PDA

View Full Version : Rooster Red Lube (Soild Stick)

Kskybroom
09-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Got 14 sticks in a trade. Has a Z on the end of the box.
I take it is zambini ? Is that for pistol or rifle or both ?
Should i save this for making a diff lube ?
Or try an trade it for some White Lable BAC?
Ken
(Sold to Fryboy)

bobthenailer
09-24-2012, 12:38 PM
That Z lube is hard and requires a higher temp to flow than any hard lube ive tried ! i used alot 20 sum years ago for various pistol calibers with no problems, but decided to use the newer hard lubes such as LBT commercial , magnma , thompson , carnubia red all hard lubes that require a heater for the lube sizer.
I had a accurate load worked up for a SS pistol with Zambine red ,I swithced to LBT commercial and got the same accuracy at 100 yards but the velocity was approx 63 fps less with the LBT lube, as it lubed better, therefor created less pressure than the Zambine
the ammo was loaded at the same time with only bullet lube being switched , same lot of brass, powder & primers and crimp.
I would probley try mixing only 1 stick 50/50 with a softer lube & try it out, it my work fine !

fryboy
09-24-2012, 03:47 PM
you're correct , the z is for zambini , while granted it's not their HVR which was intended for rifles it does work in rifles within reason
bob is also correct that it needs a heater , i like it ( not as much as i liked their old HVR but .... ) i have no BAC or i'd offer to trade you for some ( i do have an assortment of home made lubes if you want to trade and perhaps 2 sticks of lyman's moly lube as well as several sticks of pioneer lube )
i've never tried making/mixing other lubes with it and i'm not sure how it'd react with various ingredients ( sometimes it matters ) my personal opinion is as far as so called crayon lubes go it's one of the better ones , works great at either end of the spectrum and fair in the middle and i'd suggest that it'd do better for you as a summer time lube vs. a winter time one ( alot of the above is/has variables beyond my control , namely your loading habits and requirements so as always your mileage may vary erm YMMV ;) )

Kskybroom
10-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Id trade somebody for 3lb of BAC.
Can ship it to me from LsStuff
Ill never use it somebody will .

fryboy
10-05-2012, 10:23 AM
ummm pm inbound ...

KYCaster
10-05-2012, 08:22 PM
It's been 20 years or so since I used Rooster Zambini. I don't know if it's the same formula now or if it's been changed, but I found it to have a very narrow "plastic" temp. range. In my Star sizers with heated base it went from ideal temp to runny liquid every time the heater cycled on/off.

I also had 300 45ACP rounds ruined when I left them in the cab of the truck on a hot summer day. The Zambini melted and contaminated the powder. I also had the same thing happen with a box of 500 lubed boolits in the trunk of a car....glob of boolits stuck together. I haven't had that happen with Thompson's Blue Angel or White Label CR, but I learned my lesson with the Zambini and try to avoid that situation now.

As always, YMMV. It might work OK for you.

Jerry

leftiye
10-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Put a light dimmer switch in the line to the heater. Its a variable resistor and will limit the amps to the heating coil. If it's the heating coil getting to hot this will help/solve the problem. If it is just that your temp control sucks, too bad. (sorry)

smith52
10-10-2012, 10:56 AM
I have been using Rooster Zambini for several years on all my pistol boolits and it has worked great for me.

Scout800a
10-18-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm happy to trade for your zambini, I'll order the BAC or carnuba red right now.