PDA

View Full Version : Tang sight for Win 1894

historicfirearms
09-23-2012, 03:02 PM
I am thinking about buying a tang sight for my 1937 vintage Winchester 94 carbine. I like the marbles sight, mainly because I am from Michigan. The Lyman looks like a good sight too. I can buy either sight new, but wonder if the quality of the older ones are worth the extra cost they are going for on the auction sites. My rifle is in great shape so a new production sight wouldn't look out of place but I do want a good quality sight.

blackhawk44
09-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Twelve years ago, when searching for a rear sight for a new Browning 1895, I inspected both the Lyman and the Marbles. I bought the Marbles for better quality of machining and finish and adjustable windage. I have never found reason to regret the decision.

OverMax
09-23-2012, 03:57 PM
I like to 2nd the Marbles also. If you intend on it being a shooter. historicfirearms you got to check out a Marbles front sight with a ivory bead. Would be great for those low light conditions over there in Michigan's late afternoons. (evening hunt periods) I have an Ivory on my 94 and have never been disappointed with it. No tang peep sight for period acceptance here. But I do have a Williams rear peep on mine.

Guesser
09-23-2012, 06:19 PM
I have a Lyman, it works, but getting the windage set is a painful process, you have to shim under the sight base on which ever side needs to be adjusted. Took quite a number of tries to get it right, shim stock of various thicknesses cut in very slim slivers to fit under the side of the base. The Marbles is a good bet, if only for that reason.

Marvin S
09-23-2012, 07:07 PM
You might also look at Columbia percision tang sights. I just got a used one and workmanship appears excellent, like full depth knurling.

missionary5155
09-24-2012, 06:38 AM
Greetings
Get the Marble. That windage will be a real aid as you work up loads. If you want one to look old soak it in vinageer checking the finish off and on for your desired look.
Mike in ILL