PDA

View Full Version : Range lead

Ramslammer
09-24-2012, 03:59 AM
G'Day All
Well we picked up 1600 KG (2.25 lbto the KG)of range lead last week. Nearly all Jacketed but smashed from hitting the steel backers. Here's the question "What is the core hardness if any?".
Juddy

evan price
09-24-2012, 06:08 AM
Nearly soft lead, about 6 bhn if it's all factory FMJs. My range lead has a good bit of cast bullets and stuff mixed in and runs about 8-10 depending on how much cast I find.

runfiverun
09-24-2012, 05:30 PM
yep jaxketed is usually soft anywhere from 0-3% antimony.
pistol stuff is generally at the 0 end.

Philngruvy
09-25-2012, 09:06 AM
great score, remember, you can sell the jackets to the scrappers for good $$$

Freightman
09-28-2012, 06:17 PM
great score, remember, you can sell the jackets to the scrappers for good $$$
Wish I could they will not take it here, called one he said he would give me $0.10 per # I said there is a hole in the alley I will fill first. I have 1/2 of a 32 gal barrel full, can't make myself throw it away.

evan price
09-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Freightman I buy jackets!

I'll Make Mine
09-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Wish I could they will not take it here, called one he said he would give me $0.10 per # I said there is a hole in the alley I will fill first. I have 1/2 of a 32 gal barrel full, can't make myself throw it away.

If you have a hot enough furnace and a pot that will take orange temperatures without softening (too much), you can melt those jackets into ingots and sell them as "gilding metal" or "95/5 brass" (or add an equal amount of pure copper -- from electrical wiring, for instance -- and call it "#2 brass"). Half a small barrel should give you ten or so one pound ingots, which should fetch several dollars each in that form.

Freightman
09-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Evan I have your address and just haven't had time to box an ship it, hope this winter.I have thought about hooking up something to melt the jackets but time and energy are in short supply, think I am getting old Hope Not.

40Super
09-29-2012, 07:32 PM
I put all my jackets in a pail with Lemonshine or even Lemonade Kool-aid (also works great in cleaning up rust spots in a dishwasher). I let them sit.stir,sit ,stir ect maybe a day or 2 depending on how crumby they are or how strong the citric solution is. It cleans them up and my recycler likes them because it is clear to him that it is all copper. The solution turns them often to a nice deep copper, sometimes bright copper .Gets rid of green corrosion also.

canyon-ghost
09-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Don't forget about the risk of water in jackets when you melt them. Heard that puts lead splatters out.

Good Luck,
Ron

40Super
09-29-2012, 08:25 PM
I clean them AFTER smelting, wouldn't make much of a point to do it before.;)

Jim
09-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Don't forget about the risk of water in jackets when you melt them. Heard that puts lead splatters out.

Good Luck,
Ron

Start with a cold pot and the heat will evaporate all the moisture before the lead melts. When it all melts, cast all that is in the pot without adding any more. Don't start another pot until the left over lead in the bottom solidifies. I processed a little over 8,000 lbs like that and never had a problem.

Oreo
09-29-2012, 08:59 PM
I did a batch of 200lbs a week or so ago and found that dripping wet bermine ore can be carefully, gently added to a half pot of molten lead IF there's an inch of berm dirt on top of the molten. Its enough to keep the wet ore from submerging in the melt. This saves a lot of time but full ppe should be worn just in case.

shotman
09-29-2012, 10:06 PM
run magnet over them or scraper wont take any more from you

zomby woof
09-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Also watch out for loaded rounds in the mix.

I'll Make Mine
09-30-2012, 09:46 AM
run magnet over them or scraper wont take any more from you

Another reason to smelt the jackets into ingots before taking them to the scrapper -- steel jackets won't melt at temperatures suitable for gilding metal; they'll float, like wheel weight clips in a lead pot.