PDA

View Full Version : venture into .22 molds

tom barthel
05-25-2007, 04:37 PM
I've been thinking of getting a lyman mold #225415. Don't need it, just want one. Midway prices seem to be the lowest at $49.99 for a 2 cavity and $74.99 for a 4 cavity. I'll also need to get a lee push through sizer and a bunch of checks. Help!! Someone convince me I need to do this. If I give in and make the plunge, I'll need some loading data for .223. I have wc 820, imr 3031 and imr 4895. I also have about half a can of unique.:???: :???:

Scrounger
05-25-2007, 07:36 PM
I've been thinking of getting a lyman mold #225415. Don't need it, just want one. Midway prices seem to be the lowest at $49.99 for a 2 cavity and $74.99 for a 4 cavity. I'll also need to get a lee push through sizer and a bunch of checks. Help!! Someone convince me I need to do this. If I give in and make the plunge, I'll need some loading data for .223. I have wc 820, imr 3031 and imr 4895. I also have about half a can of unique.:???: :???:

I might have an extra .224 Lee Sizer out in the garage, I'll check.

rhead
05-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Midsouth has the Lee Bator 22 cal also. A lower priced alterna tive. Mine shoots finein my Hornet. It is a RNFP.

Bret4207
05-26-2007, 07:16 AM
Considering the price, I might be inclined to get the 4 banger. I say that with reservations since the smaller the booilt, the bigger the issues it seems. With the smaller moulds I've worked with , all 25's, I find I need to get the mould pre heated and if it gets hot enough to start casting really well, I often get frosty boolits. Doesn't bother me, but YMMV. A really, really good cleaning of the mould is mandatory too. The BruceB spped casting method would seem like a good way to cast for the smaller dia. designs.

Powderpacker
05-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Tom -
I have that Lyman mold, the Bator, and the RCBS 55 gr. mold - all 2 cavity. They are all very easy to use and produce very nice looking boolits - - getting the boolits to shoot well is another story . I have found Midsouth's prices on molds to be consistently better than Midway's .
Ted

HORNET
05-26-2007, 10:15 AM
No,no,no,no.. Do not start messing with them itty-bitty cast .22's. That way only lies frustration and madness. You'll end up trying every trick in the book (and some that got thrown out) trying to get really good groups and fix that flyer that always blows your 100 yd group from 1/2 inch to 1/2 foot.:groner: :veryconfu
You have been warned:bigsmyl2:
That said, I was getting reasonably results around 13 gr of 3031 with another harmonic picking up at 14.5, but not as good - 12" twist Rem 788, wsp primer ( absolutely filthy but real good 50 yd groups). IIRC, Bullshop JR was bragging up his groups around 17.8 gr of 4895. I've also had real good groups around 12.3 of either 4759 or 4227, and Felix was talking up 8-9 gr of Blue Dot for a while.
Good luck, it'll drive you nuts trying to handle those little goomers to get them gas checked and sized.[smilie=s:

tom barthel
05-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Tom -
I have that Lyman mold, the Bator, and the RCBS 55 gr. mold - all 2 cavity. They are all very easy to use and produce very nice looking boolits - - getting the boolits to shoot well is another story . I have found Midsouth's prices on molds to be consistently better than Midway's .
Ted

Thanks powderpacker. I looked up midsouth and their price for one lyman 225415 mold and one thousand hornady gas checks delivered is $72.63. That's seven dollars less than midway. I made a bid in a 22 mold on e-bay. I'll wait for news from them before placing the order with midsouth.

Scrounger,if you have a lee push through in your collection, let me know. I may take it off your hands.

I really don't NEED any of this. I'm just having too much fun. I'll leave it all to family any way. I'll still enjoy it while I can.

Thanks and God bless.

Tom[smilie=s:

Dale53
05-29-2007, 11:46 PM
My Lyman 225415 is a two cavity mould. It works well and shoots well. I have only cast with linotype (i have a bit of lino and those tiny bullets sure don't use much). The performance with lino has been great in both the .22 Hornet and .221 Fireball.

However, if I was using a Lyman four cavity mould and it was a problem keeping the mould hot while casting (due to tiny cavities, etc) I would consider milling some of the metal from the blocks. It would seem to me to be an obvious move to solve the problem.

Note: I haven't tried this myself and of course it would void your warranty, but-t-t-t...

Dale53

tom barthel
05-30-2007, 07:57 AM
My Lyman 225415 is a two cavity mould. It works well and shoots well. I have only cast with linotype (i have a bit of lino and those tiny bullets sure don't use much). The performance with lino has been great in both the .22 Hornet and .221 Fireball.

However, if I was using a Lyman four cavity mould and it was a problem keeping the mould hot while casting (due to tiny cavities, etc) I would consider milling some of the metal from the blocks. It would seem to me to be an obvious move to solve the problem.

Note: I haven't tried this myself and of course it would void your warranty, but-t-t-t...

Dale53

Dale, I read the midway add wrong. I just looked at the pricing. On re reading, I discovered the mistake. I know now, that mold only comes in two cavity. I still plane to get one. Only from another source.:oops:

Bass Ackward
05-30-2007, 08:36 AM
Yep. 22s are addictive. I think it is because of the practicality. I mean you can actually load these up or down and have a practical purpose besides paper punching either way.

By that I mean, a 45 caliber isn't much good for squirrel no matter how far you load it down.

tom barthel
06-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Looks like I lost out on the e-bay mold. Someone camped out on the item and wanted it more than I did. Midway has gone uo to $52++ on their mold. I think I will just go with Midsouth. I printed an invoice off the web site. Sure hope their price hasn't changed. I'm gonna mail the MO today and hope for the best. I called them yesterday and was told the mold and gaschecks were on backorder. Things don't always go just right. Sure hope this doesn't go wrong.

Powderpacker
06-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Tom -
Another example of price differences. I'm looking for a T/C 'tender barrel - super 14" blue , adj. sights. Midsouth lists it at $213.81 - Midway lists it at $239.99 ! Same caliber , same specs. I didn't bother to run the barrels thru checkout but I'll bet Midway would want more for shipping, also .
Ted

tom barthel
06-01-2007, 05:01 PM
I just mailed my money order to midsouth for the mold and checks. It still may take a while. Both items are on back order. I have decided, I'm gonna do it no matter what. I'll probably start with unique and WC-820. I just gotta be different. As a last resort, I have IMR 4895, IMR 4198 and H-335. This should make my lead last longer. I'll probably use just as much lead by shooting a lot more. Like saving money by driving an economy car. We drive more and use just as much gas. Oh well.

georgewxxx
06-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Tom,

You never did say what you intended to shoot your .22's in. Check out Beagle's 223 articles and my 218 Bee artice on the castingfellows link below, you might get some idea's as where to start....Geo

tom barthel
06-02-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm thinking 7-8 grains of unique should be a decent starting point for my .223. I'll probably start the WC 820 around 9 grains. I'll save my H 335,IMR 3031,4895 and 4198 for jacketed loads. I may even try some light loads with those powders. I know this little Stevens 200 will shoot jacketed stuff. It should shoot cast just as well. I hope the one in nine twist will handle cast without any major issues. I'm only looking for minute of rock accuracy. Still, better would be nice.

Dale53
06-02-2007, 06:21 PM
In the .22 Hornet I use 3.0 grs of Unique for squirrels. Ditto for the .221 Fireball with 4.0 grs of Unique.

Both of these will do ½" at fifty yards from a TC handgun. They kill better than .22 rimfire (the .22 rimfire hollowpoint is too damaging for all but head shots).

They are a genuine pleasure to shoot, also.

Dale53

tom barthel
06-23-2007, 10:15 AM
My 225415 mold came in from midsouth. Yesterday, I cast about 150 bullets. They look great. I lubed about half in LLA and left them in the garage to dry. I'm going to try a few w/o gas checks just to see what it does. I've got a Lee push through sizer and a box of gas checks on the way. My nephew is getting a BIG order together for his club. He has offered to include my order in it. Saves a lot on shipping and haz-mat. My plan is to start out at 1500 to 2100 fps. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm going shooting as soon as the range dries out.