View Full Version : Digital Powder Scales

pistolman44
09-24-2012, 07:55 PM
Would like to know which Digital powder scale is reliable? Thinking of buying one but don't have any experience with one.

Uncle Jimbo
09-24-2012, 08:45 PM
I bought a Frankfort Arsenal DS-750 Digital Scale about a year ago. And to date it has and is just as accurate as my Pacific M balance beam scale. Or the Pacific is just as accurate as the Frankfort. And I check them against each other all the time.

LUBEDUDE
09-24-2012, 09:25 PM
My Dillon has done it's job for well over 15 yrs.

Saint
09-24-2012, 09:32 PM
My Hornady gs1500 gets terrible reviews but to date every time I have checked it against my high end RCBS beam scale it has been spot on. It does measure in .2 grain increments though so it's not great for super precise loading but I have never needed that much accuracy

largom
09-24-2012, 09:47 PM
My Dillon has done it's job for well over 15 yrs.

Same here! However, when I measure powder I use my 5-0-5 scale. Just can't break old habits.

Larry

engineer401
09-24-2012, 11:17 PM
I to use the 505 scale for powder weights. I use the RCBS digital scale for bullet weights. The digital scale must to be re-zeroed each time I weigh powder charges which is frustrating. Therefore, I trust the 505 beam scale more for powder weights. Both scales weigh charges and bullets the same.

biggdawg
09-25-2012, 10:21 AM
i just got an acculab vic123 and it is awesome measures down to .02gn and beats the cabela's digital i had before. i rechecked some charges with my new one and a couple were almost a grain off.

the acculab has been discontinued and was replaced by the Sartorius AY123

novalty
09-25-2012, 10:37 AM
After the little experience I have had with my newly acquired PACT digital, I have been pleased with how it works.

captaint
09-25-2012, 08:31 PM
I got an MTM reasonable price unit from Sinclair. Had it for 3 years now and I still like it a lot. I think it cost about 30 bucks. enjoy Mike

r1kk1
09-26-2012, 05:35 AM
Same here! However, when I measure powder I use my 5-0-5 scale. Just can't break old habits.

Larry

Same here with the Dillon. Too bad the new version has a lower capacity. Bummer.

Take care

r1kk1

wrench
09-26-2012, 11:02 AM
I don't trust any digital scale for powder, any scale I can afford is just not accurate enough for working up loads.
I do have a Dillon electronic scale I use pretty frequently for weighing bullets, and other things that don't have to be so perfect.
Here is a great post re: accuracy of digital scales.
http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34414

9.3X62AL
09-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Wrench--

Many thanks for that link. Some real food for thought right there.

1bluehorse
09-26-2012, 12:11 PM
I have a couple RCBS units, the 750 and the 1500 chargemaster. I also have a couple beam scales, an older Lyman and and even older Pacific. They all work, and I can't say any one is more "accurate" than the other (the Lyman "settles" faster than the Pacific)..I check them against each other occasionally and I also have two different sets of check weights I use. I find however that I use the RCBS 750 rangemaster more than any other because it's just faster and more convenient to use than the beam scales. I've had both RCBS electronic scales for quite a few years and have had zip issues with either.. they are not cheap, however the top of the line RCBS beam scale (1010) costs a little more than the 750 Rangemaster electronic. As good as I think these two electronic scales are I wouldn't be without a beam scale.

km101
09-26-2012, 12:28 PM
After the little experience I have had with my newly acquired PACT digital, I have been pleased with how it works.

Same here! But my PACT has been reliable for over 20 years! Still accurate and dependable. It is accurate and sensitive enough that I cant leave a fan on near it, as the air currents will effect the readings. Cant beat it!

pistolman44
09-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Wrench, Also thanks for the link it opened my eyes wide about digital scales. I guess I'll stick to the balance beam style that I have been using for 35 yrs. I sure don't want a 44 mag blowing up in my face because of over charging.

trixter
09-26-2012, 04:58 PM
I have a lee balance beam scale, and two digital, "no name" scales. The "no-name" digitals always match, but both differ from the Lee scale, So, I am inclined to believe them over the Lee scale. I may send it back to Lee to be re-calibrated. (I know that you can adjust the tare but, it shouldn't be off as much as it is).

