PDA

View Full Version : My alloy mistake

popper
09-24-2012, 03:36 PM
I casr a 10# pot of 401-165-TC. with 50/50 Pb and antimonial Pb, with shot and oven HT. Everything was fine. A week later I cast another pot, same formula. Still fine, no Sn and fine fillout for 311-165 as well (those shot great). But when loading the remaining of the first pot, ops, they grew. I checked the 2nd pot a week later, no growth. Hmm. A lot of reading and searching, viola. I didn't empty the pot the first time, ~ 1/2" 50/50 Pb/#2. So my 1st pot was 96.9/2.7/.29 Pb/Sb/Sn. .29% tin shouldn't have any effect. Wrong. Seems like that smidgeon of Sn acts a a seed for Sb crystal growth and make for a very strong structure, a grain refiner. Doesn't form SnSb (hypoeutectic). Alloy also had .07% As to do it's normal thing. Further reading indicates that Pb/Sn/Sb/As/S makes a very good and strong alloy. I had done this before and made good CBs (311-170) guessing at the ratios to use. More experiments to come. Thoughts and comments welcome.

runfiverun
09-24-2012, 05:26 PM
the arsenic in the lead shot was the grain refiner.

felix
09-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Nothing wrong with intentional mistakes. They are the mothers of an invention. Mistakes impress upon your mind what to look for later. The only mistake when doing a HOBBY is NOT taking notes and making labels with the notes attached ON the produce. That includes lubes, powder mixes, brass lots, et al. That has been my downfall for just about forever. Reason: I thought I would never forget. ... felix

largom
09-24-2012, 06:23 PM
No man ever became great except through many and great mistakes.

Larry

badgeredd
09-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Felix,

Me too!

Edd

popper
09-24-2012, 06:38 PM
the arsenic in the lead shot was the grain refiner The tin is also, in a different manner. the reason for my post - only difference in both batches is the tin. A lot of tin and you get the SbSn, a little and you get grain refining. I was aiming at COWW/Pb as is pretty standard, with As so I could HT if desired. Got a surprise. Not my invention, evidently this is well known to battery grid manufacturers. Yes I started labeling everything. A roll of painter tape and a sharpie.

runfiverun
09-25-2012, 12:05 AM
in a way it s i think that's how stuff like 40-1 works but in aslightly different way.
it allows the lead to slide over itself better within the casting
i am thinking that zinc works much the same way in a lead/zinc alloy.
i know that's how it works with copper/tin alloys.