PDA

View Full Version : front sight inserts

hiram
09-24-2012, 01:41 AM
I have a Lyman 17A on my roller. I have the Lyman apertures and a set of Ron Snover apertures.

Other than aperture sizes being different, can someone pinpoint the differences between these two sets?

I was shooting with a Snover insert. The rear sight was a good size for me -- no 'hairs' showing up while looking , BUT, a new experience> The front sight appeared oval-egg shaped. I never saw this before. Any ideas?

Thanks

Boz330
09-24-2012, 02:34 PM
The only thing that I can come up with is that if the distance you were shooting was very far, the angle from rear sight to front sight would give that impression. The drop on the roller tang and stock is pretty severe.

Bob

Dragoon 45
09-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Not sure if it was Snover, but someone was making front inserts for the 17A that were supposed to be cut out in the shape of the silhouettes. Those would appear to be oval if you were not aware what they were.

I have a Lyman 17A on my roller. I have the Lyman apertures and a set of Ron Snover apertures.

Other than aperture sizes being different, can someone pinpoint the differences between these two sets?

I was shooting with a Snover insert. The rear sight was a good size for me -- no 'hairs' showing up while looking , BUT, a new experience> The front sight appeared oval-egg shaped. I never saw this before. Any ideas?

Thanks

Bent Ramrod
09-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Could you possibly have not screwed the insert holder all the way in? Sometimes the insert can hang up on thread burrs along the locating slots and stop the holder from screwing all the way home. Then after a few shots, the insert loosens up and tilts a little.

Don't ask me how I know this:-(.

hiram
09-24-2012, 08:53 PM
I am glad I joined this forum. I checked the insert. It was slanted on an angle and when the insert holder was screwed in and stopped, I thought all was well and I was done. Now it is straight as it should be.

I bought two cards of Snover inserts, used one. The inserts have a round silhouette, not ovaled like an animal.

Again, thanks for the help.

Boz330
09-25-2012, 08:17 AM
Not sure if it was Snover, but someone was making front inserts for the 17A that were supposed to be cut out in the shape of the silhouettes. Those would appear to be oval if you were not aware what they were.

Lee Shaver makes those, Brownells carries them.

Bob

bigted
09-25-2012, 02:23 PM
dont know why but i got excited with the title of this thread...i have been looking for a front site for my ruger #1. i have the bead but really want a high blade insert for it that i can file down for sighting in with the rear sight with the small insert removed for a big U for the rear.

anyway can anybody help me in finding one of these or am i regulated to making one with a file and elbo greese?

hiram
09-25-2012, 03:34 PM
do a search for a 'beech' sight.

They look sharp and have 3 aiming points.

bigted
09-25-2012, 06:35 PM
hiram...have a beech i bought for my sharps...it is a full dovetail and i need one that fits the ruger lengthwise dovetail that is maybe 3/16ths or so...post n bead complete unit is probably 3/4 inch long or maybe 7/8ths. different for sure. thanks for the suggestion tho.