Horace
09-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Use the Pact BBKII every day very pleased with it.

Horace

1bluehorse
09-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Read the article, interesting..I'm sure it's true and factual. Anybody got any "scientific" info on how "accurate" beam scales really are??? Worn edges, a little dust on the poise, not quite level, a nick or two on the poise weights, you get the picture. If you think beam scales are more accurate then by all means use them, but I figure if I turn on my electronic scale, zero it, put a 10 gr. check weight in the pan and it reads 10gr. or a combination of several check weights and it gives me the correct reading, then thats good enough for me....oh, but wait, how accurate are the check weights, are they "lab" tested, have they been MRI'ed to check for metal consistancy, are they certified by the internet and U-Tube Accurate Reloaders Association for finding fault with everthing??? if not you're risking your life by possibly getting a 1gr. overcharge. Get real. If your reloading techniques are that bad, take up golf...I haven't had my coffee yet...

Romeo 33 Delta
09-28-2012, 01:57 PM
I've used a PACT digital dispenser (built for RCBS) for years and find no fault with it. Fast, accurate, trouble-free.

1hole
09-28-2012, 08:13 PM
"Would like to know which Digital powder scale is reliable? "

Define "reliable". They are very inexpensive Chinese made 'throw-aways', no one bothers to repair them; if one fails under warrantee the seller tosses them and sends out a new one.

Those who have electronic scales that still work love 'em, others tend to feel differently and a LOT of digital users have gone back to beams for the long term reliability they offer. My beam scale reads exactly the same today as it did the day I took it out of the box in '65 and it's ready to go that much longer. I have a cheap digital I use for bullets and cases, not for powder.

R.Ph. 380
09-28-2012, 08:31 PM
I will use my Hornady Autocharge until I don't have electricity and then will go back to my RCBS 1010 because I know it is exact. I vewrify my Hornady with the RCBS and it's right on.

Bill

Saint
09-28-2012, 10:03 PM
One thing I will say about battery operated scales. It can really ruin a weekend if you find out your batteries are dead the night before you go shooting. Always have a backup beam scale.

pistolman44
09-29-2012, 12:45 AM
Went on Graf's web site and they had a MTM digital powder scale on sale for $26.95 + $5.95 $32.90 shipped. I bought this just for weighing my cast bullets. I figure it would be faster than a beam scale. It did have some good reviews.

farmallcrew
09-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Ive used my Ohas beam scale for years, when i gave my dad my reloading stuff so he could keep busy i bought him a digital scale (cant think of the name off hand, its in the basement). Now i have the reloading stuff back and was useing the scale. Its not battery its just plug into wall, so i dont have to worry about battery loss. It takes a while some times to get the tenth gr. to move when your trickling and alot of times goes over before it registers on screen. I keep the Ohas out on the bench to keep my loads true, and i have had a couple that were over grain on the digital but the screen said it was my load i was working on. I would use both as a fail safe.

45fisher
09-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Would like to know which Digital powder scale is reliable? Thinking of buying one but don't have any experience with one.

I've had a PACT scale for a 20+ years and it's still working. I only recently bought a SmartReloader powder dispenser...So far I have no issue with it...as a matter of fact I really like it. It was at a price I could not refuse.

Just as a test I have been weighing each load with the PACT and what came out of the SL. No issues they were equal. (I'm retired so got plenty of time.)

As a side note I don't load too max, so I would assume I would not approach the large errors that Wrench identified in his link. I could be wrong in the future...but I have never had problems with my 2 digital scales.

jcwit
09-29-2012, 12:24 PM
I've had a PACT scale for a 20+ years and it's still working. I only recently bought a SmartReloader powder dispenser...So far I have no issue with it...as a matter of fact I really like it. It was at a price I could not refuse.

Just as a test I have been weighing each load with the PACT and what came out of the SL. No issues they were equal. (I'm retired so got plenty of time.)

As a side note I don't load too max, so I would assume I would not approach the large errors that Wrench identified in his link. I could be wrong in the future...but I have never had problems with my 2 digital scales.

Take a look where you need to send the smartloader product if you ever need to use the factory warrenty. Just another piece of chinese junk.

Thanks for supporting the U.S. worker.