PDA

View Full Version : More grouse

sixshot
09-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Today was another beautiful fall day here in Idaho & the grouse were out again in full force. The grandson's were tired after their football game so me & Callshot loaded up again with our 32 maggies & hit the trail.
After building up the front sight a bit with JB weld I had it shooting right on the money. The first chicken was a Ruff grouse & I hit him & he started running right down the trail towards me, he couldn't fly but I think his daddy was a Roadrunner because he could really run, he cut up the hill above me & I took off after him but without my Crocs I had no chance, he got away.
Because the trails are so dusty you can't stay close together on the 4 wheelers, Callshot had to stay back a ways. On the next stop their were 4 Blue grouse together, dusting in the road. Steve came up beside me & we went to work, I got 2 of them & the others got away.
easing on up the road I got another one, this one was a young Ruff, so now I have 3 of my 4 bird limit.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/6shot_01/100_3455_zpsc6ccdb5f.jpg
These are nice young birds, they will be great in the dutch oven today.
I decided that Callshot needed to be up front so he could start whacking some, he took off & hadn't went 50 yds when I spotted 2 more Blue grouse picking berries in the shadows, I got one of them, now I'm full up, 4 birds.
Steve got shots at 3 of them but didn't connect, he will next time, I won't shoot until he scores.
Beautiful fall colors on these mountain maples.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/6shot_01/100_3457_zpsc707f369.jpg
This is my 4 bird limit with the 32 maggie, the little 100 gr cast is great on grouse with 3 grs of WST, I've said before, you can eat the bullet hole.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/6shot_01/100_3456_zps7356b284.jpg

Dick

DanWalker
09-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Congrats sir! I love to small game hunt with my handguns. Looks like you have the makings of a mighty fine grouse feast.

fivegunner
09-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Boy, you sure do a good job with the 32mag nice pictures too! here in Michigan we can`t shoot birds with anything but a shotgun . congrat`s on your hunt.:Fire::cbpour:

wcp4570
09-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Sixshot
You bring back some of my most memorable times hunting in Colorado. Those blue grouse could get me so side tracked while big game hunting and I would always yield to the temptation. I was stationed in Denver for 6 years in the Air Force and loved every minute of my time there. Always thought I would retire there but it never worked out. Beautiful country you live in.

wcp

runfiverun
09-23-2012, 07:21 PM
just about went this morning too, but decided to go up fishing instead.
looks like either one was a good choice, i caught over 15 and several were 3 lbs or more.
runfiveswife caught several but kept having problems getting them on shore.
she lost a real big one when it went on about a 50 yd run and just plain broke her 4 lb leader.
i wasn't upset [she was] but it had one of my floaters in it's mouth still.

Wolfer
09-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Sixshot
I leave for Colo. the 17th of next month on our annual Elk hunting trip. I always pick up a small game license just because of the grouse. In the past I've always used my 45 colt with the lee 452-255 RF @ 1000 fps. Oddly enough it usually just pokes a 45 cal hole and you can eat right up to the hole.
I have a ruger birds head 32 mag that I shoot the 311008 @ just under 800 fps. This is as fast as I could push it and still shoot it without earplugs. On the plus side it shoots exactly to the fixed sights and is extremely accurate.
You've got me thinking I might give it a try this year. They are some excellent eating!

Kskybroom
09-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Nice Shootin...

Adam10mm
09-24-2012, 01:12 AM
here in Michigan we can`t shoot birds with anything but a shotgun
Sure about that? Reading the regs and talking with the warden that patrols up here (Keweenaw), the only birds mandated to use a shotgun are migratory (waterfowl and woodcock) and turkey. There no law or regulation mandating a shotgun on any other bird.

Adam10mm
09-24-2012, 01:13 AM
Sixshot, reading these grouse threads makes me wish I never sold my .32s, though they were SP101s.

ovendoctor
09-24-2012, 07:43 AM
Sure about that? Reading the regs and talking with the warden that patrols up here (Keweenaw), the only birds mandated to use a shotgun are migratory (waterfowl and woodcock) and turkey. There no law or regulation mandating a shotgun on any other bird.

but ya do have to get out of the truck :groner:

LOL

Doc.

very nice birds and good shooting too

Thumbcocker
09-24-2012, 09:32 PM
You are about to cause a .32 magnum craving to come over me. I already have tactical crocs.

Ramjet-SS
09-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Wolf I was chuckling reading your post the exact same way for me small,game side tracked elk hunting cause of them darn grouse. What is interesting here in Wisc the rough grouse do not sit like the grouse out west. Darn thing lull you into side tracking your hunt I think them and the Elk gotta deal going!

Love the 32 H&R mine is K frame model 16-4.

runfiverun
09-25-2012, 11:28 AM
that's when you need a good dog.
something with some chessapeake in it, that just barges through brush face first to see what's on the other side.

Idaho Mule
09-29-2012, 12:43 AM
silly chickens, they sure are fun

Watts124
10-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Sixshot
Wolfer here on watts124s I-pad. Took my first grouse with the ruger birds head 32 mag. Worked very well on this one. Doesn't put em down with the authority of my 45 colt but down nevertheless and with a lot less mess. Of course one grouse shot at the butt of the wing doesn't tell a story.
I guess I'll be forced to try it out on some more just so I can form my own opinion LOL

shtur
10-25-2012, 12:41 AM
Those are very nice sized Blues, or are they Dusky or Sooty Grouse?? You know the biologist spent a lot of time and tax dollars renaming them a couple years ago.

sixshot
10-25-2012, 11:44 AM
They are Dusky's, although some of these could be called Husky's!

Dick

runfiverun
10-25-2012, 05:42 PM
there was tons of the dusky's this year i got a few rough [forest] and a couple of blues in the 5-6 lb range.
some were bigger than the few pheasants i have managed to scratch up so far.