PDA

View Full Version : To save an run of oversize moulds,,,,

Hamish
09-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Ever since the original run of the MiHec .22 NATO moulds, I have periodically wondered how to save the poor oversize thing.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=144981&highlight=mihec+nato&page=9

As there is a thread where a member is looking for information on .22 Savage High Power moulds, it got me thinking again.

Since the gas check shanks are too big to place a GC, my thought is to make a tool to press into a .22 gas check to enlarge the I.D. to fit the oversize shank?

I guess the other side of the coin would be a plain base .22 gas check maker?

0verkill
09-24-2012, 10:24 PM
I saw in one of his threads Pat Marlin will make you a custom size male die for about 10$, I'm sure he would make a female die, if needed, to make the outside diameter of the sheck at least .228" to .230".

Larry Gibson
09-25-2012, 03:55 PM
I was wondering the same thing about the oversize Mihec mould. I didn't reply as I've not cast any yet and don't know the "as cast" dimensions of the bullets. Unfortunately the replacement blocks came w/o handle pins, sprue plate, screw, etc. Thus the ones off the over size mould need to go on the new one. Can be changed back and forth but its a PITA. Probably will just order the replacement parts so both moulds are good to go if the original is useable in any way.

Anyways I was thinking a 6mm GC might work if the .22 cal is to small?

Larry Gibson

Blammer
09-25-2012, 04:06 PM
NOE used to sell a GC shank sizing die. You pushed the booilt base first in the sizer, just enough to size the GC shank, then the GC will fit.

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-29-2012, 01:51 AM
Try .006" litho plate thickness maybe?