PDA

View Full Version : Forster Case Trimmer

WarEagleEd
09-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Anybody here use a Forster case trimmer?

If so, in the instructions it says to grease the collet "front face, tapered portion and base." What grease is good to use? I have white lithium grease and wheel bearing grease on hand. I would think these would work, what do y'all think?

TIA,

Ed

Pepe Ray
09-23-2012, 11:55 PM
WEEd;
My Forster is over 40 YO and the instructions are misplaced. HOWEVER--
The WB grease will work OK. The error I see in the instruction deal w/ the front flats which are your measureing faces. If you lube them you will have varying errors in trim length.
Lubr the parts that rotate but NOT the parts that meet in a direct thrusting contact.
This common error has given the Forster a bad rep to the Bench Rest fuss budgets.
Those that haven't figured it out, that is.
Pepe Ray

NVcurmudgeon
09-24-2012, 05:55 PM
..."grease the collet"? I had to read that over several times before understanding it. I use a light gun oil on the rotating shaft and nothing else, as it's the only moving part. My Forster is more than fifty years old and still works like a champ. I soon replaced the original aluminum handle with a home made hardwood one because I didn't like being aluminized. (Jack Haley, the tinman of OZ in the 1939 movie died from being painted with aluminum paint.) The "Bench Rest fussbudgets" that Pepe Ray mentioned may be shoving too hard on the handle and flexing the base when trimming. In most handloading operations "easy does it"
promotes uniformity.

WarEagleEd
09-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I didn't think about the grease on the "face" of the collet affecting trim length. I'll avoid putting it there.

Also, a PDF of the instructions for the case trimmer can be found on Forster's website, here (http://www.forsterproducts.com/client_images/catalog19938/pages/files/Original_Classic_Case_Trimmer_Instructions.pdf).

Ed

Recluse
09-25-2012, 08:15 PM
..."grease the collet"? I had to read that over several times before understanding it. I use a light gun oil on the rotating shaft and nothing else, as it's the only moving part. My Forster is more than fifty years old and still works like a champ. I soon replaced the original aluminum handle with a home made hardwood one because I didn't like being aluminized. (Jack Haley, the tinman of OZ in the 1939 movie died from being painted with aluminum paint.) The "Bench Rest fussbudgets" that Pepe Ray mentioned may be shoving too hard on the handle and flexing the base when trimming. In most handloading operations "easy does it"
promotes uniformity.

Agree. In fact, I use very very little lubricant on mine--that's all it needs.

:coffee:

Saint
09-25-2012, 08:40 PM
I love my Forster. A little light gun oil has worked great for mine. I am not all that concerned about uniformity to a BR extent and I like the smoothness of a little light oil on the face that the trim length adjustment screw rides on. To each his own.