PDA

View Full Version : First frost

Jim
09-24-2012, 07:25 AM
The weather report yesterday was predicting an overnight low in the middle 30s. I thought "That's nice, it'll be cool in the morning." I just happened to look out the back door and there's frost on my truck. I'm glad to see it.

Junior1942
09-24-2012, 07:57 AM
We have another month before average first frost here in north-central Louisiana. I'll be glad to see it. Hope I'm in my tent in the deep woods when it comes.

Freightman
09-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Our average is 10/20 but it had came as early as 9/21 but most of the time it is the last of October.

geargnasher
09-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Yeah, we're a WAY off from that yet, we just got back into the double digits last week!

Gear

Dean D.
09-24-2012, 09:59 AM
We had our first frost about 3 weeks ago. But our whole growing season has been strange anyway. A total of 60 days frost free sux.

JeffinNZ
09-24-2012, 06:17 PM
We are on the opposite side of the coin now. Getting lighter and warmer. Been a WET winter.

square butte
09-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Had ours this morning. Not too bad though. I believe the peppers and tomatos might make another week.

Marvin S
09-24-2012, 09:18 PM
We had some light patches in the river bottom Sunday morning.

Wis. Tom
09-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Frost the last two nights here in Wis., and the trees are turning. Seems early to me but as I get older, the winters also seem longer.

Thumbcocker
09-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Nothing sweeter to the ear than the little "plops" of frozen skeeters and chiggers hitting the ground. You guys can hear them too......right?

geargnasher
09-24-2012, 10:04 PM
Three years of virtually no rain and stupidly hot/long summers finally killed out most of the skeeters and chiggers here, as well as a bunch of the critters and things we'd like to keep around, like stream fish and trees. And that's in the parts that haven't yet burned to the ground. Tough few years here. The way things are going we might have brutal winter that will kill the rest of anything left that doesn't live indoors, I sure hope not though. It's bound to turn around soon (that usually means two years of record floods!)

Gear

DIRT Farmer
09-24-2012, 11:48 PM
Jim, the first frost sweetns the 'simmons and the coons start moving in, unless the possoms beat them to them.

Nothing pretter than a little wooly up a persimmon tree and a loud mouth pup under it.

wlc
09-25-2012, 03:56 AM
Has our first one nearly a month ago. Trees done turned and many leaves turned loose already.

429421Cowboy
09-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Hopefully the frost will kill the bugs that are spreading the hemmoragic disease to the deer...

Same here, we are all praying to the good Lord that we get a good hard frost to kill the little critters off. Found three dead deer this weekend bowhunting, a friend up river found five, the vet has warned us to be on the lookout for it. Scary stuff.

The garden is done and i am ready for the cooler weather to hit, hunting is a bit scary now with the heat. Haven't had a drop of moisture for over a month here, seems like half the state is on fire. Didn't use bug spray once this summer, too dry for skeeters this year. Last spring we got flooded outta our house for 6 months and had skeeters big enough to ride, this spring no rain, no bugs, no grass. We feel blessed to have gotten enough hay to actually have some to sell.

I have a feeling we are in for a rough winter, and hay is already up to $150 a ton. We'll keep praying for the folks west of us that have had failed hay crops or had everything burned up on them.
Here's hoping for a better fall!

MtGun44
09-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Sounds like NZ grabbed all KS's rain! Long haul ship it, too! ;-)

Driest summer in Kansas in at least 30 yrs. Finally getting some rain, and cooling
off.

Bill