PDA

View Full Version : Lyman M-Expansion Die Rocks!

Jeff82
09-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Based on recommendations from posters I purchased a Lyman M-die for my 0.357 reloading. What a fabulous die! It's a significant improvement over my Lee expansion die.

Romeo 33 Delta
09-23-2012, 02:28 PM
While I'm a big champion of Lee in general, I do agree that Lyman's "M" die is without question, the FINEST NECK EXPANSION DIE EVER CREATED. I have replaced almost all of my other expansion dies (Lee, CH4D, RCBS, HORNADY, REDDING) with "M" dies. They are particularly effective when dealing with bullets which tend to be "short" for their diameter ... or others which just tend to not go into the case perfectly straight. That little bit of a "ledge" the the second diameter creates gets the bullet to sit straight. Glad you discovered just how good they are!

geargnasher
09-23-2012, 03:01 PM
That "little bit of ledge" they leave is their downfall, too. There are better tools. Lee's so-called "expanders" and seating dies are the worst ever, and I generally find Lee's stuff to be good-to-excellent also. If you use a spud that expands to the proper diameter, the proper taper, and the proper hint of bellmouth for the exact boolit size you're using, there is not need for that goofy "step" to start the boolits straight. Using a decent seating die with fixed internals also helps seat the boolits straight.

Gear

Char-Gar
09-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Based on recommendations from posters I purchased a Lyman M-die for my 0.357 reloading. What a fabulous die! It's a significant improvement over my Lee expansion die.

Glad you are happy. There are many of us who share your enthusiasm for the M-die.

09-23-2012, 05:40 PM
See, we told you that you'd like it.

While I was waiting for a Buckshot custom M-die plug to arrive, I had occasion to use the Lee universal flaring die. It did nothing more than reaffirm all the reasons why I'm a fan of the M-die, and will continue to recommend its use to all who inquire.

BillP
09-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Yep, the multiexpand die is standard in their die sets and is one (but not the only) reason why I prefer Lyman sets. Pay more and get more...

bp

r1kk1
09-23-2012, 09:52 PM
CH4D makes both M-die and tapered expanding style also. Great for necking brass up. They also carry a large assortment of die bodies and plugs that Lyman doesn't carry or make. I'm not knocking Lyman as I like their stuff too.

Take care
r1kk1

Rory McCanuck
09-23-2012, 10:22 PM
I just got my first set of Lyman dies for 444, and I'm pretty impressed with the M die too.
Very nice.

spfd1903
09-24-2012, 01:21 AM
I loaded 10 rounds of M1 Carbine ( 115 gr. LRN) with an M-die and 10 rounds using the expander/ powder stage on a Dillon 550B. The group at 50 yds. from the Dillon was great, the group from the M- die was appreciably better.

Philngruvy
09-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Does anyone use the "M" die for 9mm? Please share your experience .

Rick N Bama
09-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Does anyone use the "M" die for 9mm? Please share your experience .

I use a Lyman "Universal" expander die for 9MM with the 38AP plug installed. Works fine for me.

Rick

ROCKET
09-25-2012, 11:36 PM
Anyone uses the Lyman Multi-Expander Powder Charge Die ? I was thinking about purchasing one and I wanted to make sure it's the same as the m die except the set comes with the universal powder drop tube.

Any close up pictures would be appreciated.

Wal'
09-26-2012, 02:59 AM
I use a Lyman "Universal" expander die for 9MM with the 38AP plug installed. Works fine for me.

Rick

Or if you have a 9mm that slugs larger .357 as my Browning GP does I use the .38P expander plug.

Works for me. :castmine:

captain awesome
09-26-2012, 02:56 PM
I also am a fan of the "M" dies, and it seems that other MFG's have followed suit, and now Redding and RCBS sometimes include something similar in their sets.(I have opened boxes in stores solely to find out what they use before purchasing an unknown product.)

Anyone uses the Lyman Multi-Expander Powder Charge Die ? I was thinking about purchasing one and I wanted to make sure it's the same as the m die except the set comes with the universal powder drop tube.

I took the leap to find out, hoping to find a way to use them with a case activated powder drop, which didn't work out the way I wanted, but I did find out that the expander tubes are indeed the same as the M die plugs, only they are hollow.

ROCKET
09-26-2012, 03:19 PM
I took the leap to find out, hoping to find a way to use them with a case activated powder drop, which didn't work out the way I wanted, but I did find out that the expander tubes are indeed the same as the M die plugs, only they are hollow.

Did you try it on the Lee turret or Dillon ? I can always screw in my Lyman 55 on top of the day on my turret and do it manually...

captain awesome
09-27-2012, 05:03 PM
On my Dillon and Hornady. I don't remember the specific problems it had that made it not work with them, but I am not using it with the powder measures so It must have been something of a pain in the butt to alter or fix to the point where I didn't want to mess with it or spend the money....

.22-10-45
09-27-2012, 10:16 PM
I too am a fan of Lyman M dies..been using them for years..from .22 thru .45...geargnasher is right about that ledge. I had a grinder friend taper grind step to around 1 1/2deg. angle..blending into smaller dia. Now you can barely see "bell"..but a bullet can be partially started..much easier on case life. Now I know most folks don't have access to O.D. grinders..but chucked up in drill-press, or handrill with stones & emory paper would probably go far in improvement.

1hole
09-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Not only is Lyman's two-step expander plug design the best ever (for both cast and jacketed, pistol and rifle). As the Captain notes, it is so good that Redding's pistol and RCBS' Cowboy dies copied it after Lyman's patent protection expired.