches, and some Linspeed or other oil finish will do the job. You'll have a very presentable rifle.

It was a No. 5 that was in my hands when I HAD TO kill an oncoming black bear at extremely close range....I'd say the critter was maybe three feet off the muzzle at the first shot, and expired right at my toes after the fourth shot. I also believe that I had all four empty cases in the air at the same time.....I could REALLY run a #5 Enfield in those days, following recent extensive Canadian Army training on its brother, the #4 Rifle. You might also say that I had a certain incentive, in that situation.

I've always had high regard for the #4, but I have a VERY warm spot in my heart for that company-owned #5. Tried to buy it, but they weren't selling. The outfit also owned several Aussie Mk III rifles, which had been cut down at some arsenal into the Mk III equivalent of the #5. "Small Arms of the World" makes reference to a "Mk 6 (Aust)", a 'prototype' carbine with 18" barrel based on the No.1 MkIII. I believe that these company rifles were authentic Aussie-modified rifles, and have yet to see much history on when and where they were converted and where they served....probably New Guinea, at least. My somewhat faded memory says the barrels were a bit longer than 18", and I did have the #5 right there for comparison. These MkIIIs didn't have a flash-hider, either. Sure wish the old rifles could talk to us...

Johnch
05-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Yes , Easy Off will draw out and cut the oil .
Spray on outside
Leave in the hot sun for a hour or so
wipe off , repeat if needed

Yes a great find
John

drinks
05-26-2007, 10:18 PM
My first and only #5 was purchased from McRory's dime store in McAllen TX, about 1960, still in export wrap and 8 hours of cosmoline removal.
Cost $14, I had it about 3 months, deer season came around, only ammo available was FMJ, I traded it for 2 boxes of .303 Savage, for my '99 carbine.
I did consider it a short, but clunky piece, really not the thing for a leverlover.
Also hate to see a magazine sticking down from the belly of a rifle.
;D

trk
05-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the responses AND STORIES!

There's just something special about #4's and #5's. (others too if I'd owned one)

DLCTEX
05-26-2007, 11:11 PM
I bought a Mk,IV( I think) at an estate saleauction about 10 or 12 years for my son Dave. I think the price was about $75 and was the first one sold of 8 or 10, so we got to take our pick. The rest went a lot higher to one buyer, who we found out later was the seller bidding on his own stuff. He must have been asleep on the first one. I think Dave still has it , but disassembled for years, maybe he needs to have Dad put it back together and teach it to sho:Fire: ot cast. DALE

Searcher1911
05-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Good find and price on the No V. I just refinished one with the matte black paint that Brownell's sells that does not have to be baked. It works like magic; it has hiding qualities so those metal scars are pretty well hidden. They sell a degreaser to use in conjunction with the paint and it does a great job getting the rifle ready. The finish is very hard and durable. I think the No V is one of the most exotic surplus rifles on the market. Good choice!!!! :drinks: