Pop_No_Kick
07-17-2005, 01:42 AM
I Found This Info And it helped me Group the frame type's, So I'll Pass it on
Maybe to help some-one else like me that don't have the exp. to properly ID
pistol's

GOT anymore frame type's PLEASE add-on

Revolver Frame types

S & W

J frame is used mostly for 5-shot .38 special and .32's, with some in .22 LR. Many versions, mostly 2" bbl pocket pistols. Some aluminum.
K frame is the most common S&W, the old-standby police issue of days gone by. Mostly 4" .38 and .357, some .32 and .32-20,etc. Rare in aluminum.
L frame is fairly new (1980s) and is a heavier size for .357 guns that are shot a lot with heavy loads, also a .44 special. No aluminum.
N frame is the big .44 mag, .44 special, .45 Colt,.45 ACP and the big frame .357. Heavy duty, but not at strong as the Ruger Redhawk. No aluminum.
X frame .460 S&W mag, .500 S&W mag.
Colt:

P frame Single Action Army (cowboy gun)
G, K, and Q various models of the .22 LR in SAA style
F frame Blackpowder guns (this is a strange one, they call all of the guns an F frame even though there are some rather noticeable size differences)
D Frame Detective Special
E Frame Officer's Model Match, Official Police and Trooper (original version)
I Frame Python
J Frame Official Police Mk III, Trooper Mk III and V, King Cobra, various variants of these.
O Frame 1911 pattern Colt Automatic
S Frame Colt Woodsman .22 Auto (and various match grade versions of same)

Thanx's
Chuck

Frank46
07-17-2005, 04:12 AM
Chuck, you should have put this list out sooner. At the gun show, one dealer had redfield bases for the colt J frame or trooper size frame. Darn, darn, and darn. I saw them but did not know what colt called the trooper style frame. Frank

Pop_No_Kick
07-18-2005, 03:06 AM
Chuck, you should have put this list out sooner. At the gun show, one dealer had redfield bases for the colt J frame or trooper size frame. Darn, darn, and darn. I saw them but did not know what colt called the trooper style frame. Frank
Did ya Go back Sunday?

Also there is a set trigger screw adj. on that trooper!
all the Time's ive cleaned it and never noticed!

Thanx's Frank
Chuck

Frank46
07-20-2005, 04:18 AM
Chuck, no did not go back on sunday. Spent the day disassembling the 2A indian enfield in 7.62mm that I bought saturday. While the action shows a lot of usage, the bbl is almost excellent. Most of the others that I've seen the rifling is pretty well worn. You can actually see the bullet bearing surface on the lands worn down where the bullet touches. Will be on the lookout for that dealer with the scope mts next show. Bore took some time to cleanup but came out really nice. Frank

Pop_No_Kick
07-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Chuck, no did not go back on sunday. Spent the day disassembling the 2A indian enfield in 7.62mm that I bought saturday. While the action shows a lot of usage, the bbl is almost excellent. Most of the others that I've seen the rifling is pretty well worn. You can actually see the bullet bearing surface on the lands worn down where the bullet touches. Will be on the lookout for that dealer with the scope mts next show. Bore took some time to cleanup but came out really nice. Frank
Can't wait to see a range report on that there fire stick.
I got that guys bussiness card that had the scope rings.
I do believe he was out of lake charles.
When I locate it I'll scan and send to ya'.
Im purty sure u can get a good deal on them..
I have some small carbide tap & Dies and screw's
if you need em.

Frank46
07-23-2005, 05:11 AM
Chuck, thanks for the offer regarding the taps and dies, but I got that covered. Have to slug the indian enfield to see what I'm dealing with. And if you do have the dealer's
name and address would appreciate it very much. Found out last summer that I have cataracts (spelling??) and that was putting a crimp in my shooting rifles and wheel guns with iron sights. Matter of fact plan on doing some cast for my sako 75 in 30-06
Been spending way too much time being a couch potatoe lately. I located weigands website and they have a one piece weaver base for my ruger redhawk in 44 magnum. So will get one soon and have the gunsmith do the honors of drilling and tapping. I've had a simmons pistol scope for years new in the box so its about time it went to work.
Something to be said for younger eyeballs. frank

Char-Gar
07-23-2005, 10:11 PM
First I ever heard of a Colt "E" frame. I was under the impression that the Army Special, OP, OM Trooper, Officers Model, plus the .357 Magnum and the Python were all on the "I" frame. I am certain there are differences in metal and/or heat treating between the Magnum and non-magnum, but all the parts (internals, cylinders and barrels) will interchange if you are of a mind to so do. This frame was also called the "41" frame in bygone days.

My assumption is the Colt "E" is just an "I" with stronger steel and/or heat treating.

Pop_No_Kick
07-23-2005, 11:58 PM
First I ever heard of a Colt "E" frame. I was under the impression that the Army Special, OP, OM Trooper, Officers Model, plus the .357 Magnum and the Python were all on the "I" frame. I am certain there are differences in metal and/or heat treating between the Magnum and non-magnum, but all the parts (internals, cylinders and barrels) will interchange if you are of a mind to so do. This frame was also called the "41" frame in bygone days.

My assumption is the Colt "E" is just an "I" with stronger steel and/or heat treating.
Yes Charger, Ive Myself only referd the OP as a "41" frame
but iv'e been gett'n strange looks. So thats what warrented
the research, And I do believe the only diff. in "E" & "I"
Frames is the Tempering in the steel.
Something to Chew on...

Chuck

James Wisner
08-06-2005, 01:07 AM
COLT "E" frames have the firing pin on the hammer nose, this also includes the 38 SPL TROOPER

COLT "I" frames have a floating firing pin in the frame. The is the 357 calibers. This is the PYTHON and the 357 TROOPER

This is the only real change between the frames, all the internals are the same other wise, other than the Python frame is different for the vented rib barrel.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Char-Gar
08-07-2005, 06:09 PM
jim..That is a very nice bit of information to have. I knew the differences in how the firings pins worked, but didn't know Colt designate them as different frames.

Pop_No_Kick
08-12-2005, 03:11 AM
Updated 08/12/2005

I Found This Info And it helped me Group the frame type's, So I'll Pass it on

Maybe to help some-one else like me that don't have the exp. to properly ID
pistol's

GOT anymore frame type's PLEASE add-on

Revolver Frame types

S & W

J frame is used mostly for 5-shot .38 special and .32's, with some in .22 LR. Many versions, mostly 2" bbl pocket pistols. Some aluminum.
K frame is the most common S&W, the old-standby police issue of days gone by. Mostly 4" .38 and .357, some .32 and .32-20,etc. Rare in aluminum.
L frame is fairly new (1980s) and is a heavier size for .357 guns that are shot a lot with heavy loads, also a .44 special. No aluminum.
N frame is the big .44 mag, .44 special, .45 Colt,.45 ACP and the big frame .357. Heavy duty, but not at strong as the Ruger Redhawk. No aluminum.
X frame .460 S&W mag, .500 S&W mag.
Colt:

P frame Single Action Army (cowboy gun)
G, K, and Q various models of the .22 LR in SAA style
F frame Blackpowder guns (this is a strange one, they call all of the guns an F frame even though there are some rather noticeable size differences)
D Frame Detective Special
E Frame Officer's Model Match, Official Police and Trooper (original version)
COLT "E" frames have the firing pin on the hammer nose, this also includes the 38 SPL TROOPER.
This is the only real change between the frames, all the internals are the same other wise, other than the Python frame is different for the vented rib barrel.
I Frame Python , COLT "I" frames have a floating firing pin in the frame. This the 357 calibers. This is the PYTHON and the 357 TROOPER
J Frame Official Police Mk III, Trooper Mk III and V, King Cobra, various variants of these.
O Frame 1911 pattern Colt Automatic
S Frame Colt Woodsman .22 Auto (and various match grade versions of same)
Thanx's
Chuck

Pop_No_Kick
08-12-2005, 03:12 AM
COLT "E" frames have the firing pin on the hammer nose, this also includes the 38 SPL TROOPER

COLT "I" frames have a floating firing pin in the frame. The is the 357 calibers. This is the PYTHON and the 357 TROOPER

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Thanx's for the info James i included it in the list !!!

Chuck

rocklock
12-10-2005, 03:27 PM
S&W also has an I Frame - The early small frame Hand-Ejectors.

Interesting web site:

http://www.handloads.com/misc/Smith.Model.Changes.asp