PDA

View Full Version : H&I Dies

alamogunr
09-24-2012, 05:46 PM
From time to time someone posts the question: What does H&I mean when referring to size dies. If it was answered, I guess I wasn't interested enough to remember the answer.

I was just going through the 1958 edition of Lyman's Handbook of Cast Bullets and found the answer on page 82.

In the illustration on that page, the "H" refers to the die body that actually sizes the boolet. The "I" refers to the part that ejects the sized/lubricated boolet. In case anyone is interested, the nose punch is designated as "G".

Another hole in my knowledge of cast boolets is filled. Still way too many. If you already knew this, feel free to ignore this post.

John Boy
09-24-2012, 07:38 PM
alamogunr - so far that's 2 of us that knew what H&I stands for. And I had to read the answer in the same Handbook also. Too bad you didn't start the thread as a Poll - would have made a good one ;)

gwpercle
09-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Does anyone know just why they are called "H" , "I' and "G' ? I'm thinking that bit of trivia is probably lost in the dim past, but if anyone knows why , they are out there and will post the answer.

I have never asked a question on this site and failed to get an answer. I'm refering to a correct answer...I know you guy's can come up with some real creative answer's , and those are fun.

gary

theperfessor
09-26-2012, 08:31 PM
They started labeling parts with A on the old Ideal luber and got to the dies, ejector pin and top punch when they got to the letters G H and I.

Lots of old machines had parts labeled alphabetically.

Bogone
01-14-2014, 03:48 PM
Now I know too....

alamogunr
01-14-2014, 07:58 PM
I found that information in either the 1st or 2nd edition of the Cast Bullet Handbook.