PDA

View Full Version : Woo Hoo!!! Got a freebie!

Four Fingers of Death
09-24-2012, 06:24 AM
I was visiting with my friend who is a part time gun dealer. I helped him out by lending him some dies and a progressive press to get him out of trouble. While I was there,he showed me a 92 Winchester in 32/20 that had a damaged chamber. He said did I want it for parts. I told him to reline it and he would still make money on it.

I saw him again today and mentioned that I had a permit to buy a centrefire rifle. I had it in my hand at the time. He grabbed it and said that I was now the proud owner of a 92 Winchester.

I checked and can get a hammer forged liner fitted for way less than what a reasonable 92 would be worth but this will be a new tube!

I have original 92s in 25/20, 32/20 and 44/40. Making a 38/40 is a tempting option, from memory the stampings are barely visible. I will make a decision when I get ahold of it. I won't do any modifications to it if it can be restored to original condition.

With a rust blue and a lot of elbow grease this 92 will see another century out!

Pics will be posted in a few days.

Gotta get a win every now and then.

It is a half magazine one like most old Australian imports.

Jack Stanley
09-24-2012, 10:16 AM
It's hard to beat a deal like that ... even with a big stick !! Congrats to you sir :-D

Jack

Four Fingers of Death
09-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Thank you!

Hamish
09-24-2012, 11:32 AM
It pay's to be nice to folks!

swheeler
09-24-2012, 11:35 AM
You did good! Sometimes it pays to be a nice guy, and sounds like you got your pay:) have fun with it.

Four Fingers of Death
09-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Treat others as you would like to be treated. That was drummed into me all my life. Some people take advantage of that, but I don't mind, you get to know the people that you should distance yourself from that way.

shdwlkr
09-24-2012, 01:38 PM
four fingers

If you find that new 92 just isn't for you I can take it off your hands, ha ha

I have problems with the old ones and fair prices myself, can't seem to have enough of them really.

MtGun44
09-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Good for you! Being a nice guy paid off.

Now you have a fun project.

Bill

helice
09-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Ah the beauty of the M-92! I'm waitin on the pictures.

TXGunNut
09-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Sounds like the start of an adventure, keep us posted. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the old girl.

Artful
09-25-2012, 01:18 PM
What's the barrel supply like for old 92's down that way?
I used to know some gunsmiths - one had a 5 gallon bucket of used 1911 barrels - one had a 35 gallon bucket of take off rifle barrels some brand new!
- Would it be cheaper to pick up a used barrel in good condition than reline?

Four Fingers of Death
09-25-2012, 07:04 PM
possibly, I will also look at cutting the damaged chamber off and re-machining. I did't look at the bore when I looked at it briefly.

shdwlkr
09-25-2012, 08:14 PM
four fingers
My 92 started as just and action nothing else and it has taken me years to get all the parts to a gunsmith as my original one died and I moved. With some luck this November I will bring it home finished in a new caliber and ready to be used and enjoyed by me.
I made it into a 256 win mag as I have a 32-20 and didn't want to worry about mixing up the brass. I will most likely never fire any hot loads in it as that was not the intent from the beginning. I have a couple of molds that will be the main bullets fired out of this rifle.

I look forward to pictures and hearing what you ended up doing with your 92.

Four Fingers of Death
09-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Well I got the rifle today, it has the normal Winchester markings and is also marked 'New Daisy' It is a 32WCF. It has a 24" Octangular Barrel and crescent buttplate.

The chamber is damaged and the bore is totally black. There may be rifling under the crud, but I can't see any. It has buckhorn sights.

The wood appears to be in good shape.

When cycled the action appears to hang upa bit and needs a bit of a wiggle to get it to cycle.

I had guest arriving and only had time to have a quick look and snap a few pics on my phone.

It looks like a definite candidate for a re-sleeve. The barrel is a bit knocked around and would need cleaning up with a draw file, but this would damage the markings which are very faint.

The serial number was not visible and a replacement serial number has been issued (but not engraved). When I get a bit of time next week, I will try and see if the number is visible with a magnifying glass, but I don't hold much hope.

I will also ring around to see if there are any take off barrels available.

It was given to me for parts but I fancy bringing this one back to life.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Leverguns/NewDaisyWinchester9232-20.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Leverguns/NewDaisyWinchester9232-204.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Leverguns/NewDaisyWinchester9232-203.jpg

x101airborne
09-28-2012, 08:06 AM
I like the looks of the old girl. I would reline the barrel and leave everything else. Maybe rub the wood a bit to brighten it or make it look shiny-er where the hands grip the rifle. I like the "old warhorse" look. Those rifles are SO much fun to shoot and to carry. I have even killed a deer and a hog with an old BP only Winchester 32-40 of my dad's. 200 grain cast FP's and a 35 grain charge of FFG. When I took pics, I think I photographed the rifle more than the animals.

Four Fingers of Death
09-28-2012, 08:45 AM
I think that is the best option. The wood is in surprisingly good condition, just needs the varnish stripped and the oil and sweat stains eased out and the stock re treated with good oil. I could rust blue the metal, but I will clean it up and get rid of the accumulated crud on the metalwork and see what it looks like before I venture any further.

LtFrankDrebbin
09-29-2012, 06:31 AM
Well done mate, please keep us updated on this one. Luv them 92's!

TXGunNut
09-29-2012, 02:59 PM
I agree. A sleeve and a good scrubbing should yield a good shooter with all her character intact. I like it, keep those reports and pics coming.

Four Fingers of Death
10-11-2012, 09:48 PM
my Mate heard that I was looking for a 32/20 barrel and ring me. He bought a CBC break action single shot 32/20 to use as a donor barrel for a 92, but never got around to it. I got it dirt cheap, but I will be reluctant to cut it up because it shoots like a dream (he won a pistol calibre single shot long range shoot with it recently ). He only normally own old guns and wanted to get rid of it.

Four Fingers of Death
10-12-2012, 04:03 AM
It looks like someone has done a rough rechamber to 310 Cadet which was reasonable popuar here as 32/20 ammo was apparently not readily available in the 60s and 70s.

Here are a few pics;

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Reloading%20and%20Casting/32-20roughrechamberto310Cadet4.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Reloading%20and%20Casting/32-20roughrechamberto310Cadet2.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Reloading%20and%20Casting/32-20roughrechamberto310Cadet.jpg