PDA

View Full Version : Is it real or is my leg being pulled??

azrednek
09-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Sorry don't have a picture yet as the ol'guy (he's 76 or 77) is a bit slow on computers or as he says. "These new fangled gizmos". Says he wants the mold for a, I'll call this one a bullet. From his description by phone it is a 38/357 double end wad-cutter with a gas check on both ends. He found it laying on the ground at an outdoor range.

Does or has such a thing existed?? Guess a custom mold maker could build it, how ever though I wonder why and what the purpose the gas check on the nose serves??

I'll call it a "Blammer Special"!! As a way of doubling Blammers sales he should post here that everybody needs one or two and start a group buy.

1874Sharps
09-23-2012, 09:05 PM
I have seen double-ended wadcutters and molds for them, but I have never heard of GCs being used on them. Wadcutters are used for target purposes and modest velocities and do not therefore require a GC. These wadcutters (or the mold for them) may appear to have a GC shank, but I have never heard of or seen such a thing.

I'll Make Mine
09-24-2012, 07:11 PM
No reason one couldn't seat plain base type gas checks on both ends of a double-ender -- the obvious advantage here would be the ability to feed the bullets into a progressive or automatic loader without regard to orientation, and have an effective gas check whichever way they land.

Whether there's any reason to use a gas check with a full wadcutter is another question; as noted above, they're not normally loaded hot because they lose a lot of accuracy (a flat nose and supersonic speed don't mix well), but if you *could* load a WC at high velocity (and actually hit anything), it'd make a fine small game or defense round because of the flat nose. Redneck, did you ask him if he's having leading problems with wadcutters (which would indicate he needs a bigger boolit, not a gas check)?

runfiverun
09-24-2012, 11:08 PM
wadcutters are pretty much done accuracy wise, by the time you need a gas check.
it might provide more penetration however.
but then so would plated ones,or a truncated cone,or a round nose.

azrednek
09-25-2012, 01:31 AM
Redneck, did you ask him if he's having leading problems with wadcutters (which would indicate he needs a bigger boolit, not a gas check)?

I didn't ask him. I'm reasonably sure there is no unusual leading problems. He usually uses commercial cast. He lives near Dillon's in Scottsdale and most likely uses whatever it is they sell. It has been a few years but every now and then if he brings me some lead. I'll cast up a bunch of Lee TL 148gr DEWC's for him. He has an infatuation with gas checked Lyman 38156's. Being that my 38156 mold is a single cavity. I can't recall casting up more than a hundred for him.

The odd gas checked DEWC bullet he picked up off of the ground at an outdoor range. He said he'd save it for me. If he can get his daughter or SIL to send me a picture I'll post it. Being that it has likely been a few to several years since he bought any gas checks. Once he sees the price I'm certain he will quickly lose interest in sending two gas checks downrange with every shot.

The ol'guy in his mid-70's, despite his age is a real crack shot with his older S&W models 15 and a 38/44. He also has some early 50's S&W 357 and a 32 S&W. I haven't seen either one yet and am not sure of the models.

There is a good possibility it is something he simply cooked up in his mind. He can easily spend hours on the phone talking guns, reloading, hunting stories etc. There is a possibility he was just looking for a reason to call and make conversation.

Finarfin
09-30-2012, 11:37 PM
I would think that it was simply an accident. Someone lubed and gas checked the bullet twice, once on the wrong end. It got loaded and shot.

DukeInFlorida
10-01-2012, 09:39 AM
I suppose you could get one of PatMarlins plain base check deals, and put a gas check on both ends of a 38 special............ Not sure why you'd wanna do that, but it's possible.