PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Security Six Trigger Spring Kit?

Dipperman
09-24-2012, 09:37 PM
I have been thinking about putting a Wolf spring kit in a Ruger Security Six to improve (reduce) the trigger pull. The kit contains reduced power trigger return and hammer springs.

In searching the internet for information on what was involved in installing one of these kits I found a lot of negative comments on putting lighter springs on the trigger and hammer of a revolver.

If anyone here has any experience, good or bad, with this kind of kit, I would appreciate any feedback you could give me.

Thanks in advance.

Dipperman

rintinglen
09-24-2012, 11:53 PM
I have used Wolf Springs on 2 Sigs, 2 S&W's, and one Ruger Redhawk. I recommend them with only a few caveats.
1st, polish the rough edges while you got it apart. I hit the main spring guide and the trigger return spring tunnel on a Security Six, as well as any obvious surfaces that are producing wear with 600 grit wet or dry sand paper and or a hard arkansas stone.
2nd, start with the heaviest spring first. Many times I have found that the lightest spring is too light. Even the stiffest of the reduced springs is usually noticeably lighter than the stock springs. A sure bang is worth more to me than a pound lighter trigger pull.
3rd Test fire the gun extensively, at least two hundred rounds, before you call it good. I
I like the results I have had.

cabezaverde
09-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Sent you a PM.

PS Paul
09-25-2012, 09:43 PM
I too have a security six S/S with 6 barrel and have been considering the same thing. I have an employee who simply polished lightly the same as described by rintinglen above with good results. Is the spring kit to be avoided then in favor of a light polish=job?

MtGun44
09-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Put one in many years ago. Helped a lot, has never given trouble. I polished all the
internal parts with 600 grit wet or dry on sides.

Bill

Dipperman
09-29-2012, 09:17 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my question. I appreciate the input.

Thank you all, very much.

Dipperman

Worn_Holster
06-06-2013, 11:05 AM
A guy screen named Iowegan on the Ruger forum produced a DIY trigger job tutorial called IBOK for the SP101. It is a very useful, step by step, clearly written and illustrated guide which anyone considering doing a trigger job on a SP101, GP100, or Security Six should read. He suggests using a Wolf Spring kit in conjunction with sanding away casting imperfections and polishing contact surfaces. I am going to try it out on my Security Six. Google Ruger IBOK and you should find it out there on the www.

TheCelt
06-06-2013, 11:38 AM
I bought a Security Six back in 82 and the FIRST and ONLY thing I did to it was put the Wolf spring kit in. I curse the day I sold that pistol and wish I had it back, it was the most accurate 357 wheel gun I've ever fired. I have since put Wolf Spring Kits in my Ruger Vaqueros and it improved their character as well.

Worn_Holster
06-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Ruger production lines don't take the time to clean up casting imperfections. If you take the time to remove them and polish the contact surfaces, you will get even better performance by reducing friction. My Ruger Security Six Stainless 6" pistol was the first firearm that I purchased in 1981. I haven't fired it for a while, but now since I am playing with casting, I am going to do a trigger job myself while I work up some cast loads to try out.

Moonie
06-07-2013, 10:22 AM
I've recently purchased a 6" SS stainless. I'm enjoying the pistol and will be looking into this. Thanks.

slohunter
06-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Did the same to my SS 4'' Security that MtGun44 did to his. Have had it over 30 years, just sorry I only bought one!